Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 17 July 2020 : Today Gk Updates
1. WHO advises 140 tests per day per million population
– The World Health Organization released its Guidance note on Public Health Criteria to adjust Public Health and Social Measures.
– Under the guidance note, the organization advised comprehensive surveillance for suspected cases. WHO advises that a country has to conduct 140 COVID-19 tests per day per million population.
– With the various coordinated efforts made by the Centre and the States/UTs, 22 States/UTs in India are already conducting 140 and more tests per day per million.
Static GK FOR IBPS RRB Online Classes:
With 865 labs in the government sector and 358 private labs, the total number of testing labs is 1223, as on date.
2. AAI, BEL sign MoU for co-operation in civil aviation sector
– The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) to collaborate in tapping emerging global opportunities in the airport business, including those in the Asia-Pacific region.
– AAl, playing the role of a development partner will assist BEL in its domain of expertise to enable execution of the prestigious MEA projects outside India by BEL.
– The manufacturing of Communication, Navigation & Surveillance (CNS) equipment in India will reduce the cost substantially and will save foreign exchange outflow, paving the way for an “Atmanirbhar Bharat”.
Static GK For IBPS RRB 2020:
The Airports Authority of India or AAI is a statutory body working under the Ministry of Civil Aviation, Government of India is responsible for creating, upgrading, maintaining and managing civil aviation infrastructure in India.
Headquarters: New Delhi
3. Odisha CM inaugurates first plasma bank for the treatment of COVID-19 patients
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the first plasma bank for the treatment of serious COVID-19 patients at SCB Medical College.
During the inauguration, he announced that Plasma Therapy will be free of cost for the people of Odisha.
Chief Minister also highlighted that the state government is committed to provide advanced medical care and treatment to the people of the state.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Online Exams
After Delhi and Maharashtra, Odisha has become the third state to provide the facility of plasma bank for the treatment of patients suffering from COVID-19.
4. Indian Railways to be fully electrified in next 3.5 years
– Indian Railways will move towards 100 percent electrification in the next 3.5 years and 100 percent Net Zero operator in the next 9-10 years, announced Railways Minister Piyush Goyal while addressing an event organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
– The Minister also highlighted that the central government is promoting Make in India for renewable energy and is fully committed to make the industry Atma Nirbhar.
– The Minister stated that India has invested deeply in the transmission sector for the widespread availability of sector.
4. India-Bhutan opens new trade route to ease connectivity between two countries
– India and Bhutan opened up a new trade route on between Pasakha in Bhutan and Jaigaon in West Bengal.
– The new land route between India and Bhutan for the movement of goods and Industrial raw materials destined for Pasakha Industrial Estate will boost bilateral trade and commerce.
– Ruchira Kamboj, Ambassador of India highlighted the significance of the step and mentioned that the new trade route between Jaigaon and Pasakha will facilitate the connectivity between the two countries in the present COVID-19 times. It will further strengthen the special relationship between India and Bhutan.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Online Exams
Bhutan capital: Thimphu; Prime minister: Lotay Tshering
6. Former principal secretary to Kerala suspended in connection with gold smuggling case
– In Kerala, former Principal Secretary to the Chief Minister and former IT secretary M.Sivasankar has been suspended from service pending inquiry in connection with Gold smuggling case.
– Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan informed that the suspension of Sivasankar was based on the report of the committee, headed by the Chief Secretary which enquired into allegations that the officer had links with the accused in the gold smuggling case.
– The Chief Minister said that Sivasankar has been suspended for violation of All-India Service Rules and the departmental inquiry against him will continue.