Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 19 Sep 2020 : GKToday Updates
1. Udit Singhal named in UN’s 2020 list of Young Leaders for Sustainable Development Goals
- Udit Singhal, an 18-year old Indian boy has been named by the United Nations in the list of 2020 Class of Young Leaders for Sustainable Development Goals.
- It is a highest-profile recognition opportunity for the youngsters who are leading efforts on the world’s most pressing issues.
- He is the founder of Glass2Sand, a zero-waste ecosystem that has been addressing the growing problem of glass waste in Delhi.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
The 2020 Class of 17 Young Leaders included the representatives from Bangladesh, Australia, Bulgaria, Brazil, Columbia, China, Egypt, Ireland, India, Nigeria, Liberia, Senegal, Peru, Pakistan, Uganda, Turkey and United States.
2. Centre permits up to 74 percent FDI under automatic route in defence sector
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) has issued a press note permitting Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) above 74% in the defence production on the automatic route.
- This would be subject to access to modern technology or for ‘other reasons’ that needs to be recorded.
- The press note issued by the DPIIT has stipulated that foreign investments in the defence sector will be subject to the scrutiny on the grounds of the national security.
GKToday Updates For Online banking classes:
Till now, 100% of foreign investments were permitted in the defence industry, where 49% was under the automatic route and government approval was required beyond that.
3. Singapore tops Global Smart City Index
- The Institute for Management Development (IMD) in collaboration with Singapore University for Technology and Design (SUTD) has released the 2020 Smart City Index, with key findings on how technology is playing a role in the COVID-19 era.
- The Smart City Index (SCI) was topped by Singapore, followed by Helsinki and Zurich in the second and the third place respectively.
- Four Indian cities- New Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Bengaluru witnessed a significant drop in their rankings in the global listing of smart cities.
GKToday Updates For banking classes:
Hyderabad was placed at the 85th position, New Delhi at 86th rank, Mumbai at 93rd place and Bengaluru at 95th.
3. UP govt decides to give cows to families with malnourished children
- In a unique step towards eliminating the malnourishment among children, Uttar Pradesh government has decided to give cows to the families with malnourished children which will ensure availability of milk for them.
- The step taken under the ‘Poshan Abhiyan’ campaign will help in bringing down the level of malnourishment among children and women in the state.
- The cows will be given to the families who are willing to keep them and also have available space for them.
An amount of 30 rupees per day will also be given through DBT to the family for taking care of the cow.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc cgl:
UP Governor: Anandiben Patel; Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
5. Karnataka Govt launches loan disbursal programme “Arthika Spandana”
- Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa launched the “Arthika Spandana” programme.
- Under this scheme loans worth Rs. 39,300 crore would be disbursed through various cooperative institutions, for helping people during the times of COVID-19 and floods.
- Of the total amount approved under the scheme, Rs. 15,300 crore would be disbursed to the agriculture sector while Rs. 24,000 crore would be earmarked for the non-agricultural sector.
- The Chief Minister handed over cheques towards loans to 50 beneficiaries, during the launch.
6. World Bamboo Day: 18th September
World Bamboo Day is observed on 18th September every year to raise awareness about the benefits of bamboo and to promote its use in everyday products.
This day was officially declared by the World Bamboo Organization on September 18 at the 8th World Bamboo Congress held in Bangkok in 2009.
The theme for the 11th edition of WBD 2020 is ‘BAMBOO NOW’.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc CHSL:
World Bamboo Day was founded by Kamesh Salam as former president of the World Bamboo Organisation in 2009.