Get Updated Test Series on Takshila Learning
Weekly 14th to 20th of October 2019 : Gk Updates
Nobel Prize Winners 2019
The Nobel Prize 2019 were announced recently in 6 different fields viz. Physiology or Medicine, Physics, Chemistry, Literature, Peace, and Economic Sciences. The Nobel Prize distribution was first done on 1901. The winners will receive a full cash prize, valued this year at 9-million kronor ($918,000), a gold medal and a diploma.
Chronicle of the Nobel Prize:
On November 27, 1895, Alfred Nobel signed his 3rd and last will at the Swedish-Norwegian Club in Paris in which he specifically designated the institutions responsible for the prizes he wished to be established: The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences for the Nobel Prize in Physics and Chemistry, Karolinska Institutet for the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, the
Swedish Academy for the Nobel Prize in Literature, and a Committee of five persons to be elected by the Norwegian Parliament (Storting) for the Nobel Peace Prize. In 1968, the Sveriges Riksbank established the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel.
- The Nobel Foundation, a private institution established in 1900, has the ultimate responsibility for fulfilling the intentions in Alfred Nobel’s will. Each year, thousands of members of academies, university professors, scientists, previous Nobel Laureates and members of parliamentary assemblies and others, are asked to submit candidates for the Nobel Prizes for the coming year.
- After receiving all nominations, the Nobel Committees of the 4 prize awarding institutions are responsible for the selection of the
Complete list of the winners of Nobel Prize 2019:
Physiology or Medicine
|William G. Kaelin (USA)||
for their discoveries of how cells sense and adapt to oxygen availability
|Harvard Medical School|
|Sir Peter J. Ratcliffe
|University of Oxford|
|Gregg L. Semenza (USA)||Johns Hopkins University|
|James Peebles (Canada)||for theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology||Princeton University|
|Michel Mayor (Switzerland)||
for the discovery of an exoplanet orbiting a solar-type star
|University of Geneva|
|Didier Queloz (Switzerland)||University of Geneva|
|John B. Goodenough (Germany)||
for the development of lithium-ion batteries
|University of Texas|
|M. Stanley Whittingham (United Kingdom)||Binghamton University|
|Akira Yoshino (Japan)||Asahi Kasei Corporation|
Olga Tokarczuk (Poland)
|for a narrative imagination that with encyclopedic passion represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life|
Peter Handke (Austria)
|for an influential work that with linguistic ingenuity has explored the periphery and the specificity of human experience|
|5||Peace||Abiy Ahmed Ali (Ethiopia)||for his efforts to achieve peace and international cooperation||Prime Minister of Ethiopia|
|Abhijit Banerjee (India)||
for their experimental approach to alleviating global poverty
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Esther Duflo (France)||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Michael Kremer (USA)||Harvard University|
- The 2019 Global Hunger Index (GHI) indicates that the level of hunger and undernutrition worldwide falls into the serious category. As per the index, India ranks 102nd out of 117 qualifying countries, with a score of 3.
- India has slipped from 95th rank in 2010 to 102nd in 2019 on the Global Hunger Index (GHI), with the increase in the prevalence of wasting (low weight for height) among children with score under 5 contributing the most to the country’s poor performance. Seventeen countries, including Belarus, Ukraine, Turkey, Cuba and Kuwait, shared the top rank with GHI scores less than
IMF cuts World and India growth rates
- There were only four countries in the alarming hunger category are Madagascar, Chad, Yemen and the Central African Republic in the extremely alarming hunger
- The report warned that climate change was causing alarming levels of hunger and making it more difficult to feed people in the world’s most vulnerable
- The Global Hunger Index is a peer-reviewed annual report, jointly published by Concern Worldwide and Welthungerhilfe, designed to comprehensively measure and track hunger at the global, regional, and country levels. The aim of the GHI is to trigger action to reduce hunger around the
India wins four UNESCO heritage awards
- The UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation awards were announced at a ceremony held in Penang, Malaysia. 4 heritage landmarks from India were chosen for the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation 2019.
- Renewal of Tai Kwun Centre for Heritage and Arts in Hong Kong received the Award of Excellence, which is the highest award among all
- The World Bank-International Monetary Fund (IMF) annual meetings kicked off on a somber note, with the IMF downgrading global growth in 2019 to 3%, the slowest since the global financial
- India’s growth projections have also been downgraded to 1% and 7.0% in 2019 and 2020 respectively, down by 1.2 percentage points and 0.5 percentage points relative to April projections, owing to weaker than expected domestic demand. India’s growth rate in the April-June quarter had hit 5%, the lowest in six years, as per government data. Consumption, investment and exports were down.
- The IMF projected the S. would grow at 2.4% and 2.1% in 2019 and 2020 respectively. For China, growth was projected to grow at 6.1% and 5.8% in 2019 and 2020.
NITI Aayog launches India Innovation Index 2019
- NITI Aayog with Institute for Competitiveness as the knowledge partner released the India Innovation Index
(III) 2019. Karnataka is the most innovative major state in India.
- Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Telangana, Haryana, Kerala, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Gujarat, and Andhra Pradesh form the remaining top ten major states
- Sikkim and Delhi take the top spots among the northeastern & hill states, and union territories/city- states/small states
- Delhi, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, and Uttar Pradesh are the most efficient states in translating inputs into
- The study examines the innovation ecosystem of Indian states and union
- The aim is to create a holistic tool which can be used by policymakers across the country to identify the challenges to be addressed and strengths to build on when designing the economic growth policies for their regions.
- 10th edition of the Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav- National Cultural Festival is being organized by the Union Ministry of Culture from 14th to 21st of October under the ‘Ek Bharat, Shreshtha Bharat’ campaign in Madhya
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has become the most- followed elected world leader on photo-sharing app
- The nation pays homage to former President Dr A P J Abdul Kalam on his 88th birth anniversary and remembered his contributions to the
- Air India became the first airline in the world to use a Taxibot on a A320 aircraft with passengers on board. Taxibot is a robot-used aircraft tractor for taxiing an aircraft from parking bay to runway and vice
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs has launched a revamped and streamlined programme to attract investments into India and strengthen Make in India through manufacture and other operations under the bond scheme, of Customs Act,
- Indian Railways (IR) has announced that it will become a net-zero carbon emitter by
- Railways Minister Piyush Goyal flagged off 9 ‘Sewa Service’
- India’s longest Tunnel Chenani- Nashri on NH 44, in Jammu and Kashmir will be named after Bhartiya Jansangh Founder Dr Shyama Prasad
- Union Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari has announced the naming of new National Highway No. 703AA as “Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Marg.”
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Harsh Vardhan released a postal stamp to commemorate the centenary celebrations of the city-based ICMR-National Institute of Nutrition (NIN).
States in the News
- The Culture Department of Uttar Pradesh government is going to organise the country’s first training and performance programme of world-famous KHON Ramlila, a masked form of Ramlila art of Thailand in collaboration with the Thai
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism and Culture Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated Shirui Lily Festival, 2019 at Shirui Vangayan Ground of Ukhrul in
- The Tamil Nadu government constituted two committees to deal over water disputes with Kerala relating to the Parambikulam-Aliyar Project (PAP) and the Pandiyar-Punnampuzha Secretary of Tamil Nadu’s Public Works Department (PWD) K. Manivasan would lead both the committees.
- Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik has inaugurated J&K Bazar.
- Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Kamal Nath formally inaugurated the 2-day Magnificent Madhya Pradesh Conference
- Odisha’s smart city Bhubaneswar gets it 1st Robo Chef Restaurant in Odisha. where two indigenously developed robots, ‘Champa’ and ‘Chameli’ are engaged.
- Kais Saied is elected as the new President of Tunisia after a landslide victory in recently concluded Presidential runoff. The Independent law professor Kais Saied won against his rival, Nabil
- India handed over the second pair of Mi-24V helicopters to war-torn Afghanistan, boosting the capability of the Afghan Air
- UAE announced the establishment of the Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence( MBZUAI) in Abu Dhabi. This is the first graduate-level, research- based AI university in the
- Italy approved a new tax on digital companies, including U.S. tech giants, as part of its 2020 draft budget on October
- The United Nation General Assembly has elected 14 States to the 47 member body of UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC). The Assembly elected Armenia, Brazil, Germany, Indonesia, Japan, Libya, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Netherlands, Poland, Republic of Korea, Sudan and
- Nasa astronauts Christina Koch and Jessica Meir have made history by completing the first-ever all-female spacewalk. They spent 7 hours outside the International Space Station (ISS) replacing a failed power control
- IIT Madras will collaborate with ExxonMobil on Research in Energy and Biofuels. The 5-year joint- research agreement focuses on biofuels, data analytics, gas conversion and transport, and is intended towards finding low-emission
- Mastercard, along with cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni, launched a nationwide initiative ‘Team Cashless India’ to accelerate the acceptance and adoption of digital
- Home Credit India (HCIN), a local arm of the international consumer finance provider, has tied-up with Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) for joint
Books and Authors
- The founder of Microsoft Corporation and American philanthropist Bill Gates’ new book titled “How to Avoid a Climate Disaster: The Solutions We Have and the Breakthroughs We Need” will be released on June
- A new book titled “India in a Warming World: Integrating Climate Change and Development” is set to release on November 2019, edited by Navroz K Dubash.
- Indian Chess player, Viswanathan Anand has penned a book titled “Mind Master: Winning Lessons from a Champion’s Life”.
- Life Insurance Council has decided to launch the Indian life insurance industry’s first joint mass media campaign with the slogan ‘Sabse Pehle Life Insurance’.
- ICICI Bank has launched a fixed deposit scheme called FD Health, that comes with an in-built critical insurance policy. The FD Health – Critical illness Cover will be provided to only the primary holder of the FD
- The Department of Post announced that it has launched mobile banking for its savings account
- K Satish Reddy, Chairman of Dr Reddy’s has been appointed as President of the Indian Pharmaceutical Alliance (IPA) for 2019-2021.
- Mastercard India, payment technology major, elevated Vikas Varma as the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the
- Kishan Dan Dewal (IFS officer of 2003 batch), has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to Georgia. He will replace Yogeshwar
- Government of India has appointed P. S. Chawla, (1985-batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) Officer) as the new Controller General of Accounts (CGA), Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure.
- Anoop Kumar Mendiratta has been appointed as the new Law Secretary (Secretary, Legal Affairs) in the Union Law
- The World Steel Association (Worldsteel) has elected Sajjan Jindal, Chairman and Managing Director, JSW Steel, as Vice-Chairman of the association for one
- A senior 1985-batch IPS officer of Gujarat cadre Anup Kumar Singh has been appointed as Director-General of the National Security Guard (NSG).
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Sudhaker Shukla as Whole-Time Member, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI).
- European Union leaders confirmed the appointment of Christine Lagarde as the new chief of the European Central
- The 2nd joint military exercise ‘Dharma Guardian- 2019’ to promote military cooperation between India and Japan will be held in Mizoram from 19 Oct to 02 Nov
- The 10th edition of the joint military exercise ‘Vajra Prahar 2019’ between India and the US will be held at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Seattle,
- Indian Air Force and Japanese Air Self Defence Force (JASDF) carrying out a joint military air force exercise named ‘Shinyuu Maitri’ began from October
17 to 23, at the air force station, Arjan Singh in Panagarh town in West Bengal.
- Indian Air Force (IAF) kickstarted its bilateral joint exercise with Royal Air Force Oman (RAFO), named ‘EX EASTERN BRIDGE-V’ at Air Force Base Masirah,
- Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) has conducted the 2nd edition of Defence of Andaman & Nicobar Islands 2019 (DANX-19).
Awards and Recognitions
- The 31st Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration for the years 2017 and 2018 will be awarded to the pioneer of the Chipko Movement Chandi Prasad Bhatt for his services in promoting and preserving the national
- Noted director and producer Priyadarshan, who has made several blockbuster Malayalam and Hindi films, was conferred the Madhya Pradesh government’s National Kishore Kumar Samman for 2018-19 at a function in Khandwa,
- Margaret Atwood and Bernardine Evaristo have jointly won the 2019 Booker Prize after judges flout the rules by declaring a tie.
- Barcelona captain Leo Messi received his 6th Golden Shoe as the top scorer in the European
- Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra has been named orchestra of the year at the 2019 Gramophone Awards.
Summit and Conference
- The first National Hindi Science writers conference 2019 started in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh with an aim to promote the use of Hindi and other Vernacular languages in science
- Union Road Transport & Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated a conference on ‘One Nation One Tag – FASTag’ in New Delhi to roll out the process for having a .unified electronic system across the country
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the 41st DRDO Directors Conference in New
- India will host the 91st Interpol General Assembly in 2022 after a proposal received the overwhelming support of member countries at this year’s congregation at Santinago in
- Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated the 11th Edition of Nuclear Energy Conclave 2019 in New Delhi. The theme of the Conclave: “Economics of Nuclear Power- Innovation towards Safer & Cost-Effective Technologies”. It was organized by India Energy Forum (IEF).
Ranks and Reports
- India ranked 82 spots among the 128 countries surveyed in the World Giving Index (WGI)
- Manju Rani settled for silver medal in World Women’s Boxing Championships at Ulan-Ude in Russia.
- Indian shuttler Lakshya Sen clinched his maiden BWF World Tour title by winning the Dutch Open men’s singles at Almere in the
- Indian shuttler Priyanshu Rajawat wins the men’s singles title at the Bahrain International Series Badminton at Isa Town,
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has changed the super-over rule for all its major events following the uproar over the outcome of the men’s World Cup final this year when England was declared winners against New Zealand on boundary
- Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas (Finland) won the 2019 Japanese Grand Prix held at the Suzuka International Racing Course in Suzuka in Mie Prefecture,
- Zimbabwe and Nepal were re-admitted as ICC members in a meeting held in
- The Indian football team won the 3rd Edition of the SAFF U-15 Women’s Championships 2019 by beating Bangladesh by 5-3 in the penalty shoot-out.
- The 17-year-old Mumbai teenager Yashasvi Jaiswal make history as she became the youngest cricketer in the world to score a double century in One Day cricket. She scored 203 off 154 balls against Jharkhand at Alur, Karnataka.
- England all-rounder Jennifer Louise Gunn has announced her retirement from international
- World Standards Day (or International Standards Day) is celebrated internationally each year on 14 October. 2019 theme: Video standards create a global
- The International Day of Rural Women is observed on 15th October. The day recognizes the crucial role of women and girls in ensuring the sustainability of rural households and communities, improving rural livelihoods and overall wellbeing. This year’s theme is “Rural Women and Girls Building Climate Resilience”.
- World Students’ Day is celebrated every year on October 15 on former president APJ Abdul Kalam’s
- World Food Day is celebrated every year around the world on 16 October in honor of the date of the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations in 1945. The theme for WFD 2019 is “Our Actions Are Our Future”.
- The United Nations’ (UN) International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed on October 17 each year since 1993. 2019 Theme: Acting Together to Empower Children, their Families and Communities to End Poverty
|· Alexei Leonov, the first human to walk in space passed away. He was the legendary Soviet cosmonaut who became the first human to walk in space 54 years ago.
· First female head of Nobel’s Literature Award Body,
Sara Danius passed away.
· Internationally acclaimed painter of Bangladesh
Kalidas Karmakar passed away in Dhaka.
· Cuban ballet dancer Alicia Alonso passed away at 98.
· Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a commemorative stamp in honour of Marshal of the Indian Air Force late Arjan Singh.
· Indian nun Mariam Thresia from Kerala and four other nuns were declared Saints by Pope Francis at a grand ceremony at the Vatican City.
· Over 1,500 students from 32 different colleges and university participated in the ‘Sangam Youth Festival’ being organised by the Indian Army in collaboration with Jammu University Campus in a bid to spread the message of peace, prosperity, communal harmony and national integration.
· The 2nd phase of an Indo-Dutch project called Local Treatment of Urban Sewage Streams for Healthy Reuse, or LOTUS-HR was launched at Barapullah drain in New Delhi.
· Secretary Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) Guruprasad Mohapatra launched the website and mobile application L2Pro India [Learn to
· Protect, Secure and Maximize Your Innovation] on
Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs).
· The 129th death anniversary of the mystic bard Fakir Lalon Shah is being observed in Bangladesh.
· Textiles Secretary, Ravi Capoor, inaugurated the 48th edition of the Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fair (IHGF) at the India Expo Centre & Mart at Greater Noida. The theme of IHGF-Delhi Fair 2019: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
· Kiran Uniyal, w/o a serving Colonel of Indian Army has created Individual Guinness World Records for “The most full contact knee strikes in three minutes (one leg) (female), 263 strikes” & “The most full contact knee strikes alternate legs in one minute(female),120 strikes”.
· The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) is planning to review the 14-year- old National Curriculum Framework (NCF) in accordance with new national education policy (NEP) and set up a committee for the purpose.
· India’s livestock population has increased to over
535.78 million showing an increase of 4.6 per cent over Livestock Census-2012. The Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying released the 20th Livestock Census -2019.
|· Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism: Prahlad Singh Patel.
· Chairman of Life Insurance Council: M.R. Kumar; Headquarters: Mumbai.
· Mastercard Founded: 1966; Headquarters: New York, US.
· Chief of the Army Staff: General Bipin Rawat.
· IAF Founded: 8 October 1932; IAF Headquarters: New Delhi.
· IAF Motto: Touch the sky with glory.
· Capital of Tunisia: Tunis; Currency of Tunisia: Tunisian Dinar.
· Chairman and CEO of ExxonMobil: Darren W. Woods.
· Headquarters of ExxonMobil: Texas, United States.
· MD & CEO of ICICI Bank: Sandeep Bakhshi; Headquarters: Mumbai.
· Tagline: Hum Hai Na, Khyal Apka.
· King of Bahrain: Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa; Capital: Manama.
· Chief Minister of UP: Yogi Adityanath; Governor: Anandiben Patel; Capital: Lucknow.
· ICC Chairman: Shashank Manohar; Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
· The 13th edition of ICC Cricket World Cup will be held in India from February 9 to March 26, 2023.
· President of Georgia: Salome Zurabishvili; Prime Minister of Georgia: Giorgi Gakharia.
· Capital of Georgia: Tbilisi; Currency of Georgia: Georgian lari.
· Food and Agriculture Organization headquarters: Rome, Italy.
· Food and Agriculture Organization Established: 16 October 1945.
· Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs is a part of the Department of Revenue under the Ministry of Finance, Government of India.
· MD of IMF: Kristalina Georgieva, Headquarters: Washington DC, USA.
· Thailand Capital: Bangkok; Currency: Baht.
- Controller General of Accounts headquarters: New Delhi.
- Air Force Chief of India: Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria.
- Mastercard Founded: 1966; Headquarters: New York, US.
- Bangladesh Capital: Dhaka; Currency: Taka; PM: Sheikh Hasina.
- Governor of Manipur: Padmanabha Balkrishna Acharya; Capital of Manipur:
- Jammu and Kashmir governor: Satya Pal
- Oman Capital: Muscat, Currency: Omani rial
- Managing Director and CEO: PR Seshadri; founded: 1916.
- Headquarters: Karur, Tamil
- Tagline: Smart Way to
- President: Sergio Mattarella; Prime Minister: Giuseppe Conte.
- Capital: Rome; Currency:
- Chairman of World Steel Association: Andre Johannpeter; Formed: 10 July
- Headquarters: Brussels,
- Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu: Edappadi K.
- Governor of Tamil Nadu: Banwarilal
- Tamil Nadu Capital:
- Governor of Madhya Pradesh: Lal Ji
- Utkal Divas or Odisha Day falls every year on 01st
- Director of NCERT (ex-officio) Chairperson: Prof. Hrushikesh Senapaty.
- Headquarters of NCERT: New
- ICMR Director: Balram Bhragava; NIN Director: R. Hemaltha.
- The National Security Guard (NSG) was formed on September 22, 1986 to save the country from terror activities.
- The National Security Guard (NSG) comes under the control of Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- Interpol is an international police cooperation organisation with 194 member states and 100 years of experience of international cooperation in
- Headquarters of Interpol: Lyon,
- Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying: Giriraj
- President of UNHRC: Coly Seck; Formation: 15 March 2006.
- Headquarters: Geneva,
- Chairperson: MS Sahoo; IBBI Established: 1 October 2016.
- Headquarters: New
- ECB headquarters: Frankfurt, Germany; Currency: