Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 13th JANUARY 2020
1. Internet access a fundamental right!
- The Supreme Court has declared access to internet a fundamental right as Internet is the primary source of information to millions of Indian citizen.
- The ruling came on hearing of a plea in connection with Internet blockade in Jammu and Kashmir since August 5 in the view of revoking of Article 370 in the Union Territory.
- The Supreme Court ruling is also in sync with the United Nations recommendation that every country should make access to Internet a fundamental right.
- It makes the constitutional provision keep pace with innovation of technology. A non-citizen can avail the same benefits but cannot claim it as her fundamental right.
- In India, Kerala had become the first state in 2017 to declare access to Internet “a basic human right”.
STATIC GK for IBPS PO 2020:
Articles 12 to 35 contained in Part III of the Constitution lists the following as fundamental rights. All citizens shall have the right:
- To equality.
- To Constitutional Remedies.
- To Freedom, i.e., freedom of speech and expression; to assemble peaceably and without arms; to form associations or unions; to move freely throughout the territory of India; to reside and settle in any part of the territory of India; and to practice any profession, or to carry on any occupation, trade or business.
- To freedom of religion.
- Against exploitation.
- Right to vote.
- Cultural & Educational Rights.
2. National Youth Day
- January 12 marks the birthday of Swami Vivekananda, who was a true luminary, credited with enlightening the western world about Hinduism with his famous speech at the World’s Parliament of Religions held in Chicago in 1893.
- The day was celebrated at Ramakrishna Math marking the 158th birthday of Swami Vivekananda.
- He was an ardent disciple of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa and a major force in the revival of Hinduism in India.
- 23rd National Youth Festival 2020, organized by The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and the State Government of Uttar Pradesh, started with a grand inauguration ceremony in Lucknow which will increase the EK BHARAT SHRESTH BHARAT bonding and it will prove as a learning platform for everyone.
STATIC GK For SSC Online Classes:
One of the greatest spiritual leaders of India, Swami Vivekananda introduced the world to the Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga.
He was the founder of the Ramakrishna Math and the Ramakrishna Mission.
3. State Energy Efficiency Index 2019
- State Energy Efficiency Index 2019 tracks the progress of Energy Efficiency (EE) initiatives in 36 states and union territories based on 97 significant indicators.
- This index, developed by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency in association with the Alliance for an Energy Efficient Economy, categorizes states as ‘Front Runner’, ‘Achiever’, ‘Contender’ and ‘Aspirant’ based on their efforts and achievements towards energy efficiency implementation.
- Top performing states – Haryana, Kerala and Karnataka – are in the ‘Achiever’ category. While there isn’t any ‘front-runner’ state, it can be inferred that a lot more can be done at the state level to realize energy savings from energy efficiency.
- For a rational comparison, the States or Union Territories are grouped into four groups based on the aggregated Total Primary Energy Supply (TPES) required to meet the state’s actual energy demand (electricity, coal, oil, gas, among others) across sectors.
- Karnataka, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Puducherry led their groups while Manipur, Jammu & Kashmir, Jharkhand and Rajasthan performed the worst in each of their groups.
4. India’s first Cyber Crime Prevention Unit Launched
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated various people centric projects of Gujarat Police and Indian Postal Department in Gandhinagar to keep law and order situation in control.
- The projects include Video Integration and StateWide Advance Security- ‘VISWAS’ project, ‘Netrang’ project to establish Command and Control Room in 33 districts, online portal to pay E Challan and Cyber Crime Prevention Unit- ‘AASHVAST’ which will have a dedicated service helpline for victims of cyber crimes.
- He also inaugurated six different postal memory cards depicting various folk dances of Gujarat. The Minister dedicated free Wi Fi system at Gandhinagar Railway Station.
STATIC GK For SBI Clerk online classes :
Gujarat’s Capital: Gandhinagar
Cultural Capital: Vadodara
Governor: Acharya Devvrat
Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
Folk Dance: Garba and Dandiya Raas
5. Haitham Bin Tariq Al becomes new Sultan of Oman
- Haitham bin Tariq al-Saidsworn in as the new Sultan of Oman after the death of long-time ruler Qaboos bin Said Al Said.
- Late Sultan Qaboos bin Saeedhad ruled Oman since 1970 as the 8th Sultan of the House of Al Said. He was the Arab world’s longest-serving ruler who passed away due to prolonged illness at the age of 79 years.
- According to the constitution of Oman, the Sultan should be a member of the royal family. So the new ruler is the cousin of late Sultan Qaboos. he late sultan had himself chosen Haitham Bin Tareq Al Saeed as his successor, as the Sultan had no children.
Visit here For Daily GK Updates:
Currency: Omani rial
6. Amma Vodi Scheme
- Andhra Pradesh govt launched the flagship ‘Amma Vodi’ scheme to support lakhs of below poverty line mothers or guardians to educate their children.
- to the Scheme the state will provide direct financial assistance worth Rs 15000 annually to poor and financially weak mothers or guardians, to support them in educating their children.
- All below poverty line mothers/ guardians in the state with school-going children, studying in class 1-12 in either private, government, aided or unaided schools will be eligible for the financial assistance.
- The Amma Vodi scheme is the first-of-its-kind scheme in the country, which is aimed at bringing significant changes in the education system of Andhra Pradesh.
STATIC GK For RRB Online Classes:
Capitals: Amaravati, Hyderabad
Governor: Biswabhusan Harichandan
Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy