Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 16 June 2020 : GK UPDATES
1. International Yoga Day to be celebrated on digital media platforms
– In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s International Yoga Day on 21st of June will be celebrated on digital media platforms and there would be no mass gatherings.
– The theme for this year is ‘Yoga at Home and Yoga with Family’.
– Ministry of Ayush has appealed to the people to join the world for the Yoga performance on the occasion of 6th International Day of Yoga on 21st June at 7:00 AM from their homes.
– Ministry of AYUSH in association with Prasar Bharati is also organizing a daily telecast of the Common Yoga Protocol on DD Bharati. The Protocol sessions are being telecast daily in the morning from 8 AM to 8:30 AM.
2. FM chairs meeting with Pvt Banks, NBFCs to ensure effective roll out of ECLGS
– Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman chaired a meeting through Video Conference with officials of Major Private Banks and Non Banking Financial Companies to ensure effective roll out of Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme.
– She stressed on the need to extend uninterrupted liquidity to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in this difficult time.
– Last week, Ms. Sitharaman held a meeting with heads of Public Sector Banks and took stock of the total sanctions being made under the emergency credit facility extended by the government. Under the Atma Nirbhar Bharat package, Government announced 3 lakh crore of collateral free loan support to the MSMEs.
3. Anmol Narang becomes first observant Sikh to graduate from US Military Academy
– Second Lieutenant Anmol Narang becomes the first observant Sikh to graduate from the United States (US) Military Academy.
– The graduation ceremony will take place at the US Military Academy at West Point.
– In 1987, the US Congress passed a law that prohibited Sikhs and several other religious communities from maintaining their articles of faith while in the military, despite a history of diverse service and simple accommodations.
4. Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launches Indian Gas Exchange
– Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched the Indian Gas Exchange (IGX), which is the first nationwide online delivery-based gas trading platform.
– IGX has been incorporated as a wholly owned subsidiary of the IEX, which is India’s energy market platform.
– The trading platform will enable market participants to trade in standardised gas contracts.
– IGX is fully automated with web-based interface and it provides seamless trading experience to the customers.
5. Attorney General K K Venugopal to get 1-year extension
– Noted constitutional expert KK Venugopal will continue as the Attorney General of India for one more year.
He has accepted the government’s request to serve as the top law officer of the country beyond June 30 when his current three-year tenure expires.
– Venugopal, a leading lawyer of the country was appointed as Attorney General and succeeded Mukul Rohatgi.
– Known as a doyen of Indian Bar, Venugopal has appeared for the Centre in Aadhaar and Rafale cases among others in the Supreme Court.
6. World Wind Day: 15th June
– Global Wind Day is a worldwide event that occurs annually on 15 June.
– The event is celebrated to spread awareness about wind energy, the various uses of wind energy, and the ways and possibilities as to how wind energy can help change the world.
– EWEA established the day as Wind Day in the year 2007 and later in 2009, EWEA (European Wind Energy Association) and GWEC (Global Wind Energy Council) teamed up with aims to coordinate the events globally and the name was changed to World Wind Day.
– Global Wind Day began in Europe in 2007 and globally in 2009.