Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 15 Sep 2020 : GKToday Updates
1. PM Modi to launch seven urban infrastructure projects in Bihar today
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate and lay the foundation stone for seven urban infrastructure projects in Bihar today through video conferencing.
- Out of these, four projects are related to water supply, two to sewerage treatment and one to riverfront development. The total cost of these projects is Rs. 541 crore.
- The implementation of these projects has been undertaken by BUIDCO under Urban Development and Housing Department of Bihar.
- Chief Minister Nitish Kumar will also be present on the occasion.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc cgl:
Bihar Governor: Phagu Chauhan; Capital: Patna
2. COVID-19 Vaccine may be ready by the first quarter of 2021: Health Minister
- The COVID-19 vaccine may be ready by the first quarter of 2021, as per Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- The Health Minister shared the information while interacting with his social media followers during the first episode of Sunday Samvad. He assured that the Government is taking full precautions in conducting the human trials of the vaccine.
- He further stated that the National Expert Group on Vaccine Administration for COVID-19 under the Chairmanship of Dr. V K Paul, Member (Health), NITI Aayog is drawing up a detailed strategy on how to immunize majority of the population.
- The Indian Government is considering emergency authorization of COVID-19 vaccination so that it is made available at the earliest to those in high-risk groups such as senior citizens.
GKToday Updates Online Bank Coaching:
Currently, three vaccines are in advanced stages of trial in India, which includes two indigenously developed vaccines.
3. Harivansh Singh re-elected as Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha
- NDA candidate Harivansh Singh has been re-elected as the Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha. The upper house cleared his name with a voice vote.
- BJP President JP Nadda had moved the proposal to elect Harivansh Singh as the deputy chairman and his motion was adopted. Later, Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu announced his name.
- The Opposition had pitted Manoj Jha of RJD against Harivansh Singh. However, opposition parties did not press for voting and the JDU MP was declared elected with voice vote.
- Congratulating Harivansh Singh, Prime Minister Modi said be it as a journalist or social worker, he has endeared himself to many.
4. ADB appoints Takeo Konishi as Country Director for India
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) announced that it has appointed Takeo Konishi as Country Director of India. Takeo Konishi has succeeded Kenichi Yokoyama.
- As per the official release by ADB, Kenichi Yokoyama has taken over as Director-General of ADB’s South Asia Department and will be based at ADB headquarters in Manila.
- Takeo Konishi, as head of the country office in New Delhi, will be leading ADB’s operations and policy dialogue with the government and other developmental partners in India.
- Konishi will be overseeing the implementation of ADB’s India Country Partnership Strategy, 2018-2022.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
Currently, India is ADB’s fourth-largest shareholder and has been its largest burrower since 2010.
5. Japan’s ruling party elects Yoshihide Suga as its new leader to succeed PM Shinzo Abe
- Yoshihide Suga, Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary won the leadership vote of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) of Japan.
- Suga received 377 votes in the Party election to pick a successor to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who announced his resignation last month due to health problems.
- The other two contenders received a combined 157 votes.
- Suga is currently the chief Cabinet secretary of Abe’s government and he will be confirmed as Prime Minister by a special session of the country’s parliament on Wednesday.
- Taking over mid-term, Mr. Yoshihide Suga is expected to stay in post until elections due in September 2021.
GKToday Updates For Online banking classes:
Japan Capital: Tokyo; Currency: Japanese yen
6. Engineers’ Day being celebrated today: 15th September
- The entire nation celebrates Engineers’ Day on 15th Sept to mark the Birth Anniversary of the renowned Indian engineer Bharat Ratna Mokshagundam Viseswaraya. Civil Engineer and Statesman, Viseswaraya is popularly known as Sir M.V.
- He was the Chief Engineer of Krishna Raja Sagara dam in the Mysuru city. Mokshagundam played crucial role in important constructions and projects in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
- He used his expertise to solve the erosion problem of Visakhapatnam Port from sea water and also designed flood protection system for Hyderabad, which brought laurels.
- Several engineering institutions, organizations and educational institutions celebrate the day by organizing meetings and competitions for students.
GKToday Updates For banking classes:
He received India’s highest honour, the Bharat Ratna, in 1955.