Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 18 July 2020 : Today Gk Updates
1. PM Narendra Modi addresses UN ECOSOC, assures India’s support to UN’s development agenda
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave a virtual keynote address at the high-level segment of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (UN ECOSOC) on July 17.
- The theme of the High-Level Segment which is held annually by ECOSOC is “Multilateralism after COVID 19: What kind of UN do we need at the 75th anniversary”.
- The address was PM Modi’s first speech at the UN after India’s elections to the Security Council. He was joined by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and Norway PM Erna Solberg.
- PM Modi in his virtual address lauded India’s Health care system and he also added the motto ‘Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikaas, Sabka Vishwas’, which defines India’s principle of leaving no one behind.
Static GK FOR IBPS RRB Online Classes:
The session was held on the 75th anniversary of the United Nations. PM Modi had earlier delivered his address at the 70th anniversary of ECOSOC on January 22, 2016.
2. CBDT refunds Rs. 71,229 crore to help the taxpayers during COVID-19 pandemic
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) announced that it has issued the refunds of worth Rs. 71,229 crores in more than 21.24 lakh cases till a week ago.
- The refund has been made to help the taxpayers with liquidity amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Income tax refunds that are amounting to Rs. 24,603 crores were issued in 19.79 lakh cases to the taxpayers and the corporate tax refunds that are totalling to Rs. 46,626 crores have been issued in 1.45 lakh cases.
Static GK For IBPS RRB 2020:
The government had earlier decided on April 8, 2020, to issue the pending tax refunds at the earliest.
3. High-level central team to visit Bihar tomorrow to review Covid-19 situation
- A three-member high-level central team led by Joint Secretary of Health Department Lav Agrawal is going to Bihar tomorrow to review Covid-19 situation in the state.
- The team comprises National Centre for Disease Control Director Dr S K Singh and AIIMS New Delhi medicine department associate professor Niraj Nischal.
- Union Minister of State for health and family welfare, Ashwani Kumar Choubey said that the centre is keeping an eye on the situation in Bihar and both governments have together initiated all possible steps to contain the Corona pandemic in Bihar.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Online Exams
Bihar Governor: Phagu Chauhan; Chief Minister: Nitish Kumar
4. India among top ten nations in intellectual property filings
- As per World Intellectual Property Indicators-2019 Report, India has emerged as the top tenth nation in the ranking of the total (resident and abroad) Intellectual Property (IP) filing activity.
- With government push to schemes like ‘Make in India’, ‘Skill India’ and now ‘Atma-Nirbhar Bharat’, IP Filing and grant activity is likely to increase.
- IP-intensive industries have been identified as an important and integral part of a country’s economy and account for more jobs and a larger share of its GDP.
- The National IPR Policy, launched in May 2016, to promote strong IP regime in the country encourages innovation to achieve Country’s industrial and economic development goals. This will provide an efficient IP ecosystem and build up pace of industrial growth in the country.
Browse the video Weekly Current Affairs Quiz 13th July to 18th July 2020
Today Gk Updates:
Industry 4.0 is witnessing new inventions and breakthroughs as it faces challenges in providing the right environment to stimulate innovation, especially in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
5. World Day of International Justice: 17 July
- World Day of International Justice widely known as International Justice Day is observed on July 17 every year.
- The day aims to promote international criminal justice and as a way of supporting the work of the International Criminal Court (ICC).
- The day recognizes the developing and strengthening system of international justice that has emerged since the Nuremberg trials and Tokyo Trials after World War II.
The first World Day for International Justice was celebrated on 17 July 1998, on the day the Statute of Rome was signed, which marks the creation of the International Criminal Court (ICC).
6. India and Israel inks agreement to collaborate in dealing with cyber threats
- India and Israel have signed an agreement to further expand collaboration in dealing with cyber threats amid rapid digitisation due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- The agreement also involved the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) that operates under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and INCD.
- The agreement will expand the scope of exchange of information between the countries on cyber threats.
Today Gk Updates
India ranks 11th in the worldwide cyber-attacks. In Q4 alone, the number of local cyber threats detected in India account to 40 lakhs.
Click and watch Current Affairs 17 July 2020 video