Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Today GK Updates : 13th May Daily Current Affairs
1. PM Modi announces Rs 20 lakh cr special economic package to deal with COVID-19
PM Narendra Modi announced a special economic package worth Rs 20 lakh crore to enable self-reliant India. He said this makes up 10 percent of India’s GDP. The package would provide relief to almost every segment of the population and the details of the package would be announced in the next few days by the Finance Minister.
Prime Minister Modi also appreciated the sacrifices and commitment of migrant workers, labourers and others facing the virus outbreak.
He added that Lockdown 4 will be different and have new rules and the people will be informed about it before May 18.
2. Mike Pompeo holds video conference with counterparts from six nations
– US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo hold a video conference with his counterparts from India, Australia, Brazil, Israel, Japan and South Korea on issues related to coronavirus pandemic.
– State Department Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus said that Pompeo and his counterparts discussed the importance of international cooperation, transparency, and accountability in combating the COVID-19 pandemic and in addressing its causes.
– The meeting also discussed collaboration toward preventing future global health crises and reaffirming the importance of the rules-based international.
US Capital: Washington, D.C. President: Donald Trump
3. International Nurses Day: 12th May
– International Nurses Day is observed every year on 12th May globally.
– The theme for 2020 is: “Nursing the World to Health”.
– The World Health Organisation (WHO) has designated the year 2020 as the International Year of the Nurse and the Midwife.
This day is observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale. She was the founder of modern nursing and was a British social reformer and statistician.
4. UN chief extends Telecommuting arrangements at world body’s HQs through June 30
– United Nations chief Antonio Guterres has extended the telecommuting arrangements at the world body’s headquarters through June 30 in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. He said the situation will continue to be reviewed to decide on a phase wise reopening of the premises.
– The UN General Assembly is scheduled to hold elections for five non-permanent Security Council seats on June 17 but the 193-body is now looking at options on how to conduct the elections without having diplomats and envoys of all member states present in the UN General Assembly hall for the secret ballot.
– Globally, the death toll due to COVID-19 has gone up to 287,158 with over four million infections reported so far. The US is the worst affected country, according to Johns Hopkins University tally.
5. India’s unemployment rate comes down to 23.97 pct with ease in lockdown restrictions
– As the government eased some restrictions on economic activity, country’s unemployment rate came down to 23.97 per cent in the week ended May 10 in comparison to 27.11 percent the previous week, according to the data compiled by Centre for Monitoring of Indian Economy (CMIE).
– The data also indicates that some farming activity has resumed during the harvesting season taking the rural unemployment rate down by four percentage points.
– Urban unemployment declined to 27.83 percent from 29.22 per cent in the same period.
6. Indu Shekhar Chaturvedi takes charge as MNRE Secretary
– Indu Shekhar Chaturvedi has assumed charge as Secretary in the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE).
Chaturvedi is a 1987 batch IAS officer and belongs to Jharkhand cadre.
– He succeeds Anand Kumar, who earlier took charge as Secretary in the Ministry of Culture.
– Prior to this appointment, Chaturvedi was serving as Additional Chief Secretary and Additional Secretary (Climate Change Department) of the Ministry of Climate Change Department, Environment & Forest, Government of Jharkhand.