Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 15th JANUARY 2020
Michael Debabrata Patra becomes Deputy Governor of RBI
- The government has appointed Michael Debabrata Patra as the Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI). The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved his name for three-year tenure.
- Michael Debabrata Patra has replaced Viral Acharya who resigned from the post in July 2019.
- Earlier, he has held the post of executive director in the monetary policy department. He is also a member of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).
STATIC GK for IBPS PO 2020:
RBI has 3 deputy governors at present that are – NS Vishwanathan, BP Kanungo and MK Jain.
Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata
Governor: Shaktikanta Das
Jasprit Bumrah receives the Polly Umrigar Award
- Indian Cricketer Jasprit Bumrah received the Polly Umrigar Award for male category for the year 2018-19. He is awarded for being the best international cricketer at the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) Annual Awards held in Mumbai.
- Jasprit Bumrah is currently ranked as the world no.1 One Day International (ODI) bowler.
- Poonam Yadav receives the Polly Umrigar Award for the Female category.
- Shafali Verma was honored with the Outstanding International Debut Award in Women’s Cricket.
- Team India’s former captain Krishnamachari Srikkanth and Anjum Chopra were awarded the Colonel CK Naidu Lifetime Achievement Award.
STATIC GK For SSC Online Classes:
Board of Control for Cricket in India is the national governing body for cricket in India that was formed in December 1928.
Presidents: C.K. Khanna, Sourav Ganguly
Raisina Dialogue begins
- Raisina Dialogue – India’s flagship global conference on geopolitics and geo-economics began with seven former heads of state or government sharing their perspectives on challenges facing the world, including the U US-Iran tensions, Afghan peace initiatives and climate change.
- The fifth edition of the prestigious Raisina Dialogue, jointly organised by the Ministry of External Affairs and the Observer Research Foundation, will bring together 700 international participants from over a 100 countries in one of the largest gatherings of its kind.
- The three-day conference will see participation of 12 foreign ministers, including from Russia, Iran, Australia, Maldives, South Africa, Estonia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Latvia, Uzbekistan and the EU.
Retail inflation jumps 5year high to 7.35 percent in Dec 2019
- Retail inflation rose to about five-and-half year high of 7.35 per cent in December 2019, surpassing the RBI’s comfort level, mainly due to rise in prices of vegetables as onions.
- As per the data released by National Statistical Office (NSO), the spike in inflation in the vegetable segment was 60.5 percent during the month compared to December 2018.
- The overall retail inflation based on Consumer Price Index (CPI) was 2.11 per cent in December 2018 and 5.54 per cent in November 2019.
- As per the data released by the NSO, the overall food inflation rose to 14.12 per cent in December as against (-) 2.65 per cent in the same month of 2018.
- The previous high in retail inflation was witnessed at 7.39 per cent in July 2014, the year Narendra Modi-led Government assumed office for the first term.
- The inflation in ‘pulses and products’ was recorded at 15.44 per cent, while in case of meat and fish it was nearly 10 per cent.
Register all drones by January 31 or face action: Civil Aviation Ministry
- Government has announced a scheme for voluntary registration of all their unmanned aerial vehicles.
- The registration can be done by the 31st of this month after which it will have to face penal action.
- A Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) Co-Chair Committee on Drones last year had estimated that the number of illegal drones in India is likely to be between fifty to sixty t the government is also working on the second set of regulations that would allow operations of drones beyond the line of sight.
- On successful completion of voluntary disclosure of possessing drone, a Drone Acknowledgement Number (DAN) and an Ownership Acknowledgement Number (OAN) will be issued online which will help in validation of operations of drones in India.
- The government is also working on the second set of regulations that would allow operations of drones beyond the line of sight.
STATIC GK For SBI Clerk online classes :
Airspace has been partitioned into Red Zone (flying not permitted), Yellow Zone (controlled airspace) and Green Zone (automatic permission).
The red zone areas are closer to airports, military areas and international borders.
Robert Abela sworn in as Malta’s new prime minister
- Lawyer Robert Abela, 42, sworn in as Malta’s 14th Prime Minister, succeeding Joseph Muscat who resigned over his handling of investigations into the murder of anti-corruption journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia.
- Abela is the son of former President of Malta George Abela.
- Abela has vowed to put more focus on social issues, particularly living standards and pensions, and has proposed offering free medicine for pensioners. He has also promised to strengthen the rule of law and boost good governance — issues for which Muscat was repeatedly criticised.
Visit here For Daily GK Updates:
Google celebrated birth anniversary of Kaifi Azmi
- Google celebrated 101st birth anniversary of India’s famous poet, lyricist, and activist Kaifi Azmi on January 14, 2020.
- Kaifi Azmi was one of the most famous poets of the 20th century. He wrote his first poem at the age of 11 years only.
- He won three Filmfare Awards, the prestigious Padma Shri Award for Literature and Education and India’s highest literary honor the Sahitya Academy Fellowship.
- Kaifi Azmi’s Google Doodle says that he was one of the most renowned poets of 20th century India.
STATIC GK For RRB Online Classes:
GOOGLE – Founded: 4 September 1998, California, United States.
CEO: Sundar Pichai
Parent organization: Alphabet Inc.
Headquarters: Mountain View, California, United States.