Get Updated Test Series on Takshila Learning
Current Affairs 31 Oct 2019 & Daily GK Update In English
1.India now has 28 states and 9 UTs
- According to the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019, the appointed day for the two Union Territories J&K and Ladakh was October 31.
- This is for the first time that a state is converted into two Union Territories. The total number of states in the country will now be 28 while the total Union Territories will go up to nine.
2. TN becomes first State to enact law on contract farming
- President of India Ram Nath Kovind has approved the Tamil Nadu Agricultural Produce and Livestock Contract Farming and Services (Promotion and Facilitation) Act, 2019.
- Now Tamil Nadu has become the first state in the country to enact a law on contract farming.
- The aims of this Act is to set a policy framework and institutional mechanism on agricultural produce and livestock contract farming.
Daily GK Updates for IBPS PO Online Classes:
- Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu: Edappadi K. Palaniswami; Governor: Banwarilal Purohit.
- Capital of Tamil Nadu: Chennai.
3. Sheikh Sultan inaugurates Sharjah International Book Fair 2019
- The 38th edition of the Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF) 2019 was inaugurated by Sheikh Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah, UAE.
- Nearly 1800 exhibitors from 77 countries are participating in the Fair.
- The fair will showcase 987 activities presenting scientific, knowledge and literary themes.
- The Republic of Mexico has been declared as the Guest of Honour at the 38th edition of SIBF.
- The theme of the Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF) 2019 is ‘Open Books Open Minds’, to promote books and reading across age groups and communities.
Daily GK Updates for IBPS CLERK Online Classes:
- Capital of the UAE: Abu Dhabi; Currency of the UAE: Dirham.
4. Saad Hariri resigns as Prime Minister of Lebanon
- Prime Minister of Lebanon, Saad Hariri has resigned from the portfolio amid anti-government protests.
- He resigned bowing to one of the central demands of anti-government demonstrators shortly after baton-wielding Hezbollah supporters rampaged through the main protest camp in Beirut.
- The protests has paralyzed the country for nearly two weeks. Lebanon is facing a deep-running fiscal crisis as it staggers under one of the highest debt ratios in the world $86 billion, or more than 150% of the country’s gross domestic product.
5. Rafael Grossi elected as the new IAEA head
- Rafael Mariano Grossi of Argentina has been elected as the new Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- He succeeds Yukiya Amano of Japan, who passed away in July. He will be the 6th head of IAEA since it was founded more than six decades ago in 1957.
Daily GK Updates for IBPS Clerk Online Classes
- Headquarters IAEA: Vienna, Austria; Membership: 171 Member States.
6. Former Mumbai Police Commissioner Datta Padsalgikar appointed as Deputy NSA
- Former Mumbai Police Commissioner and Maharashtra DGP Datta Padsalgikar have been appointed as Deputy National Security Advisor (NSA).
- The 1982-batch IPS officer had earlier served in the Intelligence Bureau (IB).
- He had also served as DCP (Detection) in crime branch, and in EOW (Economic Offences Wing). He retired as the Director-General of Police (DGP) in 2018.
Daily GK Updates for SBI Clerk Online Classes
- Present National Security Advisor (NSA): Ajit Doval.
7. Shiva Thapa, Pooja Rani clinch gold in Olympic Test event for Boxing
- Indian boxer Shiva Thapa and Pooja Rani clinched gold medals in Olympic Test Event for Boxing in Tokyo, Japan.
- While Ashish settled for a silver, ending India’s brilliant campaign at the Olympic Test Event.
- Four-time Asian medallist Thapa outpunched Kazakhstan’s national champion and Asian bronze-winner Sanatali Toltayev 5-0 to claim the top honours in the 63-kilogram category.
- Former Asian Games bronze-medallist Pooja Rani edged past Australia’s Caitlin Parker in 75-kilogram category to ensure that the Indian women’s contingent also had gold in its kitty.
- In 69 kilogram category, Ashish, however, lost to Japan’s Sewon Okazawa to sign off with a silver medal.
8. Indo-French joint exercise ‘Shakti-2019’
- The bilateral ‘Exercise SHAKTI’ between the armies of India and France will be conducted from 31st October to 13th November 2019 at Foreign Training Node in Mahajan Field Firing Ranges, Rajasthan.
- The joint exercise will focus on counter-terrorism operations in semi-desert terrain.
- The exercise aims at enhancing understanding, cooperation and interoperability between the two armies.
- While a contingent of the Sikh Regiment of Sapta Shakti Command will represent Indian Army in this exercise, the French Army delegation will be represented by troops of 21st Marine Infantry Regiment of 6th Armoured Brigade.
Daily GK Updates for SBI PO Online Classes
- Chief of the Army Staff: General Bipin Rawat.
9. First female UN refugee chief Sadako Ogata passes away
- First female UN refugee chief Sadako Ogata passed away. She served as the Chief of the UN refugees from 1991-2000.
- She had also served as the head of the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) from 2003- 2012 and also as the chairman of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) from 1978-1979.
10. Former Karnataka Lokayukta N. Venkatachala passes away
- N. Venkatachala, former judge of the Supreme Court and former Lokayukta of Karnataka passed away.
- Venkatachala was known for bringing to light the existence of Karnataka’s autonomous anti-corruption wing as the Lokayukta by conducting raids on public servants and disclosing their names and particulars of seized assets.
- He also functioned as the head of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967, during 1990. He was Lokayukta from July 3, 2001, to July 2, 2006.
11. Actor and comedian John Witherspoon passes away
- Actor and comedian John Witherspoon passed away recently. He was best known best known for the hit Friday franchise and The Wayan Brothers.
- He made his feature debut in the film The Jazz Singer (1980) and entered showbiz through stand-up comedy and started acting in the late 1970s with guest-starring TV roles.
12. India celebrates “National Unity Day” on 31st October
- India is celebrating the 144th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel as National Unity Day.
- The birth anniversary of Sardar Patel i.e. 31st October is observed as the National Unity Day every year.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid tribute to Sardar Patel at the ‘Statue of Unity’ in Kevadiya, Gujarat and also witnessed the ‘Rashtriya Ekta Diwas Parade‘ by personnel of Gujarat Police and central armed forces.
- Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel is also known as the Iron Man of India. At the time of independence, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel played an instrumental role in India’s struggle for independence, and later during the integration of the country by convincing several princely states to align with the Indian Union.
13. World Cities Day: 31 October
- The United Nations General Assembly has designated the 31st October as World Cities Day.
- The Day is expected to greatly promote the international community’s interest in global urbanization, push forward cooperation among countries in meeting opportunities and addressing challenges of urbanization, and contributing to sustainable urban development around the world.
- This year, the United Nations has selected the theme “Changing the world: innovations and better life for future generations” to discuss how urbanization can be used to achieve sustainable development.
14. IIIT Hyderabad create first ever Indian Brain Atlas
- Researchers from the Indian Institute of Information Technology Hyderabad (IIIT-H), Telangana have created the first-ever ‘Indian brain atlas’(IBA).
- The Indian brain atlas was constructed in collaboration with the Department of Imaging Sciences and Interventional Radiology, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- The study has revealed that the Indian brain, on an average, is smaller in height, width and volume when compared to Western and other Eastern populations.
- This will help in early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s and other brain-related ailments.
15. Pak releases coin to commemorate 550th birth anniversary of Baba Guru Nanak
- The government of Pakistan released a new coin to commemorate the 550th anniversary of Baba Guru Nanak.
- The coin worth Pakistan Rupees 50 will be available at the Kartarpur Sahib along with a postal stamp worth Pakistan Rupees 8 to the travelling pilgrims.
Daily GK Updates for SBI PO Online Classes
- Prime Minister of Pakistan: Imran Khan; President: Arif Alvi.
- Currency: Pakistani rupee; Capital: Islamabad.