Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 24 July 2020 : Today Gk Updates
1. Govt sanctions permanent commission to women officers in Indian Army
The Central government has given the formal sanction letter for the grant of permanent commission to the women officers in the Indian Army. The step has paved the way for empowering them to carry larger roles in the organization.
The order specifies grant of permanent commission to Short Service Commissioned (SSC) women officers in all the ten streams of the Indian army.
Earlier on July 7, 2020, the Supreme Court had given the central government one month’s time to follow the court’s orders on granting the permanent commission to all the serving SSC women officers in the Indian army.
2. PM Modi lays foundation stone for Manipur Water Supply Project
– PM Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the Rs 3,050-crore Manipur Water Supply Project through video conferencing.
– The video conference event was held at the City Convention, Imphal, attended by Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh, Manipur Governor Najama Heptulla, MLAs and ministers.
– The Government provided funds under Jal Jeevan Mission to Manipur for FHTCs to cover 1,185 habitations with over 1 lakh 42 thousand households.
– The Centre initiated the Jal Jeevan Mission to provide safe and adequate quantity drinking water to every rural household of the country by 2024 with the motto “Har Ghar Jal”.
Static GK FOR IBPS RRB Online Classes:
There are about 19 crore households in India and only 24 percent have Freshwater Household Tap Connections.
3. NPCI launches UPI AutoPay feature to enable Auto-Debit of recurring payments
– National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) launched UPI AutoPay feature to enable Auto-Debit for recurring payments.
– With this new facility, customers can enable e-mandate using any UPI application for recurring payments such as mobile bills, electricity bills, EMI payments, entertainment and OTT subscriptions, insurance, mutual funds and loan payments, among others of up to Rs2000. If the amount exceeds Rs2000, customers have to execute every mandate with UPI PIN.
– The mandates can be set for one-time, daily, weekly, fortnightly, monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, half yearly and yearly. The customers have to authenticate their account through UPI PIN.
Static GK For IBPS RRB 2020:
The National Payments Corporation of India is an umbrella organisation for operating retail payments and settlement systems in India.
Headquarters location: Mumbai
4. SBI General Insurance appoints PC Kandpal as MD, CEO
– Prakash Chandra Kandpal has been appointed as the managing director and chief executive officer of the SBI General Insurance.
– He has been serving as the deputy CEO of SBI General Insurance since June 2019. He will replace Pushan Mahapatra who has been appointed as director (strategic investments & digital initiatives).
– Prakash Chandra Kandpal has more than 33 years of banking experience with State Bank of India (SBI) in various aspects such as retail and international banking, human resource, technology, and learning and development.
– He has also served as the chief operating officer of the SBI Mutual Fund.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Online Exams
SBI Chairperson: Rajnish Kumar; Headquarters: Mumbai
Founded: 1st July, 1955
5. US orders closure of Chinese Consulate in Houston
– The United States has ordered the closure of the Chinese Consulate in Houston.
– In a statement, US State Department Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus said the closure was due to unfair trade practices, theft of American jobs, and other egregious behaviour and to protect American’s intellectual property and private information.
– The move comes after the claims by the US Justice Department that China-aided hackers stole intellectual property rights worth millions of dollars from COVID-19 vaccine. It has also been alleged that they stole trade secrets from companies across the world.
6. Turkmenistan gets observer status in World Trade Organization
– Turkmenistan has been granted Observer status by the World Trade Organization (WTO) General Council.
– Turkmenistan has become the last former Soviet republic to establish formal ties with the trade body.
– The World Trade Organization is an intergovernmental organization that is concerned with the regulation of international trade between nations.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL Online Exams
Neighbouring Central Asian countries- Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan and Afghanistan – have acceded to the WTO, while Uzbekistan has been in on-and-off negotiations on WTO accession since 1994.