Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
GKToday Updates : 12 Nov 2020 Daily Current Affairs
1. PM Modi to virtually co-chair 17th ASEAN-India Summit today
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will co-chair the 17th ASEAN-India Summit along with PM of Vietnam Nguyen Xuan Phuc today.
- The leaders of all ten ASEAN Member States will virtually participate in the Summit.
- The Summit will review the status of ASEAN-India Strategic Partnership, COVID-19, post-pandemic economic recovery and take stock of progress made in key areas such as connectivity, maritime cooperation, trade and commerce, education and capacity building.
- The leaders will discuss ways to further strengthen ASEAN-India engagement and in this context will note the adoption of ASEAN-India Plan of Action (2021-2025).
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching classes:
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising ten countries in Southeast Asia, which promotes intergovernmental cooperation and facilitates economic, political, security, military, educational, and sociocultural integration among its members and other countries in Asia.
Members: Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, Brunei, Cambodia, Myanmar (Burma), Laos
Headquarters: Jakarta, Indonesia
2. IFSCA approves draft Banking regulations for banking operations at IFSCs
- International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) has approved draft Banking regulations for banking operations at IFSCs.
- In its meeting yesterday, the IFSC Authority approved the International Financial Services Centres Authority (Banking) Regulations, 2020.
- This will pave the way for putting in place the rules for the various aspects of banking operations that would be permissible at the IFSC.
- The Finance Ministry said, Banking constitutes one of the major focus areas of IFSC and is expected to drive and facilitate the other constituent operations in the IFSC in due course.
3. Centre brings online news & audio-visual content under purview of MIB
- Union Government has issued order bringing online films, audio-visual programmes, online news and current affairs content under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- OTT (Over-the-Top) platforms, including Netflix, Hotstar, Prime Video and online news portals are also now under purview of MIB.
- The development was announced in a gazette notification.
- Currently, there is no law or autonomous body governing digital content.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
At present, the Press Council of India looks after print media, the News Broadcasters Association (NBA) takes care of news channels, the Advertising Standards Council of India is for advertising while the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) monitors films.
4. Govt sets up Inter-Ministerial Committee to strengthen capital goods sector
- Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister Prakash Javadekar informed that the government has set up an Inter-Ministerial Committee to strengthen the capital goods sector.
- He said, these interventions will help the capital goods sector in contributing more actively towards the national goal of achieving a one trillion dollar manufacturing sector.
- The 21-member Inter-Ministerial Committee will be headed by Secretary of Department of Heavy Industries.
- He said, the committee will work out ways and means to make the capital goods sector globally competitive and to become the manufacturing hub for the world.
5. Bahrain’s longest serving PM Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa passes away
- The world’s longest serving Prime Minister, Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa of Bahrain, passed away yesterday. He was 84.
- Prince Khalifa, who took office after Bahrain gained independence in 1971, had been receiving treatment at a hospital in the US, the state media said.
- He was an uncle to the Bahraini King Hamad Bin Isa Al Khalifa.
- A week-long official mourning has been declared in Bahrain and flags will be flown at half-mast.
- Government ministries and departments will be closed for three days starting this morning.
GKToday Updates For Online banking classes:
Bahrain Capital: Manama; Currency: Bahraini dinar
6. Public Service Broadcasting Day: 12th Nov
- Public Service Broadcasting Day is observed every year on 12th November.
- The day is celebrated every year to commemorate the only visit of Mahatma Gandhi to the studio of All India Radio, Delhi in 1947.
- The Father of the Nation addressed the displaced people, who had temporarily settled at Kurukshetra in Haryana after partition.
- A special programme is organized in the premises of All India Radio, New Delhi every year to mark the occasion.