Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 17 August 2020 : Today Gk Updates
1. RBI transfers Rs 57,128 crore surplus to the government for the year 2019-20
- The Reserve Bank of India has approved a dividend payout of Rs. 57,128 crores to the government for the accounting year 2019-20.
- In a statement, RBI has informed that it has also decided to maintain a Contingency Risk Buffer at 5.5 percent.
- The Board, chaired by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das, discussed the bank’s operations in the past year and approved its annual report and statement of accounts.
- It also reviewed the current economic situation, continued global as well as domestic challenges besides examining monetary, regulatory and other measures taken by the RBI to mitigate the economic impact of COVID-19 pandemic.
Download Weekly Aug 2020 Current Affairs Questions PDF
The Reserve Bank of India is India’s central bank, which controls the issue and supply of the Indian rupee. RBI is the regulator of the entire Banking in India.
2. PM Modi launches National Digital Health Mission
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the National Digital Health Mission (NDHM) while addressing the nation from the ramparts of the Red Fort on Independence Day
- Under NDHM, every Indian will get a health ID card that will ease access to medical services in the country.
- The vision of National Digital Health Mission is to create a national digital health ecosystem which provides timely and efficient access to inclusive, affordable, and safe healthcare to all citizens.
- The project has been rolled out on a pilot mode in six Union territories and will be implemented by the National Health Authority (NHA).
Static GK For Online bank coaching:
The National Health Authority (NHA) is the apex body responsible for implementing India’s flagship public health insurance/assurance scheme Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) at the national level.
3. Defence Minister approves proposal for major expansion of NCC
- The National Cadet Corps (NCC) is all set for a major expansion to cover 173 border and coastal districts.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has approved the proposal of the National Cadet Corps to meet the aspirations of youth in all the border and coastal districts.
- The proposals of the scheme were announced by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his Independence Day address.
- A total of one lakh cadets from 173 border and coastal districts will be inducted to the NCC. One-third of the Cadets would be girl Cadets. More than 1000 schools and colleges have been identified in border and coastal districts where NCC will be introduced.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc cgl:
The National Cadet Corps is the youth wing of Armed Forces with its Headquarters at New Delhi, Delhi, India. It is open to school and college students on voluntary basis.
Director General: Lt Gen Rajeev Chopra
4. India sends 58 tonnes of emergency aid to Lebanon
- India sent 58 tonnes of emergency humanitarian aid to Lebanon in an air force plane to assist the people affected by the explosions in Beirut on August 4.
- The emergency humanitarian aid was dispatched in a C-17 heavy lift aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) in response to an assessment of requirements by Lebanese authorities.
- The aid sent by India includes emergency medical supplies, wheat flour, sugar, pulses and relief materials such as blankets, dignity kits and sleeping mats, which are required by the large number of people left homeless by the explosion.
Static GK For Online bank coaching:
The total damage has been estimated at $10 billion to $15 billion.
5. MS Dhoni and Suresh Raina retires from International Cricket
- Former Indian skipper, MS Dhoni announcement his retirement from international cricket on August 15, 2020.
- Under his captaincy, India won the 2007 ICC World T20 Cup, the 2010 and 2016 Asia Cups, the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup and the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy.
- Suresh Raina also announced his retirement right after MS Dhoni from international cricket.
- He has played 18 Tests, 78 T20Is, and 226 ODIs for the Indian cricket team. Suresh Raina became the first batsman in the world to hit the T20I century.
6. Former Indian cricketer and Uttar Pradesh Minister Chetan Chauhan passes away
- Former Indian cricketer and Uttar Pradesh minister Chetan Chauhan passed away yesterday following multiple organ failure. He was 73.
- Chauhan was Minister of Sainik Welfare, Home Guards, PRD and Civil Security in the UP Cabinet.
- Chauhan was initially admitted to PGI Hospital in Lucknow after being tested positive for the novel coronavirus last month. Later he was shifted to Medanta hospital in Gurugram.
- During his 12-year-long cricket career, Chauhan played 40 Tests scoring 2084 runs with 16 half-centuries and two wickets.
Static GK FOR IBPS RRB Online Classes:
He was honoured with the Arjuna Award in 1981. Chauhan was twice elected to the Lok Sabha from Amroha in Uttar Pradesh, in 1991 and 1998.