Get Updated Test Series on Takshila Learning
Weekly Current Affairs 05th to 11th of August 2019
- Union Government scrapped article 370 and 35A in J&K and introduced a new bill named “J&K Reorganisation Bill 2019” which bifurcated the state of Jammu and Kashmir into 2 new Union Territories: Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
- National Academy of Art, Lalit Kala Akademi, celebrated its 65th Foundation Day in New Delhi.
- The Rajya Sabha has passed the Consumer Protection Bill, 2019. The bill will lead to setting up of a Central Consumer Protection Authority to promote, protect and enforce the rights of consumers as a class.
- India contributed 5 million USD to the UN Palestine refugee agency and called for ensuring sustained financial support for the organisation’s work. The amount was hand over to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) for Palestinian Refugees.
- The Rajya Sabha has passed a Bill for more judges in Supreme Court. The bill proposed an increase in the sanctioned strength of the Supreme Court from 30 to 33 judges.
- The 66th National Film awards have been announced by Rahul Rawail, head of the Jury for feature films. The Jury unanimously conferred the award for the Most Film Friendly State to “Uttarakhand”.
- The Department of Heavy Industry has sanctioned 5,595 electric buses under the phase II of Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles (FAME) India scheme.
- India and Bangladesh have agreed to set up a Joint Technical committee for optimum use of Ganges water.
- Union HRD Minister will launch ‘Samagra Shiksha-Jal Suraksha’ to create awareness about Water Conservation among all school students in the country.
- The NITI Aayog will launch the 4th Edition of Women Transforming India (WTI) Awards in collaboration with the United Nations to recognize women entrepreneurs from across India.
- President Ram Nath Kovind has signed National Medical Commission Bill. The NMC bill aims at mega reforms in the medical education sector and will replace the nearly 63-year-old Indian Medical Council Act.
- President has approved the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019. The bill amends the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
- “One Nation One Ration Card” scheme to be rolled out in India from June 1, 2020. To implement the scheme successfully, the centre has kick started inter state portability of ration card pairing two states each.
- The Khadi and Village Industry Commission has launched “Leather Mission” on World Tribal Day. Under this mission, the commission will give leather kits to the leather artisans across the nation.
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, hosted an ‘At Home’ reception for freedom fighters. The reception was hosted on the occasion of the 77th anniversary of Quit India Day (August 9) at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
States in the News
- Arunachal Pradesh State Home Minister has flagged of 5 Anti-Riot police vehicle, also known as Vajra, from Police Headquarter in Itanagar.
- Maharashtra has launched an initiative Mission Shakti to train athletes from Chandrapur and Gadchiroli for international events like the Olympics.
- The Rajasthan Assembly passed Bills against mob lynching and honour killing, which make the cognisable, non–bailable and non-compoundable offences with life imprisonment and a fine up to Rs 5 lakh.
- The Centre has approved a Kosi-Mechi river interlining project in Bihar. Estimated cost of the project is Rs 4,900 crore.
- The Andhra Pradesh government will launch the Navodayam scheme which is an outreach programme for thousands of ailing Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in the state.
- Minister of State for Higher Education Bhanwar Singh Bhati inaugurated the new higher education model, titled Resource Assistance for Colleges with Excellence(RACE) in Rajasthan.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a USD 200 million loan for improving road infrastructure in 34 districts of Maharashtra.
- Uttar Pradesh’s “Vriksharopan Mahakumbh” drive has created world record after planting more than 22 crore saplings. The drive was launched on the occasion of 77th anniversary of Quit India Movement.
- The United States has officially labeled China a “currency manipulator”. The US has accused China of using yuan to gain “unfair competitive advantage” in trade.
- Bangladesh signed a deal with Russia for the supply of uranium for its 2400 MW Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant (RNPP).
- 5 lakh Rohingya refugees living in Bangladesh have been issued identity documents by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
- Iran unveiled 3 precision-guided air-to-air missiles named the “Yasin”, “Balaban” and a new series of the “Ghaem”.
- AustralianSuper and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan will invest $1 billion each in the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) Master Fund.
- The Indian Institute of Technology Madras partnered with National Institute of Ocean Technology to harness electricity from ocean waves.
- The National Institute of Solar Energy and the United Nations Industrial Development Organization have signed an agreement to initiate a skill development programme for different levels of beneficiaries in the solar thermal energy sector.
- The Uttar Pradesh government has extended bilateral agreements with Netherlands till 2024. The previously inked MoUs sought cooperation and exchange of the knowledge and techniques in the fields of solid waste management, spatial planning, water management including restoration of water bodies and mobility planning.
- Indian Bank has entered into a corporate agency agreement with Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company Ltd.
- The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a collective penalty of Rs 11 crore on 7 public sector banks for non-compliance with certain provisions of directions issued by RBI on ‘Code of Conduct for Opening and Operating Current Accounts.
- RBI has imposed a fine of Rs 1 crore on Corporation Bank for non-compliance of norms related to cyber security framework for banks, frauds classification and reporting.
- To protect consumers’ interest, the Centre has proposed guidelines for e-commerce firms that entail a 14-day deadline to effect refund request, mandate e-tailers to display details of sellers supplying goods and services on their websites and moot the procedure to resolve consumer complaints.
- In its 3rd Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Committee meeting the repo rate was reduced from 5.75% to 5.40%, the reverse repo rate under the LAF stands revised to 5.15%, the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate revised to 5.65%, and RBI has also reduced the real GDP growth for 2019-20 from 7% to 6.9%.
- The Reserve Bank of India has decided to set up a “Central Payment Fraud Registry”. The registry will track frauds in the payment systems.
- Securities and Exchange Board of India has approved Singapore Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange of India Ltd to operate jointly in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City, Gandhinagar. The two entities will create a new platform for trading called NSE International Financial Service Centre (IFSC)-SGX Connect.
- The Reserve Bank of India will make available the National Electronic Funds Transfer system on a 24×7 basis from December 2019 as per the Payment System Vision 2021 document.
- Mastercard announced the launch of Identity Check Express, a next-generation, mobile-first authentication solution that aims to redefine the e-commerce journey for Indian consumers.
- Bengaluru based Housing startup “Grexter Living” which is a co-living provider, has acquired i2Stay.
- Noel Quinn, the head of HSBC’s Global Commercial Banking unit will replace John Flint as the interim CEO of HSBC.
- Indian IT company Mindtree Ltd has announced the appointment of Debashis Chatterjee as its new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- tate-owned Power Grid Corporation Director (Finance) Kandikuppa Sreekant assumed the charge of the chairman and managing director of Power Grid Corporation of India.
- India successfully test-fired its all-weather tracked-chassis Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile (QR-SAM), jointly developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Bharat Electronics Ltd, from a mobile launcher at launch complex III of the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Odisha.
- The 5th edition of International Army Scout Masters Competition with teams from 8 countries including India, China and Russia as participants was inaugurated at the Jaisalmer Military Station under the aegis of the Southern Command.
- INS Tarkash has arrived in Norway for a 3 day visit as part of Western Fleet Overseas Deployment.
Awards and Recognitions
- India’s transsexual woman Naaz Joshi was crowned Miss World Diversity 2019. This event was held in Port Louis, Mauritius.
- Actor Steve Coogan will be felicitated with the Charlie Chaplin Award by the British Academy’s Los Angeles branch. He will receive the honour during the 2019 Britannia Awards.
- ISRO has announced its “Vikram Sarabhai Journalism Award in Space Science, Technology and Research” to recognize and reward journalists who have actively contributed towards the field of space science, applications, and research.
- The 4th edition of the National Entrepreneurship Awards, instituted in a bid to recognize and encourage outstanding Indian Entrepreneurs and catalyse a cultural shift in youth for entrepreneurship by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE).
Summit and Conference
- Human Resources Development Minister inaugurated Technology Expo at IIT Delhi to showcase the latest innovation in the field of science and technology.
- In the 10th Mekong-Ganga Cooperation (MGC) in Thailand’s Bangkok, the Ministers adopted the new MGC Plan of Action 2019-2022 that envisages project-based cooperation in the seven areas.
- The 3rd edition of India’s largest education brainstorming event, the ScooNews Global Educators Fest (SGEF) will held in the city of lakes, Udaipur.
- The 2nd All India Annual Conference of Indian Information Service Officers was held in New Delhi. The Conference was organized with a view to attain greater integration of all Media Units under the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting in order to further amplify government communication.
- The 3rd International Electric Vehicle Conclave was inaugurated at the International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT) in Manesar, Haryana.
Ranks and Reports
- Tarava police station in the Subarnapur district of Odisha has been adjudged as one of the 10 best police stations in India in the annual ranking for the year 2018.
- Serena Williams topped the List Of Highest-Paid Female Athletes 2019 published by Forbes.
- Manipur has topped the rankings in Breastfeeding and Infant and Young Child Feeding Practices in the country.
- Formula One Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton defeated Max Verstappen to win the Hungarian Grand Prix.
- India’s Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty defeated Li Jun Hui and Liu Yu Chen to won the men’s doubles final of the Thailand Open badminton championship in Bangkok.
- Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has been named as Professional Cricketers Association’s Player of the month of July 2019.
- South African bowler Dale Steyn has announced his retirement from Test cricket.
- Vinesh Phogat won gold in women’s 53kg category at Poland Open wrestling tournament in Warsaw.
- German cancer researcher Fiona Kolbinger won the mixed annual 4,000km(2,485 miles) cycling Transcontinental Race from Burgas in Bulgaria to Brest in France.
- Australia’s reigning world-champion hurdler Sally Pearson announced her surprise retirement due to injury.
- Australia’s Nick Kyrgios kept his composure and captured the ATP Washington Open title, defeating Russia’s 10th-ranked Daniil Medvedev.
- Legendary Uruguay striker Diego Forlan has announced his retirement from professional football.
- The 77th anniversary of the August Kranti Din or Quit India Movement, which is considered as one of the important milestones in the history of freedom struggle of our country, is being observed.
- South African batsman Hashim Amla has retired from all formats of international cricket.
- The World Archery (WA) has suspended the Archery Association of India for violating its guidelines.
- The Cricket Australia has announced new transgender inclusive policy. This policy will enable transgender players to play the game of cricket at the highest levels.
- United Nations observes 9th August every year as International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples. Theme for year 2019: Indigenous Languages.
- Japan commemorates the 9th August every year as the Nagasaki day. On August 9, 1945, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki, Japan.
- The Board Of Control For Cricket In India has agreed to come under the ambit of the National Anti-Doping Agency.
Science & Technology
- Scientists have developed an automated system that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to detect and capture fast radio bursts (FRBs) in real-time.
- The Super-Earth planet named GJ 357 d was discovered in early 2019 owing to NASA’s Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS), a mission designed to comb the heavens for exoplanets.
- A team of researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati has developed a portable device to detect bacteria without cell culture or microbiological assays.
- US carrier rocket Falcon 9 loaded with Israeli AMOS-17 communication satellite successfully lifted off from a space centre in Florida, spacecraft manufacturer SpaceX.
- August 6 marks the anniversary of the atomic bombing in Hiroshima during World War II.
- India celebrates National Handloom Day every year on 7th August. Bhubaneswar has been chosen as the venue for the celebrations of the day for its rich tradition of Handlooms.
- The Virasat-e-Khalsa Museum in Punjab’s Anandpur Sahib town is all set to find a place in the Asia Book of Records for becoming the most visited museum in the Indian sub-continent in a single day.
- Veteran Gujarati journalist, author and columnist Kanti Bhatt passed away.
- Cricket commentator Anant Setalvad, who used to draw pictures of the game’s progress on airwaves with his fine command of the English language passed away .
- Former External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj passed away. She was the 1st full time woman external affairs minister of India.
- Toni Morrison, the 1993 Nobel laureate in literature passed away. She was the 1st African American woman to win the Nobel in literature.
- Former Tamil Nadu Fisheries Minister S. Jennifer Chandran passed away.
- Former Padma Shri award winner and educationist Rajalakshmi Parthasarathy passed away.
- Harley Race, American professional wrestler passed away.
- Veteran director J Om Prakash passed away.
- French inventor Franky Zapata is 1st person in history to cross the English Channel on the jet-powered hoverboard.
- Isro has set up a Space Situational Awareness Control Centre at Peenya in Bengaluru to protect high valued space assets from space debris close approaches and collisions.
- Mohali traffic police have launched 3-D Smart Traffic Signal devised by the students of a Chandigarh university.
- The scientists at the University of Leeds, have created the world’s thinnest gold measuring 2 atoms thick or million times thinner than a fingernail.
- Union Minister of Information & Broadcasting has launched e-Rozgar Samachar. Rozgar Samachar is the corresponding version of Employment News (English)
- Headquarter of ISRO: Bengaluru; Established in: 15 Aug 1969.
- Chairman of DRDO : G Satheesh Reddy, Established in : 1958; Headquarters of DRDO: New Delhi.
- Human Resources Development Minister: Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
- Capital of Thailand: Bangkok, Currency of Thailand: Baht.
- Governor of RBI: Shaktikant Das; Headquarters: Mumbai; Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata.
- Union Culture and Tourism Minister: Prahlad Singh Patel.
- ICC Chairman: Shashank Manohar; Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Administrator of NASA: Jim Bridenstine; Headquarter of NASA: Washington DC, US.
- Union Minister of Information & Broadcasting Ministry: Prakash Javadekar.
- Chief Minister of Bihar: Nitish Kumar; Governor: Phagu Chuhan.
- Union Minister of Information & Broadcasting: Prakash Javadekar.
- Minister of State (In. Charge) of the Ministry of Power: Raj Kumar Singh.
- CM of Rajasthan: Ashok Gehlot; Governor of Rajasthan: Kalyan Singh.
- CM of Maharashtra: Devendra Fadnavis; Governor: CH Vidyasagar Rao.
- Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh: Pema Khandu; Governor Of Arunachal Pradesh: B. D. Mishra.
- Forbes- American Business Magazine, Founded in- 1917.
- CM of Odisha: Naveen Patnaik; Governor of Odisha: Ganeshi Lal.
- Chief Minister of UP: Yogi Adityanath; Governor: Anandiben Patel.
- President and Chief Executive Officer of Mastercard: Ajay Banga.
- CM of Rajasthan: Ashok Gehlot; Governor of Rajasthan: Kalyan Singh.
- CM of Andhra Pradesh: YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
Share your vote!