Get Updated Test Series on Takshila Learning
President Kovind appoints Chief Justices to 7 high courts
- President Ramnath Kovind appoints Chief Justices to seven high courts. Those chief justices have been appointed to Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Punjab and Haryana, Gauhati, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh and Sikkim High
|Lingappa Narayana Swamy||Himachal Pradesh High Court|
|Ravi ShankerJha||Punjab and Haryana High Court|
|Indrajit Mohanty||Rajasthan High Court|
|J.K. Maheshwari||Andhra Pradesh High Court|
|S. Manikumar||Kerala High Court|
|Arup K. Goswami||Sikkim High Court|
|Ajai Lamba||Gauhati High Court|
- Four of the new Chief Justices would fill the vacancies left by Justices V. Ramasubramanian, Krishna Murari, Ravindra Bhat and Hrishikesh Roy, who were elevated to the Supreme Court recently from the Himachal Pradesh, Punjab and Haryana, Rajasthan, and Kerala High Courts, respectively
RBI reduces repo rate by 25 basis points in 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy
- In its 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Committee meeting, the Reserve Bank of India has reduced the policy repo rate by 25 basis points (bps).
- The MPC has also decided to maintain the accommodative stance of monetary policy. The main decisions taken in the 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Committee meeting are:
- The repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) was reduced from 40% to 5.15%.
- The reverse repo rate under the LAF stands revised to
- The marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate is revised to 40%.
- RBI has also reduced the real GDP growth for 2019-20 from
6.9% to 6.1%.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah flagged off Delhi-Katra Vande Bharat Express from the New Delhi Railway Station. The first commercial run of the train will start from 5th
- Palestine has released a commemorative postage stamp on Mahatma Gandhi, honouring his legacy and values, to mark the 150 birth anniversary of the world
- Union Minister Smriti Irani Inaugurates India’s Largest ‘Charkha’ made of Waste Plastic in Noida. This ‘charkha’ (spinning wheel) made of used plastic waste was inaugurated the eve of Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth
- The Nation pays homage to the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th birth anniversary on 2nd October
- The nation is also remembering Former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on his 115th birth anniversary. He gave the nation the powerful slogan of Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan to enthuse soldiers and farmers.
- China unveiled the Dongfeng-41 (DF-41) intercontinental-range ballistic missile, touted to be the most powerful missile on the planet at the National Day parade, as China observed its 70th anniversary of Communist
- The nationwide Paryatan Parv, 2019 kicked off to promote tourism in the country. The aim is to propagate the message of Dekho Apna Desh to encourage people to visit tourist destinations of the country and also spread the message of Tourism for
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Mauritius PM Pravind Jugnauth jointly inaugurated 2 landmark projects in Mauritius via video
- Tourism Ministry has launched the Audio Guide facility “Audio Odigos” for 12 sites of India (including Iconic Sites) on the occasion of “Paryatan Parv
- Passengers of IRCTC’s Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express will be compensated in case of delays, the Railway subsidiary, announcing a first of its kind offer from any national
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath flagged off country’s first private train Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express started its maiden journey from Lucknow. It will be the first train of Indian Railways that will be entirely run by Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC).
- The Goa Maritime Conclave (GMC)-2019 was inaugurated by the National Security Advisor, Shri Ajit Kumar Doval, at Goa.
States in the News
- Rajasthan became the third state in India after Maharashtra and Bihar to ban certain categories of pan masala containing magnesium carbonate, nicotine, tobacco, mineral oil and flavoured ‘supari’. \
- Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik rolled out ‘Mo Sarkar’ programme which finds its roots in the Gandhian philosophy of giving people their voice in daily
- Chief Minister of Uttarakhand Trivendra Singh Rawat launched an awareness campaign
“Urjagiri” which aims at stopping power theft and saving.
- Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh S. Jagan Mohan Reddy will launch the “YSR Vahana Mitra scheme” in Eluru, Andhra Pradesh.
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched the Pragati Rath of the HDFC bank
Bank of Baroda (BoB) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indian Army under which the bank would offer customised services along with a host of facilities to account
Books and Authors
- A book penned by Indian Ambassador to the Netherlands Venu Rajamony titled ‘India and the
Netherlands – Past, Present and Future,’ was released in Amsterdam.
- A new book entitled “The Tech Whisperer”, written by digital transformation expert Jaspreet Bindra, features a chapter on AI (Artificial Intelligence).
- The State Bank of India opened its Melbourne office and becoming the first Indian bank to have a branch in the Australian state of
- Axis Bank, India’s third-largest private sector bank has launched the ‘Express FD’, a digital fixed deposit (FD) product that allows a customer to open an FD account in 3 minutes through the digital mode without opening a savings account with the
- UCO Bank has launched three new digital products called, UCash, Digilocker and an app in Kolkata, West
- The Reserve Bank of India has superseded the Board of Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative Bank Limited, Mumbai and appointed Jai Bhagwan Bhoria as the bank’s administrator with all powers of the
- Senior Indian Information Service officer, KS Dhatwalia, has been appointed as the Principal Director General of Press Information
- SS Mallikarjuna Rao was appointed as the Managing Director(MD)and Chief Executive of the Punjab National Bank(PNB).
- The former Indian captain Kapil Dev decision to resign from the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) of
- Air Marshal S K Ghotia has taken over as the new Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the South Western Air Command (SWAC) of the Indian Air Force (IAF), at Gandhinagar,
- The government has appointed economist Surjit Bhalla as the executive director of the International Monetary Fund for a period of three
- Digital infrastructure provider, Tata Communications has named Amur S Lakshminarayanan as Managing Director and Group Chief Executive Officer designate of the
- The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of India was appointed Amrit Lugun as the next Ambassador of India to
- The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of India notified that Muktesh Kumar Pardeshi was appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to
- Oil India Limited has appointed Sushil Chandra Mishra as the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the
- Vijay Patil has been elected the president of Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA), while Sanjay Naik and Amol Kale were elected as secretary and vice-president
- India successfully test-fired a land-attack version of BrahMos supersonic missile from Chandipur coast in Odisha’s Balasore district. DRDO conducted the test-fire
Awards and Recognitions
- President Ram Nath Kovind will confer the Vayoshreshtha Samman-2019 on the eminent senior citizens and institutions in recognition of their services towards the cause of the elderly
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented the most effective Swachchta Ambassador award to Former Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar on the occasion of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma
- England all-rounder Ben Stokes has been voted Professional Cricketers’ Association player of the year at the Professional Cricketers’ Association
- Human rights lawyer from Kyrgyzstan Azizbek Ashurov was awarded the 2019 UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) prestigious Nansen
Ranks and Reports
- Kerala has topped the “School Education Quality Index” launched by NITI Aayog. Uttar Pradesh was ranked at the bottom of the list. Chandigarh has topped the list of Union
- India’s Wilson Singh and Satish Kumar Prahapati won the gold medal in the 10m platform synchronised diving event at the Asian Age Group Championships held in Bengaluru.
- Jamaican sprint legend Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce won gold medal in 100m race of 2019 IAAF World Championships held in
- Indian fencer Bhavani Devi wins the silver medal in the women’s sabre individual event at the
Tournoi satellite competition in Belgium.
- Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes won the 2019 Russia F1 Grand Prix (Formula 1 GP) at Sochi Autodrom race track in
- Maj Abdul Quadir Khan of the Corps of Signals has won the Silver medal at the 53rd Asian Body Building and Physique Sports Championship held at Batam,
- The United Nations observes 1 October every year as International Day of Older Persons. 2019 Theme: The Journey to Age
- The International Day of Non-Violence is observed on 2 October, the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi.
- World Teachers’ Day or International Teachers’ Days is celebrated on October
- Indian National Army (INA) veteran V Ganesan passed He joined Netaji’s INA at the age of
18 and received six months of military training in Singapore.
- Legendary Mexican singer Jose Jose who was often called ‘El Principe de la Cancion’ or ‘The Prince
of Song, passes away.
- Jessye Norman, the renowned international opera star whose passionate soprano voice won her 4 Grammy awards and the national medal of arts, passed away
- American-Austrian film producer Eric Pleskow the Hollywood tycoon passed
- Renowned kidney transplant surgeon and Padma Shri recipient Dr H L Trivedi passed
- Farook Khan, an Indian-origin journalist in South Africa passed
- Centenarian philatelist and coin collector Krishna Gopalkrishna Kadekodi passed away. He was 102.
- The second highest Buddhist leader of Bangladesh and head of Sima Bihar of Ramu, Satyapriya Mohathero passed away in Dhaka,
- UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) and Doordarshan, country’s public service broadcaster have joined hands to telecast TV bilingual programme ‘Mahatma Lives‘ or ‘Bapu Zinda Hain’ on 1-2 October
- Film Division in association with India Tourism will organise a
“Gandhi Film Festival” in Mumbai from 2nd to 6th October, 2019.
- Power Minister RK Singh and Coal, Mines and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pralhad Joshi have jointly launched PRAKASH – Power Rail Koyla Availability through Supply Harmony- portal in New Delhi.
- National Buildings Construction Corporation(NBCC) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to provide project management consultancy for the development of National Sports University at Imphal,
- The National Basketball Association (NBA) brought to India the first-ever Floating Basketball Court in the Arabian Sea in Mumbai,
- RBI 25th Governor: Shaktikant Das; Headquarters: Mumbai; Founded: 1 April 1935,
- SBI Chairperson: Rajnish Kumar; Headquarters: Mumbai; Founded: 1 July
- DRDO Chairman: G Satheesh Reddy, Established: 1958; Headquarters: New
- Capital of Belgium: Brussels; Currency of Belgium:
- Headquarters of United Nations: New York, USA; Founded: 24 October
- Secretary General of the United Nations: Antonio
- Director-General of UNESCO: Audrey Azoulay; UNESCO Headquarters: Paris,
- President of China: Xi
- Capital of China: Beijing; Currency:
- Chief Minister of Rajasthan: Ashok Gehlot; Governor: Kalraj
- Headquarters of PNB: New Delhi; Founded: 19 May
- Founder: Dyal Singh Majithia and Lala Lajpat
- President of BCCI: C.K. Khanna; Headquarters of BCCI:
- The Indian Air Force is the air arm of the Indian Armed
- Indian Air Force was founded on 08th October
- Headquarters of IAF is in New
- Managing Director & CEO of BOB: P S Jayakumar; Headquarters: Baroda,
- Chairman of Axis Bank: Rakesh Makhija; Headquarters:
- Netherlands Capital: Amsterdam, Currency: Euro and
- Minister of State (I/C) of Tourism Ministery: Prahalad Singh
- Railway Minister: Piyush
- Odisha CM: Naveen Patnaik; Governor: Ganeshi
- Capital of Uttarakhand: Dehradun; Governor: Baby Rani
- Capital of Greece: Athens; Currency of Greece:
- Capital of Niue: Alofi; Currency: Niue dollar, New Zealand dollar.
- Governor of RBI: Shaktikant Das; Headquarters: Mumbai; Founded: 1 April 1935,
- UNHCR Founded: 14 December 1950; Headquarters of UNHCR: Geneva,
- Chief Minister of Manipur: N. Biren Singh; Governor of Manipur: Padmanabha Balkrishna
- MD & CEO of UCO Bank: Atul Kumar Goel; Headquarters: Kolkata, West
- Governor of Himanchal Pradesh: Bandaru