Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
GKToday Updates : 17 Nov 2020 Daily Current Affairs
1. PM Modi to attend 12th BRICS Summit today via videoconferencing
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend the 12th BRICS Summit to be held in a virtual format today.
- It is being hosted by Russia, under the theme Global Stability, Shared Security, and Innovative Growth.
- The summit will focus on intra-BRICS cooperation and key issues in the global context, including the reform of the multilateral system, counter-terrorism, trade, health, energy, and ways to offset the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching classes:
India will take over the chair of BRICS which will be the third BRICS presidency for India since its inception (after 2012 and 2016) and will host the 13th BRICS Summit next year.
2. Second phase of the Malabar Exercise begins today in the Northern Arabian Sea
- The second phase of Malabar Exercise 2020 will begin today in the Northern Arabian Sea.
- Taking forward the synergy achieved in the recently concluded Phase one of Malabar Exercise 2020, which was conducted earlier this month, this phase will involve coordinated operations of increasing complexity between the navies of Australia, India, Japan and the United States.
- Phase Two will witness joint operations, centered around the Vikramaditya Carrier battle group of the Indian Navy and Nimitz Carrier Strike Group of the US Navy would be engaged in high intensity naval operations over four days.
3. Nitish Kumar takes oath as Bihar CM for 7th time
- JDU Chief Nitish Kumar took oath as the Chief Minister of Bihar for the record 7th time on Nov 16, 2020 at Raj Bhavan in Patna.
- Bihar Governor Phagu Chauhan had administered the swearing-in ceremony.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah and National BJP President JP Nadda were also present on the occasion.
- Nitish Kumar has been sworn in as the Bihar Chief Minister for fourth consecutive term.
- Deputy Chief Ministers Tarkishore Prasad and Renu Devi have also been sworn in yesterday.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
Renu Devi has become the first woman Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar.
4. Soumitra Chatterjee, legendary Bengali Film Actor passes away at 85
- Soumitra Chatterjee, the legendary film actor of Bengal passed away on Nov 15 in Kolkata at the age of 85.
- The star of Bengali cinema and winner of the Dada Saheb Phalke Award was known for his collaborations with the Oscar-winner legendary director Satyajit Ray especially for the role of detective ‘Feluda’ and Apu in Ray’s ‘Apur Sansar’.
- Apart from the movies, Soumitra Chatterjee was known as a noted reciter, poet, and actor.
- PM Modi and West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee mourned the demise of the legendary Bengali movie star and mentioned his death as a loss to the world of cinema.
5. DIPAM inks agreement with World Bank
- Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) signed an agreement with World Bank under which World Bank will provide advisory services to DIPAM for asset monetization.
- DIPAM is mandated with facilitating monetization of non-core assets of government CPSEs under strategic disinvestment or closure and enemy property of value of Rs. 100 crore and above. DIPAM has a framework for monetizing non-core assets.
- The World Bank advisory project, approved by the Finance Minister, is aimed at analyzing public asset monetization in India and benchmarking its institutional and business models against international best practices as well as supporting development of operational guidelines and capacity building for their implementation.
GKToday Updates For Online banking classes:
The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans and grants to the governments of low and middle income countries for the purpose of pursuing capital projects.
Headquarters: Washington D.C., United States; President: David Malpass
6. SpaceX, NASA launches first operational astronaut mission to space
- SpaceX launched four astronauts to the International Space Station on the first full-fledged taxi flight for NASA by a private company.
- The Falcon 9 thundered into the night from Kennedy Space Center with three Americans and one Japanese, the second crew to be launched by SpaceX.
- The crew will be spending 27 hours in orbit as the spacecraft will slowly manoeuvre toward its destination.
- It was for the first time in the history of the space agency that the design, testing, and development of the new human-rated spacecraft were handed over to the private sector.
GKToday Updates For Online SSC classes:
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration is an independent agency of the U.S. federal government responsible for the civilian space program, as well as aeronautics and space research. NASA was established in 1958.
Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States