Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
GKToday 04th April 2020 Current Affairs
1. UNGA adopts resolution calling for global solidarity in fight against COVID-19
– The United Nations General Assembly has unanimously adopted a resolution on COVID-19, calling for intensified international cooperation to defeat the pandemic.
– It was co-sponsored by 188 nations including India, the resolution titled Global solidarity to fight the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is first such document on the global pandemic to be adopted by the world organization. It highlighted the unprecedented effects of the pandemic, including the severe disruption to societies, economies, global travel and commerce, and the devastating impact on the livelihood of people.
– The resolution said the General Assembly notes with great concern the threat to human health, safety and well-being caused by the disease. It called for intensified international cooperation in exchanging information, scientific knowledge and best practices and applying guidelines recommended by the World Health Organization.
– The UN Security Council is yet to discuss the Corona virus outbreak, even as the total number of coronavirus cases across the world crossed one million.
GKToday For SSC CGL Exams
The United Nations General Assembly is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations, the only one in which all member nations have equal representation, and the main deliberative, policy-making, and representative organ of the UN.
President: Tijjani Muhammad-Bande
Headquarters: New York, United States
2. Global Coronavirus Cases surpass One Million
– As of 03 April 2020, Global coronavirus cases have surpassed one million figures. According to the World Health Organization, over ten lakh cases have been recorded across 188 countries, including 51,718 deaths.
– Of these fatalities, nearly three-quarters of the deaths are in Europe. A total of 37,709 deaths have been recorded in Europe, with Italy registering 13,915, followed by Spain with ten thousand deaths, France with 5,387 and the United States with 5,316.
– The United States and Canada have 235,900 cases and 5,427 deaths and Asia has 112,061 cases with 3,998 deaths.
Daily Current Affairs for SBI CLERK Exams
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) is the name given to the 2019 novel coronavirus. COVID-19 is the name given to the disease associated with the virus. SARS-CoV-2 is a new strain of coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans.
3. Englishman Bob Weighton confirmed as the world’s oldest man living at 112
– Bob Weighton, from the UK, has been officially confirmed as the oldest person living (male) at 112 Years and 1 day as of 30 March 2020.
– Bob Weighton received the record title after Mr. Chitetsu Watanabe (Japan) passed away on February 23rd 2020 at 112 years and 355 days.
– Bob was born on March 29th 1908, in Kingston-Upon-Hull, Yorkshire and was one of seven children.
– Kane Tanaka from Japan is currently the oldest person living (female) and celebrated her 117th birthday in January.
4. RBI reduces trading timings of currency and debt markets
– In view of the COVID-19 outbreak, the Reserve Bank of India has notified a change in market timings.
– Beginning April 7th, markets dealing with government securities, call/notice/term money, corporate bonds, foreign currency, Indian Rupee Trades, commercial paper and Certificates of Deposit will be working from 10 AM to 2 PM. These revised timings will remain in effect till 17th April.
– In a press release, RBI has said that lockdowns, social distancing, restrictions on movement of staff, work from home arrangements and business continuity plans is posing operational and logistic risks. It further said that thinning out of activity is impacting market liquidity and increasing volatility of financial prices.
– The apex bank has clarified that all regular banking services for customers, including RTGS, NEFT, e-kuber and other retail payments systems will continue to be available as per extant timings. It may also be noted that timing for equity markets has not been revised.
GKToday for SBI PO Exams
The Reserve Bank of India is India’s central bank, which controls the issue and supply of the Indian rupee. RBI is the regulator of entire Banking in India.
5. China to host Asian Youth Games in 2021
– The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) announced that China will host the Asian Youth Games in 2021.
– The Asian Youth Games will be held from November 20-28, 2021 in Shantou, a city on the eastern coast of Guangdong, China.
GKToday For SSC CGL Exams:
The Asian Youth Games is a multi-sport event that is held once in every four years with the athletes participating from all over Asia. The Olympic Council of Asia organizes the Asian Youth Games. The Games are also considered as the second largest sports event after the Asian Games.