Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
TODAY GK UPDATES & CURRENT AFFAIRS – 12th FEB 2020
1. US approves sale of Integrated Air Defence Weapon System to India
- The United States Government has approved the sale of Integrated Air Defense Weapon System (IADWS) to India. The US has approved this deal of USD 1.9 billion (about Rs. 13,000 crores).
- The Integrated Air Defense Weapon System (IADWS) includes air defence weapon systems, AMRAAM missiles, NASAMS-II, surface-to-air missiles, radars, etc.
- US President Donald Trump will visit India on February 23-26, 2020 and the deal would most probably be sealed during President Trump’s visit to India.
STATIC GK for SBI Clerk online classes :
Capital: Washington, D.C.
Population: 32.72 crores (2018)
2. Mumbai to get India’s largest air quality monitoring network
- The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) will develop an air quality monitoring network across 90 locations in Mumbai making it the largest network in India.
- These stations will give location-wise updates on the quality of air. While 10 mobile sensors will collect samples from different parts of the city to analyze the air quality.
- The decision was made as Mumbai saw a rise in particulate matter concentration by 80 per cent from 2007 to 2018 at PM10 which was eight times the international standards.
GK TODAY UPDATES for SSC CGL Online Classes:
Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari; Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
Capital: Mumbai; Formation: 1 May 1960 (Maharashtra Day)
3. BSNL, Air India, MTNL highest loss-making PSUs in FY19
- The Department of Public Enterprises operating under Ministry of Heavy Industries tabled the “Public Enterprises Survey” in Parliament that says the net profit from PSUs has increased by 15.5% as compared to the previous year.
- Acc to the survey Indian Oil Corporation, NTPC and ONGC were the top three profitable PSUs respectively while BSNL, Air India and MTNL incurred highest losses for a third consecutive year.
- Total income from Central Public Sector Enterprises showed a growth of 20.12 per cent.
Today GK Update for SBI Clerk online classes :
BSNL is an Indian state-owned telecommunications company, headquartered in New Delhi, Delhi, India. It was incorporated by Government of India on 1 October 2000.
It provides mobile voice and internet services through its nationwide telecommunications network across India.
4. UP Cabinet approves Ground Water Act-2020 to improve ground water levels
- The Ground Water Act-2020 is aimed at improving the quality of the groundwater level.
- The Uttar Pradesh Cabinet, chaired by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath approved the Ground Water Act-2020on February 11, 2020 to improve the falling groundwater level.
- Under the act, farmers as well as domestic users will not be required to pay any amount to use the pumps and all boring companies will need to get their registration done. They will also have to update all the information in every three months.
Today GK Update for SSC CGL Online Classes:
Uttar Pradesh was created on 1 April 1937 as the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh during British rule, and was renamed Uttar Pradesh in 1950.
Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath; Governor: Anandiben Patel; Capital: Lucknow
5. India will be hosting COP13 UN Summit on conservation of migratory birds from Feb 17
- The 13th Conference of Parties (COP) of the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS) will be hosted by India during 17 to 22 February at Gandhinagar, Gujarat. As the host, India shall be designated the President for the next three years.
- The Government of India is Signatory to the Convention on Conservation of Migratory Wild Animals since 1983.
- The theme of CMS COP13 in India is, “Migratory species connect the planet and we welcome them home”.
6. Solar Orbiter Blasts Off on Historic Mission
- Europe and NASA’s Solar Orbiter rocketed into space Sunday night on an unprecedented mission to capture the first pictures of the Sun’s elusive poles.
- While Solar Orbiter won’t venture close enough to penetrate the Sun’s corona, or crown-like outer atmosphere, like Parker, it will manoeuvre into a unique out-of-plane orbit that will take it over both poles, never photographed before.
- Solar Orbiter — a boxy 4,000-pound spacecraft will swing past Venus in December and again next year, and then past Earth, using the planets’ gravity to alter its path.