Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS & GK UPDATES – 19th JANUARY 2020
Ahmedabad-Mumbai Tejas Express, IRCTC’s 2nd train, flagged off
- The Ahmedabad-Mumbai Tejas Express, the 2nd train to be run by railway subsidiary IRCTC, has been flagged off by Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani from Ahmedabad. The first such train, the Lucknow-Delhi Tejas Express, has been running since last year.
- The Ahmedabad-Mumbai Tejas Express will ply 6 days a week with Thursday as an off-day for maintenance activities.
- The ticket booking for IRCTC Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Ahmedabad Tejas Express can be done on the IRCTC website, irctc.co.in and the Rail Connect app or on IRCTC’s online travel portal partners like Paytm, Ixigo, PhonePe, Make My Trip, Google, Ibibo, Railyatri and others.
- There will be no tatkal quota or premium tatkal quota in the train. There will be only General Quota and Foreign Tourist Quota.
- All passengers travelling on IRCTC train will be provided with Rail Travel Insurance of up to Rs 25 lakhs, free of cost by IRCTC.
- IRCTC will also pay a compensation of Rs 100 in case the train during its run is delayed by more than one hour and Rs 250 in case of delay of more than two hours to every passenger.
STATIC GK For SSC Online Classes:
IRCTC – Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation – is a subsidiary of the Indian Railways that handles the catering, tourism and online ticketing operations of the latter.
Indian Railways – Founded: 16 April 1853, Union Minister of Railways: Piyush Goyal.
Delhi Police Commissioner Gets Detention Power under National Security Act
- Delhi’s Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal granted Delhi Police Commissioner the power to detain under the National Security Act, 1980 for next three months, i.e., from January 19, 2020 till April 18, 2020.
- The NSA allows preventive detention of an individual if the authorities feel that the individual is a threat to the national security, and law and order.
- It comes at a time when the national capital has been witnessing a number of protests against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) and the National Register of Citizens (NRC).
- Under the NSA, a person can be detained for up to 12 months without a charge. And the detained individual can file an appeal before the High Court Advisory Board; however, he or she cannot hire a lawyer during the trials.
Visit here For Daily GK Updates:
Delhi Police – Founded: 1861, New Delhi
Commissioner of Police: Amulya Patnaik (IPS)
India, World Bank sign agreement for Assam Inland Water Transport Project
- The central government and Assam state government signed a USD 88 million loan agreement with the World Bank to implement the Assam Inland Water Transport Project.
- The aim of the project is to modernize the infrastructure and services of Assam’s passenger ferry sector, which operates on its rivers including the Brahmaputra.
- The project will pave the way for technically better-designed terminals and energy-efficient vessels. It will make the ferry services more environmentally sustainable.
- The inland water transport is the most sustainable mode of transport in Assam, as it is affordable. In total, there are around 15 waterways in Assam on rivers including Tiwang, Barak, Kopili, Puthimari, Doyang and Lohit.
STATIC GK For RRB Online Classes:
Assam is known as the land of Red River and Blue hills and largest producer of tea in India.
Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
Chief Minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
IIM- Indore to give management lessons with Tik Tok
- Indian Institute of Management- Indore on Thursday joined hands with video-sharing application Tiktok to produce short video modules on management courses for students and trained professionals.
- The institute has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Tiktok to prepare short video modules on communication, strategy, negotiation, marketing among others things.
- It will help in skill development for youngsters and in turn boost the country’s economy in the future.
The establishment of IIMs was initiated by Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India, based on the recommendation of the Planning Commission. The Institute at Calcutta was established first, on 13 November 1961, and was named Indian Institute of Management Calcutta or IIM Calcutta. Then in the following month Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad was established.
Tiktok – Launched: 2017 and it is available in 40 languages. In 2019, TikTok was announced to be the 7th most downloaded mobile app of the decade, from 2010 to 2019.
50th World Economic Forum Meet
- Union Minister for Commerce and Industry, Piyush Goyal will be leading the Indian delegation at the 50th World Economic Forum (WEF) at Davos, Switzerland.
- The theme of World Economic Forum (WEF) 2020 is ‘Stakeholders for a Cohesive and Sustainable World’.
- The four day WEF meet will begin on January 21, 2020 and will see participation of over 50 heads of State from 117 participating countries.
- Prince Charles will be addressing concerns pertaining to climate change at the Forum while speaking on ‘saving the planet’ which will focus on establishing stakeholder capitalism as a way of addressing the world’s greatest challenges, from societal divisions created by income inequality and political polarization to the climate crisis we face today
- Deepika Padukone will be bestowed with the WEF Crystal Award for spreading awareness on mental health.
- William Adams, the US rapper, will also address the Forum and would talk about ending gun violence.
STATIC GK For SBI Clerk online classes :
Founded: January 1971, for public-private cooperation.
Founder: Klaus Schwab
Headquarters: Cologny, Switzerland
Seismic Hazard Microzonation project
- The Ministry of Earth Science has launched Seismic Hazard Microzonation project in major cities of India saying that the impact of high-intensity earthquakes can be greatly reduced to a great deal through this.
- Earthquake-vulnerable areas falling in seismic zones IV and V include the entire North-Eastern states, Delhi, Kutch areas in Gujarat, and Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Seismic Hazard Microzonation is the process of dividing earth quake prone areas based on certain factors. The factors include geological and geophysical characteristics of sites. Based on the division, mitigation measures are prepared. Hence, it is a preventive method to minimize the losses.
- The technique gives better mitigatory measures as it helps to understand the impact of seismic activities precisely.
- So far, micro-seismic mapping of Sikkim and eight cities, viz. Bengaluru, Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati, Jabalpur, Ahmedabad, Dehra Dun and Gandhidham has been completed.
- Japan is a leading example of how effective and well-implemented mitigation measures could make its citizens live in peace despite Japan falling in the high seismic zone and vulnerable to frequent earthquakes.