Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
GKToday Updates : 06 October 2020 Daily Current Affairs
1. Foreign Ministers of Quad countries- India, US, Japan, Australia to meet in Tokyo today
- Foreign ministers of all four Quad countries will meet in the Japanese capital Tokyo today.
- External Affairs Ministry said, Foreign Ministers will discuss the post-COVID-19 international order and the need for a coordinated response to the various challenges emerging from the pandemic.
- They will also discuss regional issues and collectively affirm the importance of maintaining a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific.
GKToday Updates For Online banking classes:
This is the second such Quad foreign ministers meet. In 2019, all the foreign ministers of Quad countries met on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly.
2. Centre to urgently release Rs. 20,000 crore as compensation to States for revenue losses
- The Centre will urgently disburse nearly 20 thousand crore rupees among the states from the amount collected as compensation cess this year.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman made the announcement after the 42nd GST Council meet on Monday.
Briefing the media, she informed that by next week, the Centre will also disburse 25 thousand crore towards
- Integrated GST for 2017-18 to those states that received less amount due to the anomalies.
The GST Council also recommended the extension of Levy of Compensation Cess beyond the transition period of 5 years i.e. June 2022, for period as may be required to meet the revenue gap.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
Sources in the Ministry of Finance say that 21 states have already opted for Option 1 in which the States will have to borrow around Rs 97,000 crore via issue of debt under a special window.
3. 12th BRICS Summit to be held virtually on November 17
- The 12th BRICS Summit will be held on 17th November 2020 via video conference.
- The theme for this edition is “BRICS Partnership for Global Stability, Shared Security and Innovative Growth”.
- The Summit this year is being held under the Chairmanship of Russia and aims at a multifaceted cooperation between the member countries.
- The five member countries have continued close strategic partnership on all the three major pillars of peace and security, economy and finance, cultural and people-to-people exchanges.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc
Member of BRICS countries are Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
4. Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal launches Anti-Air Pollution Campaign
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched an anti-air pollution campaign named “Yudh Pradushan ke Virudh” for cleaner national capital.
- Under this campaign, the state has prepared separate plans for all the 13 pollution hotspots in the city. The focus areas of the campaign include transplantation of trees, adoption of Electric Vehicles and dust control.
- He said that air pollution could be life threatening amid the COVID-19 pandemic as both affect the lungs.
- He also announced setting up of war room to monitor all anti-pollution measures and development of Green Delhi mobile app.
5. DRDO successfully flight tests weapon system SMART- Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo
- India has successfully flight-tested SMART (Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo) from the Wheeler Island off the coast of Odisha on October 5, 2020.
- SMART is a missile assisted release of lightweight Anti-Submarine Torpedo System for the anti-submarine warfare (ASW) operations for far-beyond torpedo range.
- The launch and the demonstration of SMART is significant in establishing India’s anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capabilities.
- The Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh congratulated the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the successful flight test of SMART.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
Earlier in September 2020, DRDO had also successfully tested the Laser-Guided Anti Tank Guided Missile.
6. World Teachers’ Day: 05th October
- World Teachers’ Day is observed every year on 5th October globally.
- It aims to focus on appreciating, assessing and improving the educators of the world and to provide an opportunity to consider issues related to teachers and teaching.
- International Teachers Day is celebrated by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) in partnership with United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), International Labour Organisation (ILO) and Education International.
- The theme for World Teachers’ Day 2020 is “Teachers: Leading in Crisis, Reimagining the Future”.