Get Updated Test Series on Takshila Learning
TODAY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 11th JANUARY 2020
1. Citizenship Amendment Act comes into effect, Govt issued Notification
- Citizenship Amendment Act came into effect as the central government has issued a notification for the revised citizenship act on January 10, 2020.
- According to this law, minorities of Hindu, Jain, Parsi, Sikh, Christian, and Buddhist communities who have come to India from Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan till December 31, 2014, and have suffered religious persecution in their countries will not be considered as illegal migrants. Instead, they will be given Indian citizenship.
- The Central Government decided to implement this law from January 10, 2020, under sub-section (2) of Section 1 of the Citizenship (Amendment) Act.
STATIC GK for IBPS PO 2020:
- The new citizenship act was passed from Parliament on December 11, 2019.
- It amended the Citizenship Act of 1955.
2. “World Hindi Day” celebrated globally
- This day is celebrated every year on January 10 with an objective to create a suitable environment for the promotion of Hindi worldwide and to present Hindi as the prevalent language of the world.
- The Indian Embassies located in other countries outside India celebrates World Hindi Day by organizing special programs. Various government and non-government institutions organise unique programs for the promotion of Hindi.
- The first World Hindi Conference was held in Nagpur on January 10, 1975, where 122 delegates from 30 countries participated in the program.
STATIC GK For SSC Online Classes:
- The World Hindi Day was observed first time in 2006 announced by Former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
- Hindi is the fifth most spoken language among the total languages spoken in the world.
- ‘National Hindi Day’ is celebrated on September 14 every year.
3. RBI allows banks to use V-CIP, amends KYC norms
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has amended the Know Your Customer (KYC) norms for banks and other financial institutions.
- The new norm, after amendment, allows these financial institutions to use video-based Customer Identification Process (V-CIP).
- This step will help banks and lending institutions to identify customers remotely.
- The central bank also advised the banks and other regulated entities to record the customer’s location (Geotagging) to ensure the customer’s physical presence in India.
STATIC GK For SBI Clerk online classes :
- RBI Current Governor (25th): Shaktikant Das;
- Headquarters: Mumbai;
- Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata.
4. India-2021 census exercise to begin on 1st April
- Census exercise India-2021 to begin on 1st April 2020 and will end on 30th of September 2020.
- Census India-2021 will be conducted through a mobile phone application.
- Enumerators of the census will seek the information of mobile number of the head of the family, information related to toilets, TV, Internet, vehicles owned, source of drinking water besides asking other questions during the house listing phase of the exercise.
- Census officers have been directed to ask as many as 31 questions to collect information from every household during the house listing and housing census exercise.
STATIC GK For RRB Online Classes:
- It was 15th Indian Census beginning from 1872 when the first census was conducted in India non-synchronously in different parts.
- Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India: Vivek Joshi
- Census Act was enacted in 1948.
5. SBI’s report ‘Ecowrap’ lowers India’s growth rate to 4.6% for FY 2020
- The SBI lowered the economic growth forecast to 4.6% from the earlier 5%. The latest SBI Ecowrap report even predicted growth rate to remain below 6 percent for the two years in a row.
- The report also stated that agriculture and allied activities are expected to grow at 2.8%, while growth in industry projected to grow at 2.5% in fiscal year 2020.
- The SBI Research Desk stated that factors like government expenditure are the key factors in determining the overall growth outlook for FY20.
STATIC GK For Daily GK Updates:
- Chairperson of SBI: Rajnish Kumar;
- Headquarters: Mumbai;
- Founded: 1 July 1955.
- On 1 July 1955, the Imperial Bank of India became the State Bank of India.