Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 17TH JAN 2020 – Today GK Updates
1. Ladakh hosts first ever Food Processing Summit to attract investors
- Ladakh is hosting the first ever Food Processing Summit to attract investors to the region. Over a hundred entrepreneurs from Leh and Kargil are participating in the Summit
- With the help of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry and the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, the UT Administration of Ladakh is organizing the Summit.
- Ladakh region has vast scope for investment in food Processing Industries in horticulture products like Apricot, Sea buckthorn, Apple and agricultural produce like buckwheat and barley.
STATIC GK for IBPS PO 2020:
Ladakh declared Union territory: 31 October 2019
Capitals: Leh, Kargil
Lieutenant Governor: Radha Krishna Mathur
2. Fifth Science Film festival kick-starts in Goa
- The fifth edition of Science Film Festival of India, SCI-FFI 2020, was kick-started on in Goa’s capital city Panaji.
- The four-day-long festival was inaugurated by Chief Minister, Dr. Paramod Sawant.
- The festival aims at instilling the knowledge of science among the youth with the help of exhibitions, masterclasses, workshops, and other activities.
- A special workshop named “Million Soul” also conducted on training about making Solar Lamps by IIT Bombay. And it will also aim at teaching participants about the health, educational and environmental benefits of Solar Energy.
STATIC GK For SSC Online Classes:
Goa’s Capital: Panaji
Chief Minister: Manohar Parrikar
Governor: Mridula Sinha
Folk Dances: Talgadi, Mando, Kunbi dance
3. Sujit Pandey takes charge as Lucknow Police Commissioner
- After the Yogi Adityanath government cleared the commissionerate system in Lucknow and Noida, senior IPS officer Sujit Pandey has taken charge as the first Police Commissioner of Lucknow.
- Senior IPS officer Alok Singh also took charge as the Noida Police Commissioner.
- Yogi Adityanath government had approved the commissionerate system of policing in Lucknow and Noida.
- The system gives more powers, including magisterial powers, to police officers and is aimed at better and effective policing making it more tech-savy.
STATIC GK For SBI Clerk online classes :
Uttar Pradesh is called the Sugar Bowl of India.
Chief Minister : Yogi Adityanath
Governor: Anandiben Patel
4. 7th Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Conference 2020
- The 7th Conference of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) India Region started at the legislative assembly building in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- The main theme of the conference is ‘ROLE OF LEGISLATORS’.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla inaugurated the Conference in the presence of Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
- Around 100 Delegates of 15 state assemblies and representatives of some foreign countries have reached Lucknow to take part in the 7th Conference of CPA India Region.
Visit here For Daily GK Updates:
Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, previously known as the Empire Parliamentary Association, is an organisation which works to support good governance, democracy and human rights.
Headquarters: Secretariat is based in London.
Secretary-General: Mr Akbar Khan.
5. Mega campaign ‘Saksham’ launched by Petroleum Minister
- ‘Saksham’ a flagship program of Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) and Oil PSUs, a one month long mega campaign was inaugurated by Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan in New Delhi.
- It is an initiative for adding values to the various efforts being made in the country for saving fuel.
- This campaign aims to spread the message of fuel conservation and greener environment across India.
- During this campaign, PCRA along with Oil and Gas companies will carry out various activities like ‘Saksham’ cycle Day, Cyclothons, Workshops for drivers of commercial vehicles, seminars for housewives on adopting simple fuel saving measures, Nationwide campaign through Radio, TV, Digital Cinemas, Outdoor etc. with a focus on reaching out to various segments of fuel users.
6. New Gold Hallmarking process
- Union Consumer Minister Ram Vilas Paswan announced on January 14, 2020, that Indian jewellers will be allowed to sell hallmarked gold artifacts made of 14, 18 and 22-carat gold only.
- The government make the process of hallmarking of gold jewellery mandatory but it will give one year’s time to jewellers to register themselves with the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) and clear their old stock.
- If jewellery or artefacts made of 14, 18 and 22 carat gold are sold without a BIS hallmark, and then the jeweller could attract penalty and imprisonment of one year.
- Minister also announced that the government aims to open hallmarking centers in all districts across the country.
- Gold hallmarking is a purity certification of the precious metal and is voluntary in nature at present.
STATIC GK For RRB Online Classes:
BIS – Founded: 23 December 1986
Headquarters: New Delhi
Hallmark on gold jewellery now has four marks: BIS mark, purity in carat, assay centre’s name and jewellers’ identification mark.
7. Postal Ballot now for PwDs and super Senior Citizens too
- Person with Disabilities (PwDs) and people over 80 years of age can now cast their vote in Delhi Assembly Election through postal ballot.
- For the first time, Delhi Metro, Northern Railway Employees and media persons covering polling can also use postal ballot facility to cast their votes.
- Till now, voting through postal ballot was available to armed forces and those assigned in poll duties.
- Employee of essential service will have to fill the form 12(D) and submit before 19th of this month to avail the postal ballot facility.
- Ramp, sign language, Braille and pick and drop facilities will be available for disabled persons at polling stations.
- Its Objective is to make each and everyone to participate in the election process.
STATIC GK For SBI Clerk online classes :
Election Commission of India – Formed: 25 January 1950
Chief Election Commissioner of India: Sunil Arora