Get Updated Test Series on Takshila Learning
Current Affairs 30 Oct 2019 & Daily GK Update In English
1. ‘Aarambh’, common foundation course for IAS probationers held in Statue of Unity
- The Centre’s first-ever common foundation course “Aarambh” (Beginning) for 2019 batch probationer civil servants has begun at the Statue of Unity in Kevadia, Gujarat.
- There are around 500 newly recruited bureaucrats are undergoing six-day training. The theme this year is ‘How to achieve the goal of making India a 5 trillion dollar economy’.
2. Odisha govt inks LoU for ‘drink from tap mission’ with UNICEF
- Odisha has inked a Letter of Understanding (LoU) on “drink from tap mission” with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
- The main objective of the mission is to provide piped quality drinking water supply to each household on a 24-hour basis. UNICEF will provide technical cooperation to the government of Odisha.
- The community-based water management system will be adopted at ward-level and in the first phase 1.20 lakh people will be the beneficiaries.
Daily GK Updates for IBPS PO Online Classes:
- Headquarter of UNICEF: New York, USA; Founded: 11th Dec 1946.
3. CM Patnaik launches ‘Odisha Mo Parivar’ programme
- Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik launched “Odisha Mo Parivar” (Odisha, My Family) programme.
- It is a social service initiative aimed at encouraging environment protection, blood donation and the welfare of Odias in distress.
Daily GK Updates for IBPS CLERK Online Classes:
- Governor of Odisha: Ganeshi Lal; Capital: Bhubaneswar.
4. President confers first National CSR Awards
- President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the first National Corporate Social Responsibility Awards to the companies for their outstanding contribution in the area of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
- The first National CSR Awards ceremony in New Delhi. The CSR provisions under the Companies Act, 2013 came into force from April 1, 2014.
5. RBI Fined Rs 35 lakh penalty on Tamilnad Mercantile Bank
- The Reserve Bank has imposed a penalty of Rs 35 lakh on Tamilnad Mercantile Bank for violating norms on fraud classification and notification.
- It stated that the bank has been penalized for non-compliance with certain provisions of directions issued by RBI on fraud classification and reporting by commercial banks and select FIs directions 2016.
Daily GK Updates for IBPS Clerk Online Classes
i. Tamilnad Mercantile Bank based in Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu.
ii.RBI is India’s central bank, which controls the issuance and supply of the Indian rupee.
6. Birender Singh Yadav to be next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Iraq
- Birender Singh Yadav has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Iraq.
- The 1997 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer, Birender Singh replaced Pradeep Singh Rajpurohit as the ambassador.
Daily GK Updates for SBI Clerk Online Classes
- President of Iraq: Barham Salih; Prime minister: Adil Abdul-Mahdi.
- Capital of Iraq: Baghdad; Currency: Iraqi dinar.
7. Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde Appointed as 47th Chief Justice of India
- Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde was appointed as the 47th Chief Justice of India. Justice Bobde will take oath as the CJI on November 18th, a day after incumbent Ranjan Gogoi demits office. He will have a tenure of 17 months and would demit office on 23rd April 2021.
- A judge since 2000, Justice Bobde joined the Bombay High Court as an additional judge. He was appointed as the chief justice of the Madhya Pradesh High Court on October 2012. In April 2013, he was elevated to the Supreme Court.
Daily GK Updates for SBI PO Online Classes
- Ranjan Gogoi is the 46th and current Chief Justice of India.
- The Supreme Court of India came into existence on 26th January 1950 and is located in New Delhi.
- KK Venugopal is present Attorney General of India.
8. G C Murmu and R K Mathur appointed as new Lt Governors of J&K and Ladakh respectively
- The Union Government has appointed former Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officers Girish Chandra Murmu and Radha Krishna Mathur as the first Lieutenant (Lt) Governors of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) and Ladakh respectively.
- These newly appointed governors succeed Satya Pal Malik. These Union Territories will come into existence on October 31, 2019.
- Satya Pal Malik has been transferred and appointed as Governor of Goa, succeeding Mridula Sinha. Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Kerala state president P S Sreedharan Pillai was appointed as the 15th governor of Mizoram succeeding Jagdish Mukhi.
|1.||J&K||Girish Chandra Murmu||Satya Pal Malik|
|2.||Ladakh||Radha Krishna Mathur||Satya Pal Malik|
|3.||Mizoram||P S Sreedharan Pillai||Jagdish Mukhi|
|4.||Goa||Satya Pal Malik||Mridula Sinha|
9. 9th edition of Bangladesh-India Friendship Dialogue
- The 9th edition of Bangladesh-India Friendship Dialogue will be held at Cox Bazar in Bangladesh from November 1, 2019.
- The dialogue aims to draw from learning and experiences in these sectors between India and Bangladesh.
- The two-day dialogue will cover a wide range of issues like trade and investment, connectivity, technology, energy, regional security, extremism, and sustainable development among others.
- The event will be organized jointly by the India Foundation and Bangladesh Foundation for Regional Studies.
Daily GK Updates for SSC CGL Online Classes
- Bangladesh Capital: Dhaka; Currency: Taka; PM: Sheikh Hasina.
10. HBR’s list of 10 best performing CEOs has 3 Indian-origin CEOs
- The Best-Performing CEOs in the World, 2019′ list compiled by the Harvard Business Review (HBR) features 100 CEOs. The list has been topped by American technology company NVIDIA’s CEO Jensen Huang. Among the top 10 chief executives on the list, 3 spots have been occupied by the Indian-origin CEOs.
- Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen was ranked 6th, followed by MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga was ranked 7th and Microsoft chief Satya Nadella on the 9th spot. The list also features India-born CEO of DBS BankPiyush Gupta on the 89th spot. Apple CEO Tim Cook was ranked 62nd in the list. The 2019 list has 4 female CEOs in the top 50 of the rankings.
- The HBR took into account three metrics for each CEO’s tenure: the total shareholder return (including dividends reinvested) adjusted by country and by industry and change in market capitalisation (adjusted for dividends, share issues, and share repurchases), measured in inflation-adjusted USD.
11. Satwiksairaj Rankireddy-Chirag Shetty bags silver medal at French Open
- Indian men’s doubles pair Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy has won the silver medal in the men’s doubles event at French Open.
- The Indian pair lost the summit clash to the Indonesian pair of Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo by 18-21, 16-21.
12. ICC bans Bangladeshi cricketer Shakib Al Hasan for 2 years
- The International Cricket Council has banned Bangladesh Test and T20 Captain Shakib Al Hasan for 2 years from all forms of cricket. The Bangladeshi cricketer has been banned for not reporting to the ICC that he was approached by the bookies.
- The cricketer was approached by the bookies during the 2018 home tri-series against Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka. One year of the punishment has been suspended after he accepted three charges of breaching the ICC Anti-Corruption Code.
Daily GK Updates for SSC Online Classes
- ICC Chairman: Shashank Manohar; Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- The 13th edition of ICC Cricket World Cup will be held in India from February 9 to March 26, 2023.
13. Lewis Hamilton wins Mexico Grand Prix 2019
- Mercedes’ driver and 5-time world champion Lewis Hamilton clinched his 10th win of the season for Mercedes at the Mexican Grand Prix 2019.
- Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel, a German racing driver, and Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas, a Finnish racing driver, finished second and third respectively.
14. Tiger Woods clinched historic 82nd title with Zozo Championship 2019
- The Zozo Championship 2019 tournament title was clinched by America’s Tiger Woods, aged 43, which was his 82nd PGA Tour crown.
- He sealed a historic three-stroke win to draw level with Sam Snead (America) for the most victories on Tour.
- The Zozo Championship 2019, a professional golf tournament, was held at Accordia Golf Narashino Country Club, Chiba, Japan. It was the first event sanctioned tournament by the PGA (Professional Golfers’ Association) Tour in Japan, in a deal that will last until at least 2025. The prize money of the tournament was US$9.75 million.
15. Padma Shri awardee & India’s oldest Yoga teacher Nanammal passes away
- Padma Shri awardee & India’s oldest Yoga teacher Nanammal passed away at 99. She had bagged 150 awards, 6 national-level gold medals and Yoga Ratna award of the Government of Karnataka in 2014.
- She was also conferred the Padma Shri in January 2019 for her efforts to make people lead a healthy life.
16. Facebook launches healthcare tool for check-up reminders
- Facebook has unveiled a ‘Preventive Health’ tool that connects people to health resources and sends check-up reminders. Facebook has launched the tool in the United States.
- The tool is designed to help users of the social networking giant to find affordable places to receive care, set reminders to schedule tests and mark when tests are completed. The recommendations to the users will be provided on the basis on their age and sex.
- The resources available in the tool are provided by the American Cancer Society, the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association and the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.
Daily GK Updates for SBI PO Online Classes
- Facebook Headquarters: California, US; CEO: Mark Zuckerberg.
17. Nirmal Purja climbs world’s 14 highest peaks in record-breaking 189 days
- The mountaineer from Nepal, Nirmal Purja, created a new speed record by climbing the world’s 14 highest peaks over 8,000 metres (26,250 feet) in just 189 days.
- The 14th peak which he climbed was Shishapangma, located at Nyalam County, China. The other 13 peaks are Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Kanchenjunga, Everest, Lhotse, Makalu, Nanga Parbat, Gasherbrum I, Gasherbrum II, K2, Broad Peak, Cho Oyu and Manaslu.
18. Finance Minister releases Commemorative Coin on Paramahansa Yogananda
- The Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman has released a special commemorative coin on Paramahansa Yogananda. The coin has been released to mark Paramahansa Yogananda’s 125th birth anniversary.
- Paramahansa Yogananda is known as the Father of Yoga in the West. He was the founder of two organisations: Yogoda Satsanga Society of India and Self-Realisation Fellowship, belongs to the line of gurus whose message is universal transcending nations and religions.