Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 5th June 2020 : GK UPDATES
1. India, Australia ink landmark Defence Pact after online summit
– India and Australia inked a landmark agreement on June 4, 2020, that will allow the reciprocal access to military bases for the logistics support.
– The agreement was made after Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Australian counterpart Scott Morrison held an online summit on June 4. The agreement between the two countries will allow them to use each other military bases for repair and replenishment of supplies.
– The other six pacts will provide for bilateral cooperation in areas of mining and mineral, cyber technology, vocational education, military technology, and water resources management.
Australia Capital: Canberra; Currency: Australian dollar
2. WHO restarts HCQ trial to find COVID-19 treatment
– The World Health Organization (WHO) has decided to restart Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) part of its Solidarity Trial. This trial by WHO is a global effort to find the treatment for COVID-19.
– WHO had earlier suspended the HCQ segment of its trial based on the study published by The Lancet that questioned the effectiveness of HCQ on COVID-19 patients. The study had mentioned that it had failed to find any benefit of HCQ or CQ in the treatment.
– WHO’s Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced that on the basis of the available mortality data, the members of the committee have recommended that there are no definite reasons to modify the trial protocol.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL Exams
The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health.
Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
3. World Economic Forum to host ‘twin summit’ in January 2021
– The World Economic Forum will be hosting a unique “Twin Summit” in January 2021. The announcement comes at a time when most major summits and conferences have been cancelled in the wake of the global coronavirus outbreak.
– The unique ‘twin summit’ will be held in Davos, Switzerland with the theme “The Great Reset”.
– The 51st WEF summit is expected to see wider participation with virtual link-ups in 400 cities across the world during the main event.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Exams
The World Economic Forum is an independent international organization committed to improving the state of the world by engaging business, political, academic, and other leaders of society to shape global, regional, and industry agendas.
4. Union Cabinet approves re-establishment of Pharmacopoeia Commission
– The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved re-establishment of the Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine & Homoeopathy. The commission will be set up as a subordinate officer under the AYUSH Ministry.
– The Pharmacopoeia Commission will pave way for focused and cohesive development of standards of AYUSH drugs and publication of pharmacopoeias and formularies.
– The Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine & Homoeopathy is presently an autonomous body under the aegis of Ministry of AYUSH, which was established in 2010.
5. International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression: 4th June
– International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression is observed globally on 4th June every year.
– This day affirms the UN’s commitment to guard the rights of children.
– This day is to acknowledge the pain suffered by children throughout the planet who are the victims of physical, mental and emotional abuse.
– The main aim of celebrating today is to spread the notice about the pain and sufferings faced by the victims as children.
6. Sushil Singhal appointed India’s next High Commissioner to Papua New Guinea
– Sushil Kumar Singhal has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Independent State of Papua New Guinea.
– He is presently serving as the Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs.
– Sushil Kumar Singhal will replace Vijay Kumar as the next High Commissioner of India to the Independent State of Papua New Guinea.