Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily GK Updates – 17th March Current Affairs
1. The former Chief Justice of India nominated to Rajya Sabha by the President
- President Ram Nath Kovind has nominated Former Chief Justice of India RanjanGogoi to the Rajya Sabha. A notification to this effect was issued by the Centre yesterday.
- Mr. Gogoi served as the 46th Chief Justice of India from 3rd October 2018 till 17th November last year.
- President of India nominates twelve persons to the Rajya Sabha.
- Apart from 12 members nominated by the president, the council of states also consists of representative from the states. These representatives should not exceed more than 280 in numbers from the states and union territories.
GKToday For SSC CGL Exams
Under Clause (3) of article 80, the President has powers to nominate persons with special knowledge to the council of states.
2. YES Bank’s full banking services to resume from March 18
- The full bank services of Yes Bank will resume from 6 pm on March 18, 2020
- The reconstructed bank can begin allotting its equity shares after two working days following the beginning of the reconstruction scheme.
- A new board of directors will be constituted, which will comprise the following people:
- Prashant Kumar: Former CFO/ Deputy MD of SBI will be the new CEO and MD of Yes Bank.
- Sunil Mehta: Former Non-Executive Chairman of PNB will be the new non-executive chairman of reconstructed Yes Bank.
- Mahesh Krishnamurthy: Non-Executive Director
- AtulBheda: Non-Executive Director
- The RBI may also appoint additional directors as it may deem necessary.
- The term of the board members will be for one year or until an alternate board is constituted by the reconstructed bank, whichever is earlier.
Daily Current Affairs for SBI CLERK Exams
The government announced a reconstruction plan for YES Bank, which came into effect on March 13 that involves SBI and other investors including ICCI, HDFC, Axis and Kotak Mahindra investing in Yes Bank and effectively owning at least 49 percent stake in the bank.
3. First COVID-19 vaccine trial begins in the United States
- The United States of America began the first human trial evaluating COVID-19 vaccine.
- Under the vaccination of COVID-19, three different doses are to be tested. During the trial phase, it is to be studied if the vaccines are safe and whether they stimulate the immune system of humans to create antibodies to stop COVID-19.
- The vaccine has been synthesized from a stretch of RNA embedded in a lipid nano particle.
- The vaccine is called mRNA-1273 and was developed by NIAID scientists and their collaborators at the biotechnology company Moderna, Inc., based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- The open-label trial will enroll 45 healthy adult volunteers’ ages 18 to 55 years over approximately 6 weeks.
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal directed the closure of all gyms, night clubs and spas in the national capital and a ban on all social, cultural, political, academic, and religious, sports or family gatherings with more than 50 people excluding weddings till March 31st.
4. Hirdesh Kumar to be Chief Electoral Officer
- The Election Commission of India appointed Hirdesh Kumar as the new Chief Electoral Officer of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- He will replace Shailendra Kumar.
- Hridesh Kumar, a 1999 batch IAS officer and was currently holding the post of Commissioner-Secretary, School Education and Social Welfare department in J&K UT.
GKToday for SBI PO Exams
J&K – Capital: Srinagar (May-October) &Jammu (November-April); Lieutenant Governor:Girish Chandra Murmu; Reorganized into 2 Union Territories – Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh on 31 October 2019.
5. Manipur Government announces schemes to benefit sportspersons, artistes
- The Manipur government has announced new schemes to provide benefits to the sportspersons and artistes in the state who have brought laurels to the nation.
- The state government announced two new schemes- CMAST scheme and CMAT scheme that are slated to be the biggest ever for the welfare of the sportspersons and artistes of the state.
- Under the Chief Minister’s AkhannabaSanaroisinggiTengbang- CMAST Scheme, a suitable employment in government services will be provided to sports persons, who have won medals in notified disciplines in selected International Sports events.It would also include a lifetime pension scheme for the unemployed sportspersons and coaches aged 50 years and above, who have represented the state or the country in national or international tournaments.
- Chief Minister Artist Sing giTengbang (CMAT) is designed for artistes with a view to encourage the artists in different fields and the pension will be extended to around 1000 artists in the state who are aged 60 years or above. It will also provide financial assistance to those artists who have won awards in national competitions and festivals.
GKToday For SSC CHSL Exams
MANIPUR – Capital:Imphal; Governor: Najma Heptulla; Chief Minister: N. Biren Singh.
Learn complete GKToday Here for last 2 years at.
Learn General Knowledge for 13th March 2020.
Learn General Knowledge for 12th March 2020.
Get online classes for IBSP , SBI PO and CLER , SSC CGL , SSC CHSL and other competitive exams at Takshila Learning.