Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
21st May Today Current Affairs and GK Updates
1. 15th Finance Commission to meet its high level group on health sector
The 15th Finance Commission will hold a meeting with its High Level Group (HLG) on the health sector today. The meeting will take place through a virtual conference.
The 15th Finance Commission constituted the High Level Group in 2018 that included eminent professionals from the health sector. The group also submitted its final report in August 2019 whose recommendations were incorporated in the first report of the commission.
Giving the highest priority to the health sector, the 15th Finance Commission has decided to reconvene HLG given the recent developments amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Exams
The Fifteenth Finance Commission is an Indian Finance Commission constituted in November 2017.
Chairman: Nand Kishore Singh
2. Indian Steel Association names Dilip Oommen as next President
– Indian Steel Association (ISA) appointed Dilip Oommen as its new President with immediate effect.
– An extraordinary board meeting was called to decide on the leadership of the association after Tata Steel CEO TV Narendran stepped down as President on May 1, months before the end of his term in August. Oommen was unanimously appointed as President for the next two years.
– Oommen is a veteran of the steel industry with more than 37 years of experience and an alumnus of Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (IIT-K).
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL Exams
The Indian Steel Association (ISA) is the voice of the Indian Steel Industry in both domestic and global forums.
3. Railway Minister announces to run 200 non-Ac trains daily from June 1
– Railway Minister Piyush Goyal announced that Indian railways will start to run 200 non-Ac trains on a daily basis from June 1, 2020. These trains will be in addition to the Shramik Special Trains.
– The railway minister stated that within the next two days the Indian railway will double the number of Shramik trains to 400. He also requested all the migrant workers to stay where they are and the railways will get them home in the next few days.
– The Railway Ministry had earlier announced to run 15 pairs of passenger trains from May 12 with Ac coaches. The trains will have limited stops and will connect Delhi to different cities across the country.
3. NABARD to Provide Financial Aid worth Rs 20,500 Crore for Agricultural Operations
NABARD has decided to provide financial assistance to Cooperative Banks and Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) in order to increase the efficacy of their pre-monsoon Kharif operations.
The financial aid is worth Rs 20,500 crores. While Rs 15,200 crores out of the total amount will be provided to the farmers through cooperative banks, the remaining amount of Rs 5,300 crore will be allocated through RRBs as a special liquidity facility across various states.
The fund will be given as a means of front-loading the resources of these banks in order to maintain adequate liquidity with the banks for financing the farmers in the future.
Static GK For Bank Exams:
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development is an Apex Development Financial Institution in India. The Bank has been entrusted with “matters concerning Policy Planning and Operations in the field of credit for Agriculture and other Economic activities in rural areas in India”.
Founded: 12 July 1982; Headquarters: Mumbai
Chairperson: Harsh Kumar Bhanwala
6. World Bee Day: 20 May
– World Bee Day 2020 is observed across the globe on 20th May every year.
– The World Bee Day celebration is done in order to raise awareness amongst the people about the importance of bees in the universe.
– The World Bee Day was started by the United Nations General Assembly so that bees conservation is highlighted for sustainable development.
– World Bee Day 2020 theme is “Save the Bees”.