Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Today GK Updates – 19th Feb 2020 Current Affairs
1. Moody’s Investors Service slashed India’s growth forecast to 5.4 per cent for 2020
- Moody’s Investors Service slashed India’s growth forecast to 5.4 per cent for 2020 from 6.6 percent predicted earlier.
- In its Global Macro Outlook, Moody’s said India’s economy has decelerated rapidly over the last two years and expects economic recovery to begin in the current quarter.
- Global GDP growth forecast has also been revised down and expects G-20 economies to collectively grow at 2.4 per cent in 2020.
Moody’s, along with Standard & Poor’s and Fitch Group, is considered one of the big three credit rating agencies.
2. Popular Bengali film actor and former TMC MP Tapas Pal passes away
- Popular Bengali film actor and former Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Pal passed away. Tapas Pal acted in a number of Bengali films and his acting in ‘Dadar Kirti’, ‘Saheb’, ‘Parabat Priya’ and other films acclaimed appreciation.
- He was elected twice in Lok Sabha from Krishnanagar Constituency in Nadia District of West Bengal. Tapas Pal also elected in the State assembly.
3. India will be hosting 2021 junior men’s Hockey World Cup
- The International Hockey Federation (FIH) announced that India will host next year’s Junior Men’s World Cup.
- The tournament will be played towards the end of 2021 and the exact venue and dates for the tournament will be announced at a later stage. In all, 16 teams will compete for the title in the Junior Men’s World Cup, out of which six will be from Europe, four from Asia, including hosts India, two from Africa, two from Oceania and two from Pan America.
GK TODAY UPDATES for SSC CHSL Online Classes:
This is the second time India will be hosting this tournament, last time it was organized in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh in 2016, where the hosts lifted the trophy.
4. Sachin Tendulkar Wins Sporting Moment of the Year Award
- Sachin Tendulkar has won the Laureus Sporting Moment Award on February 18, 2020. The Laureus sports awards event was held in Germany’s capital Berlin. Sachin Tendulkar won this award based on the public fan vote.
- The jury selected a picture of Team India carrying Sachin Tendulkar on shoulders for the best sporting moment award. India won the World Cup by defeating Sri Lanka by 6 wickets at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai in 2011.
- Apart from that, Argentine star footballer Lionel Messi and Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton jointly won Sportsman of the Year award.
Sachin Tendulkar is the highest run scorer of all time in International cricket. He is the only player to have scored one hundred international centuries, the first batsman to score a double century in an ODI, the holder of the record for the most runs in both Test and ODI, and the only player to complete more than 30,000 runs in international cricket.
5. Soil Health Card Scheme completed five years
- The ambitious Soil Health Card Scheme is completing five years on 18 February 2020. The scheme was launched in 2015 to assess the nutrient status of every farm holding in the country.
- The objectives of the scheme are to issue Soil Health Cards to farmers every two years so as to provide a basis to address nutritional deficiencies in fertilization practices. Soil Health Card provides information to farmers on the nutrient status of their soil along with recommendations on the appropriate dosage of nutrients to be applied for improving soil health and its fertility.
STATIC GK for SBI Clerk online classes :
From 2015 to 2017, over 10 crores Soil Health Cards were distributed to farmers in the first phase. In the second phase, over 11 crore cards have been distributed to farmers across the country.