Get Updated Test Series on Takshila Learning
1. India constructs Girls’ Hostel for Nepal Armed Police Force
- The Govt. of India has constructed Girls’ Hostel for Nepal Armed Police Force School, Kirtipur, Nepal.
- Deputy Chief of Mission, Embassy of India, Dr Ajay Kumar inaugurated hostel building.
- Nepal Armed Police Force (APF) School is an academic institution created under the APF Welfare Service Centre of Nepal Armed Police Force.
- The school was established in 2005 and it has over 21 per cent of girls students.
- The new infrastructure constructed with the Government of India’s grant assistance of 40.42 million Nepali Rupees is a two-storied girls’ hostel.
- It comprises 32 rooms including a dormitory, warden room, bathroom, sanitation facilities for girls on each floor and furniture.
Important Daily GK Update For SBI PO Exam
- Nepal Prime Minister: K P Sharma Oli; Capital: Kathmandu.
- President of Nepal: Bidhya Devi Bhandari; Currency of Nepal: Nepalese rupee.
2. Emergency protocols activated in the Galapagos Islands after fuel spill
- Ecuador has activated the emergency protocols in the Galapagos Islands.
- The emergency protocol was activated to contain the environmental impact of a fuel spill in the Galapagos Islands.
- The step was taken after a barge carrying 600 gallons of diesel fuel sank.
- The accident occurred in a port on San Cristobal Island when a crane collapsed while loading a container onto the barge.
- The falling container destabilized the ship, causing it to sink.
- The Galapagos archipelago is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and home to one of the most fragile ecosystems on the planet.
3. Eight West African nations rename common currency to Eco
- Eight West African countries have agreed to change the name of their common currency to Eco and severed their earlier currency CFA Franc’s links to former colonial ruler France.
- Benin, Burkina Faso, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo currently use the currency.
- All the countries are former French colonies with the exception of Guinea-Bissau.
- The CFA franc, created in 1945, was seen by many as a sign of French interference in its former African colonies even after the countries became independent.
4. Sikkim CM laid the foundation stone two IPUs of Sikkim IFFCO
- Chief Minister, Sikkim laid the foundation stone of two Integrated Organic Food Processing units of Sikkim IFFCO Organics Ltd. in Rangpo, East Sikkim.
- Sikkim IFFCO Organics Limited is a joint venture between the world’s biggest fertilizer Cooperative, IFFCO and Government of Sikkim.
- Its aim is to promote and market the organic produce of the country and especially from Sikkim and other north-eastern states of India.
- The major commercial crops in which Sikkim IFFCO will operate are ginger, turmeric, large cardamom and buckwheat.
Important Daily GK Update For IBPS CLERK
- Chief Minister of Sikkim: Prem Singh Tamang; Governor of Sikkim: Ganga Prasad.
5. Cuba names Manuel Marrero Cruz to be first PM since 1976
- In Cuba, President has appointed Manuel Marrero Cruz as the country’s first prime minister in more than 40 years.
- Marrero, who has served as tourism minister for 16 years and is an architect by trade, helped boost Cuba’s economy by making tourism one of the engines of growth.
- The post of prime minister was scrapped in 1976 by the then-revolutionary leader Fidel Castro.
Important Daily GK Update For SBI PO Exam
- President of Cuba: Miguel Díaz-Canel; Capital of Cuba: Havana.
- Currency of Cuba: Cuban peso.
6. Monisha Ghosh named 1st woman CTO at FCC in US
- Indian-American Dr Monisha Ghosh has been appointed as the first woman Chief Technology Officer at the US government’s powerful Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- She will advise Indian-American Chairman of the FCC Ajit Pai and the agency on technology and engineering issues, and work closely with the Office of Engineering and Technology.
- Dr Ghosh will take charge on January 13. She replaces Dr Eric Burger.
7. Wipro partners Nasscom to train 10,000 students on emerging technologies
- Wipro has partnered with Nasscom to train students on emerging technologies.
- The programme will train on technologies such as artificial intelligence, data science, internet of things, cybersecurity.
- Wipro will train 10,000 students from engineering colleges in India as a part of Wipro’s corporate social responsibility programme “TalentNext“.
- TalentNext aims to improve the quality of engineering education by preparing faculty and academic leaders to train students.
- The programme will now be extended to students directly through Future Skills, a Nasscom platform.
- “Future Skills” bridges the industry-academia skill gap and help students learn new-age technologies.
8. Nadal and Barty named 2019 ITF World Champions
- Ashleigh Barty and Rafael Nadal were named International Tennis Federation’s (ITF) World Champions in singles for 2019.
- This awards will be given at the 2020 ITF world champions 2nd June, in Paris.
|Men Singles||Rafael Nadal (Spain)|
|Women Singles||Ashleigh Barty (Australia)|
|Women Doubles||Timea Babos (Hungary) and Kristina Mladenovic (France)|
|Men Doubles||Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah (Colombia)|
|Men’s Wheelchair||Gustavo Fernandez (Argentina)|
|Women’s Wheelchair||Diede de Groot (Netherland)|
|Quad||Dylan Alcott (Australia)|
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Headquarters of ITF: London, United Kingdom.
- President of ITF: David Haggerty.
9. Malayali boy Aditya bags top bravery award
- Aditya K. of Kozhikode, Kerala has become the first child from the State to bag the Bharat Award for bravery.
- The most prestigious of the National Bravery Awards, given away by the Indian Council for Child Welfare.
- The Bharat Award has gone to Aditya for rescued 20 people from a bus carrying members of the Calicut University Pensioners’ Forum and their families when it caught fire coming down a steep mountain road.
- Two more children from the State are also recipients of the awards. Muhammed Mohsin has been given the award posthumously for saving the lives of three children.
- Fatah gets the award for rescuing a woman and a girl from an approaching train. Both belong to Kozhikode.
Important Daily GK Update For Online SSC Classes
- Chief Minister of Kerala: Pinarayi Vijayan.
- Governor of Kerala: Arif Mohammad Khan.
- Capital of Kerala: Thiruvananthapuram.
10. Indian Archaeologist honoured in Bangladesh
- Noted archaeologist R. Nagaswamy was honoured at the Silver Jubilee International Conference of Art in Dhaka by Bangladesh.
- He is an Indian historian, archaeologist and epigraphist.
- He served as the founder-director of Tamilnadu Archaeology Department.
- In 2018 he was awarded India’s third highest civilian award Padma Bhushan.
11. India-Iran 19th Joint Commission meeting held in Iran
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar co-chaired the 19th Joint Commission meeting with Foreign Minister of Iran. The Joint Commission meeting was held in Tehran, Iran.
- The meeting reviewed the entire gamut of the cooperation and agreed to accelerate work on the strategic Chabahar project.
- The Chabahar port is jointly being developed by India, Iran and Afghanistan.
- It is located on the Indian Ocean in the Sistan and Baluchestan province of Iran.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Iran Capital: Tehran; Currency: Rial; President: Hassan Rouhani.
12. Vice Prez released book ‘Turbulence and Triumph: The Modi Years’
- The Vice President of India Venkaiah Naidu released a book titled ‘Turbulence and Triumph: The Modi Years’ in New Delhi.
- The book is jointly authored by Rahul Agarwal and Bharathi S Pradhan and is published by Om Books International.
- The book is about the life journey of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi from his days as a young boy rin Gujarat till becoming the Prime Minister of India.
13. Meiraba Luwang wins Bangladesh Junior Int’l Badminton Series
- India’s shuttler Maisnam Meiraba Luwang has won the Men’s singles Bangladesh Junior International Badminton Series 2019 in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Top-seeded Meiraba, who hails from Manipur, beat Ken Yong Ong 21, 14, 21-18 in the final.
14. National Mathematics Day: 22 December
- National Mathematics Day is celebrated on 22nd December every year to mark the birth anniversary of legendary mathematician, Srinivasa Ramanujan and his contributions in the development of modern mathematics.
- This year nation celebrates his 132nd Birth Anniversary.
- Ramanujan had a wealth of ideas that have transformed and reshaped 20th-century mathematics.
- These ideas continue to shape mathematics of the 21st century.
- The main objective behind the celebration of National Mathematics Day is to make people aware of the development of mathematics and its importance in the growth of humanity.
15. EChO Network was launched in New Delhi
- Prof. Krishnasamy VijayRaghavan, Principal Scientific Adviser to the Govt of India launched a national program called “EChO Network” in New Delhi.
- The EChO network provides a template for cross-disciplinary leadership in India.
- The purpose of this programme is to bring citizens, govt etc to solve problems in the areas of research knowledge, and awareness of Indian ecology and the environment.
16. Integral Coach Factory produces 3000 Coaches in record 215 days
- Integral Coach Factory (ICF) of Indian Railways has produced its 3000 Coaches in record 215 days.
- The 64-year-old production unit beat its own record by reducing the number of working days to achieve the target of making 3,000 coaches in 289 days in 2018-19 to 215 days this year and retained its position as the largest coach- maker in the world.
Important Daily GK Update For Online Coaching For SSC
- Headquarters of Integral Coach Factory: Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Established: 2nd October 1955.