Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 1st June 2020 : GK UPDATES
1. First phase of nationwide unlock begins today
– The first phase of nationwide unlock starts today.
– Unlock 1 will allow a phased reopening of most activities across India. Centre on Saturday Unlock 1 guidelines limiting the lockdown only to the containment zones.
– Government also allowed unfettered movement of goods and persons between states and within states. Several states have also released guidelines for the fifth phase of lockdown or Unlock 1.
2. US terminates relationship with World Health Organisation
– The United States has officially terminated its relationship with the World Health Organisation. This was announced by US President Donald Trump stating that the US will be terminating its relationship with the World Health Organisation because they have failed to act on the requested and greatly needed reforms.
– He also accused China of having total control over WHO despite paying only USD 40 million a year compared to what the US has been paying, which is approximately USD 450 million a year.
– The US President further said that the US will be redirecting the funds intended for WHO to other worldwide and deserving, urgent global public health needs.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Exams
The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health.
Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
3. Google launches app ‘Sodar’ to help people maintain social distancing
Google has launched ‘Sodar’ app that will help people maintain distance in real life using augmented reality.
The app has been developed under Experiments with Google and is not available on the Google Play Store but can be side-loaded separately.
The app called ‘Sodar’ will create a visual boundary of two meter radius ring around you using the user’s smartphone camera and constantly show who’s breaching that distance.
The company claims Sodar uses “WebXR to help visualise social distancing guidelines in your environment. Once another person breaches the circle, the screen will visually alert the user.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL Exams
Google CEO: Sundar Pichai
4. Uttarakhand govt starts “Mukhyamantri Swarozgar Yojana” for returnee migrants
– To retain the migrants who have returned to the state during the lockdown, Uttarakhand chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated the Mukhyamantri Swarozgar Yojana.
– It is self-employment opportunities to youth and a boost to reverse migration, especially entrepreneurs returning to Uttarakhand and encouraging skilled and unskilled artisans, handicrafts and unemployed youths to start their own business.
– The migrants who apply under this programme will get quick approval from the authorities concerned and their applications will be forwarded to banks with immediate subsidy which will be 25% in the hill districts and 15% in the plain districts
5. Rohit Sharma nominated for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2020
– Rohit Sharma has been nominated by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for the prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2020.
– The Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports had sought invitations for the awards from the board. The period of consideration for the nominations is from January 1, 2016- December 31, 2019.
– Rohit Sharma is India’s vice-captain in the limited-over’s format. He was named ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year 2019.
Among other nominations, the BCCI nominated Shikhar Dhawan, Deepti Sharma and Ishant Sharma for Arjuna Awards.
6. World No Tobacco Day: May 31
– World No Tobacco Day is observed around the world every year on 31 May.
– The day spreads awareness about the harmful effects of tobacco and to discourage people from using tobacco products.
– Tobacco use is considered to be one of the leading preventable causes of mortality in the world.
STATIC GK For SBI Clerk 2020 :
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), nearly eight million people in the world die each year of tobacco use.