Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 18 August 2020 : GKToday Updates
1. PM Modi to inaugurate World’s First Solar Technology Summit to be held on Sept 8
- The World’s First Solar Technology Summit will be organized by International Solar Alliance (ISA) on a virtual platform on 8th Sept.
- Sharing details of the summit, President of the ISA Assembly and New and Renewable Energy Minister R. K.
- Singh said Prime Minister Narendra Modi will deliver the inaugural address of the First World Solar Technology Summit and it will be attended by Ministers from member countries from across all ISA regions.
- High-level dignitaries from the world of Scientific Research and Development and a CEO’s conclave will set the tone of the deliberations on low cost, innovative and affordable solar technologies.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
The International Solar Alliance is an alliance of 121 countries initiated by India, most of them being sunshine countries, which lie either completely or partly between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.
Headquarters location: Gurugram; Founded at: Paris, France
2. Rakesh Asthana appointed as DG of Border Security Force
- The Central government has appointed Gujarat cadre IPS officer – Rakesh Asthana as the new director general of the Border Security Force (BSF).
- At present, he is working as the Director General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security.
- Asthana, a 1984 batch IPS officer of Gujarat cadre who has earlier served as CBI special director, will continue to hold additional charge of DG, Narcotics Control Bureau.
Currently, DG Indo-Tibet Border Police (ITBP) chief S S Deswal was holding the additional charge of BSF since March this year.
3. Legendary Indian classical vocalist Pandit Jasraj passes away
- Legendary Indian classical vocalist Pandit Jasraj passed away yesterday at his home due to a cardiac arrest in
- New Jersey, USA. He was 90.
His performances of classical and semi-classical vocals have become albums and film soundtracks. Jasraj has taught music in India, Canada and the US.
- President, Vice President and Prime Minister have expressed grief over the demise of Pandit Jasraj.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc cgl:
Pandit Jasraj’s musical career spanned for almost 80 years, which saw him being awarded with top honours including Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Sri.
4. Govt launches e-portal on tribal health & nutrition
- Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda inaugurated the e-portal on tribal health and nutrition named ‘Swasthya’.
- The portal provides all health and nutrition related information of the tribal population of India on a single platform.
- Swasthya will also curate innovative practices, case studies and best practices collected from different parts of India to facilitate the exchange of evidence, expertise and experiences.
- Speaking on the occasion, Mr Munda said, the launch of the portal is a first step towards the much bigger goal of serving the tribal population of the nation.
5. Nitin Gadkari lays foundation stone for 13 highway projects in Manipur
- Union Road and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari laid the foundation stone for 13 highway projects in Manipur through video conferencing. He also inaugurated a Road Safety Project in the State during the event.
- Under the highways project, over 3 thousand crore rupees will be spent for development of 316 Kilometres roads in the State.
- Union DoNER Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh, Union MoS of Road Transport and Highways Gen (Retd) VK Singh, Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh, his cabinet members, MPs and senior officers of both centre and state government were present in the function.