Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Today GK Updates : 16th May Daily Current Affairs
1. Government has announced the third tranche of stimulus packages, under the Atma-Nirbhar Bharat Yojana
– Government has announced a 1.63 lakh crore rupee package for agriculture and allied sectors aimed at strengthening infrastructure, logistics and capacity building at farm gate.
– Announcing the third tranche of an overall package of 20 lakh crore rupees to deal with the economic situation arising of COVID-19 pandemic, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced a one lakh crore rupees Agri Infrastructure Fund that will finance projects at farm-gate and aggregation point for efficient post-harvest management of crops.
– Besides, schemes for micro food enterprises, cattle vaccination, dairy sector, herbal plantation, beekeeping, and fruits and vegetables were also announced.
2. ICMR to participate in Global Solidarity Trial by WHO for COVID-19 treatment
– Indian Council for Medical Research, ICMR has fast tracked the roll out of the Global Solidarity Trial launched by the World Health Organization, WHO to help in finding an effective treatment for COVID-19.
– The ICMR-National AIDS Research Institute, NARI is the national coordination site for the trial in India. Four potential antiviral agents, Remdesivir, Chloroquine-Hydroxychloroquine, Lopinavir-Ritonavir and Lopinavir-Ritonavir with interferon are to be evaluated in the trial.
– Global Solidarity Trial is an international clinical trial to compare four treatment options to assess their effectiveness against COVID-19. The trial aims to discover whether any of the drugs slow down the disease progression and improve survival rate.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL Exams
The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health.
Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
3. World Bank approves USD 1 bn aid to India to accelerate COVID-19 social protection response programme
– World Bank has approved one billion US dollar ‘Accelerating India’s COVID-19 Social Protection Response Programme’ to support India. Total commitment from the Bank towards emergency COVID-19 response in India is two billion US dollars.
– This new support will be funded in two phases – an immediate allocation of 750 million US dollars for fiscal year 2020 and a 250 million US dollar second tranche that will be made available for fiscal year 2021.
– World Bank India Head Junaid Ahmad has praised India’s economic stimulus package on private channels as tactical and sign of commitment.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Exams
The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans and grants to the governments of poorer countries for the purpose of pursuing capital projects. It comprises two institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, and the International Development Association.
Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
4. Dr Harsh Vardhan participates in 32nd Commonwealth Health Ministers’ meeting through video conference
Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan participated in the 32nd Commonwealth Health Ministers’ Meeting through Video conference. He highlighted the timely, graded and proactive measures taken by India towards COVID-19 management.
India has been the first country to urge consolidated global action to fight the challenge of COVID-19. Dr Harsh Vardhan said, India has provided essential medicines such as Hydroxychloroquine to almost 100 needy countries, extending solidarity and support during this time of crisis.
Today GK Updates for Bank Exams
The Commonwealth of Nations, generally known simply as the Commonwealth, is a political association of 54 member states, nearly all former territories of the British Empire.
5. WTO Chief to step down on August 31 amid the global economic crisis
– The World Trade Organisation (WTO) chief Roberto Azevêdo resigned from his position on May 14. The unexpected resignation came amid the ongoing global economic crisis due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
– WTO released a statement mentioning that at a virtual meeting of WTO members, the Director-General announced that he would step down from his position on August 31, 2020. It will cut his second term short exactly by one year.
The Brazilian career diplomat’s second four-year term was scheduled to end on September 2021.
Today GK Updates for Bank Exams Preparation
The World Trade Organization is an intergovernmental organization that is concerned with the regulation of international trade between nations.
Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland