Daily Current Affairs – 23 Jan 2021 : GKToday Updates
1. Nation pays homage to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on his birth anniversary today
- The nation pays homage to great freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on his 125th birth anniversary today.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit West Bengal today to address the inaugural function of the ‘Parakram Diwas’ celebrations at Victoria Memorial in Kolkata.
- A High-Level Committee, headed by the Prime Minister has been constituted for deciding the programs, and to supervise and guide the commemoration throughout the year.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC Classes
The government has decided to celebrate the birth anniversary of Netaji as ‘Parakram Diwas’ on 23rd January every year.
2. Home Minister Amit Shah to chair Plenary session of North Eastern Council Meeting in Shillong
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah will chair the 69th Plenary Meeting of the North Eastern Council (NEC).
- The meeting would be attended by the MoS (Independent Charge), Ministry of Development of North-Eastern Region (DoNER) and Vice-Chairman, Dr Jitendra Singh and members of the NEC comprising Governors and Chief Ministers of the eight north-eastern States.
- There will be presentations from the Ministry of DoNER, NEC, the State Governments and selected Central Ministries on various developmental initiatives and plans for the North-East Region during the two-day session.
- Shah will also launch the Ayushman Bharat programme for central armed police forces at Guwahati in Assam.
3. MoU signed between Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, IIT Roorkee
- Ministry of Road Transport & Highways and Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Roorkee signed an MoU for continuation of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways Professorial Chair focusing on research and development, teaching and training in the area of Development of Highway Infrastructure.
- This collaboration will strengthen Research and Development activities in Road Sector and the Chair professor is expected to provide leadership in conducting and coordinating research, development and teaching in the area of Development of Highway Infrastructure.
4. Myanmar receives 1.5 mn doses of COVID 19 vaccine as gift from India
- Myanmar received 1.5 million doses of COVID 19 vaccine as gift from India to contribute to its effort at inoculating its population.
- Ambassador of India to Myanmar Saurabh Kumar called on the Union Minister for Health & Sports in Nay Pyi Taw to discuss cooperation on COVID19 vaccine and other issues of mutual concern.
- The gift of COVID 19 vaccine to Myanmar is in response to the request received from India’s neighbouring and partner countries for the supply of Indian manufactured vaccines.
Important GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching classes:
The Ministry of External Affairs had said that India will start supplying the COVID 19 vaccine to Bhutan, Maldives, Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar and Seychelles under its grant assistance scheme. Bangladesh had already received 2 million doses of Corona vaccine as a gift from India.
5. Popular Bhajan singer Narendra Chanchal passes away at 80
- Popular Bhajan singer Narendra Chanchal passed away at a private hospital in New Delhi. He was 80.
- Besides several bhajans, Chanchal had also sung songs in Hindi films as well.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi & President Ram Nath Kovind have expressed grief over the demise.