Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 20 August 2020 : GKToday Updates
1. Union Cabinet approves setting up of National Recruitment Agency to conduct CET
- Union Cabinet has approved setting up of ‘National Recruitment Agency’ to conduct the Common Eligibility Test.
- The announcement was made by Union Minister Prakash Javadekar during a media briefing. He said that the decision will benefit job seeking youth of the country.
- There are over 20 recruitment agencies in the central government though the government is initially making exams of only three agencies common as of now.
- The Common Eligibility Test (CET) will eliminate multiple tests and save precious time as well as resources.
2. IIT Madras retains No. 1 position in list of top innovative educational institutes in India
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras has retained its number-one position in the list of top innovative educational institutes in India for the second consecutive year.
- The premier institute has been ranked number-one in the ‘Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements,’ released by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu, in presence of Union Minister of Education,
- Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank,’ in a virtual event today.
- The ranking was launched last year by the Innovation Cell of the Ministry of Education.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
674 Institutions of National Importance, Central Universities and centrally funded technical institutions participated in the rankings this year, as compared to 496 last year.
3. Minimum balance penalty, SMS charges waived on all SBI savings accounts
- State Bank of India has waived off SMS charges in addition to its penalty waiver on non-maintenance of minimum balance for all its Savings Accounts.
- The public sector bank informed that the waiver of such charges is applicable for all kinds of savings accounts including those with cheque or internet banking facilities.
- Earlier, SBI customers had to maintain an average monthly balance of 3000, 2000 and 1000 rupees in metro, semi urban and rural areas respectively.
- The bank used to levy a penalty of 5 to 15 rupees plus taxes on non-maintenance of average monthly balance.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc cgl:
SBI has over 44 crore savings accounts.
SBI Chairperson: Rajnish Kumar; Headquarters: Mumbai
4. World Humanitarian Day: 19th August
- World Humanitarian Day is observed every year on August 19 to pay tribute to aid workers who risk their lives in humanitarian service and to show support for people affected by crises around the world.
- Thousands of men and women all around the world put their lives in danger working in Humanitarian causes and do it selflessly.
- This year World Humanitarian Day has come at a time when the world is fighting with the Covid-19 pandemic.
GKToday Updates Online Bank Coaching:
In 2009, the UN General Assembly announced this day as World Humanitarian Day in remembrance of the 2003 bomb attack in Baghdad, Iraq in which 22 people including chief humanitarian were killed.
5. LS Speaker Om Birla attends inaugural ceremony of 5th World Conference of Speakers of Parliament
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla attended the inaugural ceremony of the Fifth World Conference of Speakers of Parliament (5WCSP).
- This is the first time that an international Parliamentary Conference of such a magnitude is being organised in Virtual mode.
- Members of Parliament Rajiv Pratap Rudy and Meenakashi Lekhi were present in the Conference.
The theme of the Conference is Parliamentary leadership for more effective multilateralism that delivers peace and sustainable development for the people and planet.
- The Conference is being held in the backdrop of the current crisis of COVID-19 pandemic is expected to strengthen multilateralism and international cooperation in order to rebuild a better world.
Static GK For SSC Online Classes:
The two day Conference is being organized jointly by the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Geneva and the Parliament of Austria with the support of the United Nations (UN).
6. Mali President Ibrahim Boubacar Kita resigns amid military coup
- Malian President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita has announced his resignation amid a military coup. He announced his resignation on state television hours after mutinous soldiers fired shots into the air outside his home before detaining him.
- The dramatic development comes after more than two months of regular demonstrations calling for him to step down three years before his final term was due to end.
- Keita, who was democratically elected and re-elected, was left with few choices after the mutinous soldiers seized weapons from the armoury in the garrison town of Kati and then advanced on the capital of Bamako.
GKToday Updates For Online banking coaching:
Mali, officially the Republic of Mali, is a landlocked country in West Africa and is the eighth-largest country in Africa.