Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 1st FEBRUARY 2020 – GK TODAY UPDATES
1. Economic Survey 2020
- The Economic Survey 2020projects India’s GDP growth at 6-6.5 percent in 2020-21.
- Theme of Economic Survey 2020 – “Enable Markets, Promote ‘Pro-Business’ Policy & Strengthen ‘Trust’ in Economy” – focuses on the theme of integrating old with new through Trust in the economy; promoting pro-business policies and creating wealth and job opportunities
- Headline inflation mounted from 3.3% in the first half of 2019-20 to 7.35% in December 2019-20 due to food inflation rise.
- Gross GST monthly collections crossed Rs 1 lakh crore for five times in 2019-20 till December 2019.
- It talks about the need to bring openness in the market for the creation of wealth through increased investment.
- It also says that India needs more of pro-business policies and break away from pro-crony policies to become a USD 5 trillion economy.
- The Economic Survey calls for the integration of “Assemble in India” with “Make in India” to create more jobs and accelerate growth that can be achieved by adopting China-like policies such as export of goods majorly to rich markets.
- The year 2019 marked the golden jubilee year of Bank Nationalisation. The Survey points out that the growth of Indian Banking Sector has not been proportionate with the overall growth of the economy.
- This year, the Survey throws a light upon the price paid by a person for a Thali in India anywhere, i.e., Thalinomics.
- RBI’s monetary policy stance remained “accommodative” in 2019-20. The Repo rate was cut by 110 basis points in 2019-20 due to slower growth & lower inflation.
- CPI inflation increased to 4.1% in 2019-20 from 3.7% in 2018-19 and WPI inflation declined to 1.5% in 2019-20 from 4.7% in 2018-19.
- The Gross Value Added (GVA) at Basic Prices of ‘Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing’ sector expected to grow by 2.8% for 2019-20.
- The industrial sector has registered a 0.6% growth in 2019-20 and 5% in 2018-19. Fertilizer sector showcased a growth of 4% and Steel sector registered a growth of 5.2% in 2019-20. Industrial growth is estimated at 2.5% of fiscal 2019-20.
- Over 119 crore telephone connections were provided until September 2019.
- The Survey 2018-19 projected the GDP growth at 7% for 2019-20. To achieve this growth, the Survey depicted Private Investment as a key driver for the overall growth and job creation.
STATIC GK for SSC Online Classes:
The Survey is prepared by the Finance Ministry’s Department of Economic Affairs.
2. Indian Coast Guard Day
- Indian Coast Guard (ICG) celebrated its raising day on February 1 every year.
- Though the force was formally established on August 18, 1978, by the Coast Guard Act, 1978, but the interim ICG was established on February 1, 1977, to prevent sea-borne smuggling of goods. ICG protects India’s maritime interests and enforces maritime law, with jurisdiction over the territorial waters of India, including its contiguous zone and exclusive economic zone.
- There are currently 42 Coast Guard stations along the coastal line of the country. Along with this, the force also has five air stations and 10 air enclaves.
STATIC GK for SBI Clerk online classes :
ICGoperates under the Ministry of Defence.
Director General of ICG: KrishnaswamyNatrajan
Indian Coast Guard Ship Vikram Built Under ‘Make in India’ to be Based in Mangaluru.
3. World’s biggest meditation centre in Hyderabad
- Hyderabad added one more global landmark – Kanha Shanti Vanam, the world’s largest meditation centre and the global headquarters of the Heartfulness Institute.
- To mark the 75th anniversary of the organisation, Kanha Shanti Vanam will be dedicated to the first guide of Heartfulness, fondly called Lalaji by the present global guide Daaji.
- Built on 30 acres, the meditation centre with a central hall and eight peripheral halls to accommodate 1,00,000practitioners at one go, making it the largest closed structure meditation centre in the world.
STATIC GK for SSC CGL Online Classes:
Heartfulness is a Raja Yoga system of meditation, also known as ‘SahajMarg’ or the ‘Natural Path’.
It was formalized with the founding of the Ram Chandra Mission in 1945 in India.
4. Rani Rampal: first to win ‘World Games Athlete of the Year’
- Rani Rampal, captain of Indian women’s hockey team, became the first hockey player in the world to win the prestigious ‘World Games Athlete of the Year’ Award.
- She is called the ‘queen’ of Indian hockey. She was the youngest player (15 years) of the Indian hockey team participating in the 2010 World Cup. The Indian women’s hockey team won the Asia Cup in the year 2017 in her captaincy.
- This year, Rani Rampal was awarded the Padma Shri.
- Ukrainian karate player StanislavHoruna secured second and Canadian athlete Rhea Stinn finished third in Powerlifting.
- Sara Lopez of Columbia secured the eighth position in the Archery. She is also the first woman to shoot perfect 150 at stage three of the World Cup held in Medellin.
5. Arvind Krishna becomes new CEO of IBM
- Indian-origin Arvind Krishna has been appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of International Business Machines (IBM) replacing Virginia ‘Ginni’ Rometty.
- Arvind Krishna will be responsible for IBM’s security, IBM Research wing, Cognitive Applications, and IBM Cloud.
- Arvind Krishna joined the list of CEOs of Indian Origin. The list includes names of various famous Indian Origin personalities like – Sundar Pichai (Google), Satya Nadella (Microsoft), ShantanuNarayen (Adobe), Ajaypal Singh Banga (Mastercard), DineshPaliwal (Harman International) among others.
STATIC GK for SBI Clerk online classes :
IBM is a US-based multinational IT company; Headquarters:New York, United States; Founded:June 16, 1911.
6. Yellow rust attack in Haryana and Punjab
- The detection of yellow rust disease in the wheat crop sets off alarm bellsin sub-mountainous parts of Punjab and Haryana.
- Yellow rust, or stripe rust, takes its name from the appearance of yellow-coloured stripes that run parallel to the venation of leaf blades, according to agricultural experts.
- Its symptoms include stunted and weakened plants, shrivelled grains, fewer spikes, loss in number of grains per spike and grain weight.
- The disease usually occurs early in the growth season, when temperature ranges between 2°C and 15°C.
- High humidity and rainfall are favourable conditions for increasing the infection on both leaf blade and leaf sheath.