Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 29 July 2020 : Today Gk Updates
1. FM Nirmala Sitharaman attends 5th Annual Meeting of Board of Governors of AIIB
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman attended the 5th Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) through video conference in New Delhi.
- The discussions at the meeting broadly covered official business including election of the President of the AIIB and a roundtable discussion on the theme ‘AIIB 2030-Supporting Asia’s Development over the Next Decade’.
- FM talked about Prime Minister’s initiative of creating a COVID-19 Emergency Fund for SAARC Nations and highlighted India’s efforts in supplying critical medical health kits to tackle the COVID-19 and support towards the global efforts of COVID-19 vaccine trials.
Static GK FOR IBPS RRB Online Classes:
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank is a multilateral development bank that aims to support the building of infrastructure in the Asia-Pacific region.
Headquarters: Beijing, China
2. HRD Minister launches India Report on Digital Education, 2020
- Human Resources and Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank launched India Report on Digital Education, 2020.
- The report elaborates on the innovative methods adopted by Ministry of HRD, Education Departments of States and Union Territories for ensuring accessible and inclusive education to children at home and reducing learning gaps.
- The Ministry said, it has initiated many projects to assist teachers, scholars and students in their pursuit of learning like DIKSHA platform, Swayam Prabha TV Channel, Shiksha Vani, e-PathShala and telecast through TV channels.
3. IRCTC, SBI Card launch new Co-branded Contactless Credit Card on RuPay Platform
- IRCTC and SBI Card together launched their new Co-branded Contactless Credit Card on RuPay Platform. Railway Minister Piyush Goyal dedicated this new card to the Nation.
- The new RuPay credit card is equipped with Near Field Communication (NFC) technology with which users can expedite their transactions at the POS machines by just tapping the card on the machines.
- Speaking on the occasion, Mr Goyal said government is strongly committed in making Railways ‘Aatma Nirbhar’ in all the fields. He said, launch of this card is one of the many “Make In India” activities undertaken by the Railways.
Static GK For IBPS RRB 2020:
Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) is a subsidiary of the Indian Railways that handles the catering, tourism and online ticketing operations of the Railways.
Headquarters: New Delhi
4. PM Modi, PM Jugnauth to inaugurate new Supreme Court Building of Mauritius
- PM Narendra Modi and his Mauritius counterpart will jointly inaugurate the new Supreme Court Building of Mauritius on July 30.
- The inauguration is scheduled to take place through video-conference in presence of senior members of Judiciary from Mauritius and other dignitaries from both countries.
- The building has been constructed with Indian grant assistance and will be the first India assisted infrastructure project within the capital city of Port Louis.
- The new Supreme Court building project is one of the five projects being implemented under the ‘Special Economic Package’ of 353 million dollars extended by India to Mauritius in 2016.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Online Exams
Mauritius Capital: Port Louis; Currency: Mauritian rupee
Prime minister: Pravind Jugnauth
5. World Hepatitis Day: 28th July
- The World Health Organization observes “World Hepatitis Day” on 28th July every year.
- The day is celebrated to enhance awareness of viral hepatitis, an inflammation of the liver that causes a range of health problems, including liver cancer.
- This year’s theme is “Hepatitis-free future,” with a strong focus on preventing hepatitis B among mothers and newborns. The date of 28 July was chosen because it is the birthday of Nobel-prize winning scientist Dr Baruch Blumberg, who discovered the hepatitis B virus (HBV) and developed a diagnostic test and vaccine for the virus.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL Online Exams
There are five main strains of the hepatitis virus – A, B, C, D and E. Together, hepatitis B and C are the most common cause of deaths, with 1.3 million lives lost each year.
6. Mumbai’s serological survey: 57% in slums, 16% from societies exposed to coronavirus
- The findings of the initial round of a serological survey conducted by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, Niti Aayog and Tata Institute of Fundamental Research were released.
- The results showed that an estimated 57 % respondents in slums and 16 % people from residential societies are exposed to coronavirus.
- The serological survey, which looks for antibodies in the blood, was carried out in the Chembur, North Wadala and North Dahisar areas in the first week of July and 6,936 samples were collected.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Online Exams
Overall, the sero-survey found that 40 percent had had the coronavirus infection.
7. West Bengal govt extends biweekly lockdown till August 31
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee announced that the state government has decided to extend the biweekly lockdown till August 31, 2020.
- To curb the spread of Coronavirus in the state, there will be a complete shutdown for two days across the state every week.
- As per the Chief Minister, the lockdown in the containment zones has also been extended.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL Online Classes
Earlier, the biweekly lockdown was in force till July 31 but in the wake of rising cases, the government has decided to extend the plan.