Get Updated Test Series on Takshila Learning
Daily Current Affairs 8th November 2019 – Daily GK Update
General awareness section is the most important part of every competitive exam, it can help you score well in the exam if you are updated with all the current news. Banking Awareness, Static GK and the current news are the parts that make the GA section complete. It is important to know what is happening in and outside of India. GK updates are incorporated with the important news that made the headlines today. It is the complete bag of the important news that held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about the banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update of 8th November to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
1.Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan re-elected as President of UAE
- The UAE’s Supreme Council of the Union has re-elected his Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan as its President for a 4th five-year term, in accordance with the provisions of the UAE Constitution.
- He was first elected President on November 3, 2004, following the death of his father Shaikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan.
Daily GK Updates for IBPS PO Online Classes:
- Capital of UAE: Abu Dhabi; Currency: United Arab Emirates dirham.
2. Arvind Singh takes over as AAI chairman
- Arvind Singh, a 1988-batch IAS officer of Maharashtra cadre, took charge as the chairman of the Airports Authority of India (AAI).
- The AAI, which comes under the Ministry of Civil Aviation, owns and manages more than 100 airports across the country.
- Prior to this appointment, Singh was the additional chief secretary (Energy) of Maharashtra government.
- He also worked as chairman and managing director of Maharashtra State Power Generation Company Limited and Maharashtra State Electricity Transmission Company Limited.
3. Dr. Vinaya Shetty appointed as IODA’s 1st Indian and Asian General Vice President
- Dr Vinaya Shetty is the first Indian to be elected to the position of General Vice President (GVP), International Organisation Development Association (IODA) since its inception in 1986.
- She has helped in change and transformation of numerous organisations across industries in India and has been contributing to facilitating IODA’s efforts since 2009.
- In 2016, Vinaya became the first Indian woman entrepreneur finalist for the prestigious Empretech Women in Business Award by United Nations Conference Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
Daily GK Updates for IBPS CLERK Online Classes:
- President of IODA: Michelle de Bruyn; Formed: 1986.
4. GeM partners with Central Bank of India for payment related services
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) signed MoU with Central Bank of India.
- Through this partnership, Central Bank of India will be able to offer an array of services including transfer of funds through GeM Pool Accounts (GPA), advising of electronic Performance Bank Guarantees (e-PBG) and Earnest Money Deposit (EMD) to the registered users on the portal.
- GeM has already signed MoU with 18 Public Sector and Private Banks to enable this.
- GeM is an initiative of the Government of India which offers a one-stop platform for facilitating online procurement of goods and services by Central and State government organizations.
- GeM provides tools for Direct Purchase, bidding and reverse auction for ensuring transparent and efficient procurement.
5. Infosys Prize 2019 for science and research
- The Infosys Prize for 2019 was announced on November 7 at the Infosys campus in Bengaluru.
- The award is given annually to honour outstanding achievements of contemporary researchers and scientists across six categories are: Humanities: Manu V. Devadevan, Life Sciences: Manjula Reddy, Mathematical Sciences: Sidhartha Mishra, Physical Sciences: G. Mugesh, Social Sciences: Anand Pandian, Engineering and Computer Science: Sunita Sarawagi. The annual award includes a pure gold medal, a citation and a prize purse worth $100,000 or it’s equivalent in the Indian rupees.
6. West Bengal based writer Abhisek Sarkar wins award at Dhaka Lit-fest
- At the 9th edition of the Dhaka Literature festival, West Bengal-based writer Abhishek Sarkar and Bangladeshi poet Rofiquzzaman Rony were given the Gemcon Young Literature Award and Gemcon Young Poetry Award.
- Abhishek and Rofiquzzaman won the awards for their manuscripts, “Nishiddho” and “Dhoashar Tamate Rong,” respectively.
- The special focus of this year’s lit-fest is on Indigenous Languages as the UNESCO has marked 2019 as the year of Indigenous Language Protection.
7. Gulab Kothari to be awarded Raja Ram Mohan Roy Award
- Rajasthan Patrika group chairman Gulab Kothari has been chosen for the prestigious Raja Ram Mohan Roy Award, presented by the Press Council of India, for his outstanding contribution towards journalism.
- Sanjay Saini, Correspondent, Dainik Bhaskar, Mandi, and Raj Chengappa, Group Editorial Director, India Today, have been jointly named as winners of the award in the category of ‘Rural Journalism’.
Daily GK Updates for SBI PO Online Classes
- Press Council of India Formation: 1966; Headquarters: New Delhi.
8. Indian Navy, Indonesian Navy bilateral maritime exercise ‘Samudra Shakti
- India is jointly exercising its anti-submarine warfare corvette INS Kamorta along with Indonesian warship KRI Usman Harun, a multi-role corvette, in the Bay of Bengal as part of an ongoing bilateral exercise ”Samudra Shakti”.
- The aim of the exercise is to strengthen bilateral relations, expand maritime co-operation, enhance interoperability and exchange best practices.
- The joint exercises include manoeuvres, surface warfare exercises, air defence exercises, weapon firing drills, helicopter operations and boarding operations.
9. Bajaj Allianz General Insurance launches ‘Farmitra’ mobile app for farmers
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance has launched a new mobile app called ‘Farmitra’ for the ease of farmers. This app intends to help the farmers needs and address their worries.
- It also resolves with relevant information, which they can use in optimizing their farming practices.
- The app ‘Farmitra’ provides services for even those who are not customers of Bajaj Allianz.
- Besides crop insurance, the farmers can buy other covers from the private insurer and also obtain information like weather forecasts and market price of crops and locators for agriculture inputs.
- The application is currently implemented in 6 states, namely Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Haryana.
Daily GK Updates for SSC Online Classes
- Managing Director of Bajaj Allianz: Tapan Singhel; Headquartered: Pune, Maharashtra.
10. 15th Governing Council of SACEP 2019 held in Dhaka, Bangladesh
- The Union Minister for Environment, Forest and climate change & Information and Broadcasting(I&B), Prakash Javadekar, has participated in the 15th governing council meeting (GCM) of the South Asia Cooperative Environment Programme 2019 (SACEP) in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- The meet with the SACEP members countries witnessed the issues of plastic waste management, biodiversity and other issues related to the environment were discussed among South Asian Member countries.
- South Asia Co-operative Environment Programme (SACEP) is an inter-governmental organization which was established in 1982.
- Its member countries Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka aim to promote and support protection, management and enhancement of the environment in the region.
- The 14th meeting of the SACEP Governing Council was held in March last year in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Daily GK Updates for SSC CGL Online Classes
- Prime minister of Banladesh: Sheikh Hasina.
- Capital: Dhaka; Currency: Bangladeshi taka.
11. 2nd ‘No money for terror conference 2019’ held in Australia
- The 2nd ‘No Money for Terror’ 2019 conference going on in Melbourne, Australia.
- Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, G.Kishan Reddy is leading a five-member delegation to the ‘No Money For Terror’ Ministerial Conference taking place in Melbourne, Australia.
- This conference is Organised by Financial Intelligence Units (FIUs) of over 100 countries.
- This conference jointly called The Egmont Group, which was created to provide FIUs around the world a forum to exchange information confidentially to combat money-laundering, the financing of terrorism and other predicate offences.
- The first “No Money for Terror” conference was held in France in 2018. India would host the next ‘No Money For Terror’ Conference in 2020.
Daily GK Updates for SSC CHSL Online Classes
- Prime minister: Scott Morrison; Capital: Canberra.
- Currency: Australian dollar.
12. Vice President inaugurates 10th Asian Conference of Emergency Medicine
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurating 10th Asian Conference of Emergency Medicine in New Delhi.
- The aim of the conference is to develop programs and manuals to train citizens in emergency first aid procedures such as Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation as it will help in saving a life while waiting for emergency services.
- The Government of India has made it mandatory for all medical college hospitals to have full-fledged Emergency Departments by 2022 with an aim to improve trauma care.
13. Women’s boxing icon Nicola Adams announced retirement
- Two-time Olympic boxing champion Nicola Adams (37 years) announced her retirement from the sport on medical advice due to the vulnerability of losing eyesight.
- She became the first-ever women’s Olympic boxing champion at London 2012 in the United Kingdom(UK), and also the first female boxer to become a double Olympic champion after winning a second gold medal at the Rio Olympics 2016, in Brazil.
14. National Cancer Awareness Day 2019
- The National Cancer Awareness Day is observed annually in India on November 7, to spread awareness on cancer, its symptoms and treatment.
- The day was first observed in 2014 as and when announced by the union health minister Dr Harsh Vardhan.
- The day coincides with the birth anniversary of scientist Marie Curie (Marie Skłodowska Curie), winner of the 1903 Nobel Prize in Physics.
Daily GK Updates for IBPS CLERK Online Classes:
- World Cancer Day: February 4th
15. BBC’s announced 100 ‘Novels That Shaped Our World’ list
- The British Broadcasting Corporation announced a list of ‘100 Novels That Shaped Our World’. A panel of leading writers, curators and critics compiled the list for the network.
- The list contains ten categories including identity, love, sex and romance, politics, power and protest, and class and society. The BBC’s novel list is to mark the 300th anniversary of the publication of Daniel Defoe’s novel ‘Robinson Crusoe’.
- Renowned Indian authors like R K Narayan ( Swami and Friends), Arundhati Roy (The God of small things), Salman Rushdie (The Moor’s Last Sigh), Vikram Seth (A Suitable Boy) and S. Naipaul (A House for Mr Biswas) are among 100 writers who have featured on a list of the most inspiring novels chosen by a panel of experts and revealed by the BBC.