Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
GKToday Updates : 10 Nov 2020 Daily Current Affairs
1. 15th Finance Commission submits report for 2021-26 to President Ram Nath Kovind
- Fifteenth Finance Commission submitted its report for the period of 2021-26 to President Ram Nath Kovind.
- The report has been finalized after wide-ranging consultations with the Union & State Govts, local governments, Chairmen and Members of previous Finance Commissions & other domain experts.
- The commission has analysed the finances of each state in great depth and has come up with state specific considerations to address the key challenges that individual states face.
- The report will be tabled in the Parliament by the Finance Minister along with an Action Taken Report of the government.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching classes:
The Fifteenth Finance Commission was constituted by the President with N.K. Singh as its Chairman. The other members of the commission include Ajay Narayan Jha, Prof. Anoop Singh, Dr. Ashok Lahiri and Dr. Ramesh Chand.
2. PM Modi to address virtual SCO summit chaired by Russian President today
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lead the Indian delegation to the 20th Summit of SCO Council of Heads of States.
- The meeting will be chaired by Russian President Vladimir Putin. Heads of States of all 8 Member States, Russia, China, India, Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan will be present at the meeting. The Summit will end with the adoption of the Moscow Declaration.
- In the last three years, India has maintained extensive engagement in all fields under the SCO framework.
- The SCO Summit of Heads of State is the main body of the organization that sets forth the Agenda and the main directions for the organization for the next year. It deals with all the main areas of the activity of the organization including political, security, trade, economic and cultural.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
This will be the first SCO Summit to be held in virtual format and third meeting that India will be participating as full member. India was granted observer status of SCO in 2005 and it became full member in 2017.
3. Nirmala Sitharaman attends 1st BRICS Finance Ministers & Central Bank Gov Meet
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman participated in the 1st BRICS Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors’ Meeting under the Russian Chairmanship to discuss the BRICS Economic and Financial Cooperation agenda for 2020.
- Finance Ministry said, Ms. Sitharaman talked about outcomes and initiatives of G-20 Saudi Arabia in 2020 on the Finance Track and highlighted role of BRICS members in reflecting Emerging Market Economies concerns in these initiatives.
- During the meeting, the Finance Minister also presented India’s views on discussions related to infrastructure investments and New Development Bank membership expansion.
GKToday Updates For Online banking classes:
BRICS is the group composed by the five major emerging countries – Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa -, which together represent about 42% of the population, 23% of GDP and 18% of the global trade.
4. Uttarakhand celebrates its 20th foundation day on 09th Nov
- Uttarakhand celebrated its 20th foundation day on 09 November.
- Governor Baby Rani Maurya, Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat and Assembly Speaker Prem Chand Agraval greeted the people on the occasion.
- The demand for the creation of Uttarakhand as a separate state of Uttarakhand arose in the year 1897. The demand for a separate state turned into a full fledged mass movement in 1994.
- The movement led to the formation of the Uttarakhand state in 2000.
The state was earlier named as ‘Uttaranchal’ when it was formed. But in 2007, state was renamed to Uttarakhand.
5. World Science Day for Peace and Development: 10th Nov
- World Science Day for Peace and Development is observed every year on 10th November.
- The day highlights the significant role of science in society and the need to engage the wider public in debates on emerging scientific issues.
- It was proclaimed by UNESCO in 2001 and was first celebrated worldwide on 10th Nov 2002.
- The theme for the year 2020 is: “Science for and with Society in dealing with the global pandemic.”