Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
GKToday 30th April 2020 : Daily Current Affairs
1. Punjab extends curfew by two weeks after May 3
– Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh on Wednesday announced extension of curfew in the state by two weeks after May 3.
– In an address to the people of the state, Chief Minister said, as per report of the Expert Committee set up to formulate the state’s exit strategy, and the inputs received from various sections of the society, it was necessary to continue with the lockdown restrictions.
– He has also announced steps for limited lifting of the lockdown restrictions, from tomorrow, in the non-containment and non-red zones, with strict adherence to Covid-19 safety protocols. The curfew/lockdown in the state will now remain in force in Punjab till May 17 though limited easing of restrictions will be in place from tomorrow from 7 am to 11 am every day.
– The containment and red zones will, however, continue to remain under total and strict lockdown. The Chief Minister said, the situation will be reviewed after two weeks and further relaxations will be announced thereafter if the pandemic remains in control.
2 Veteran Bollywood actor Rishi Kapoor passes away
– Veteran actor Rishi Kapoor passed away in Mumbai at the age of 67. He was admitted to a city hospital on Wednesday. The actor returned to India last September after undergoing treatment for cancer in the US for almost a year.
– Rishi Kapoor received the National Film Award for his debut role as a child artist in his father Raj Kapoor’s 1970 film Mera Naam Joker. He won the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor in 2011 for his performance in Do Dooni Chaar, and for his role in Kapoor & Sons, he won the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor in 2017.
He was honoured with the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008
3. Bollywood actor Irrfan Khan passes away at 53
– Renowned Bollywood actor Irrfan Khan passed away at Kokilaben Hospital in Mumbai on April 29, 2020.
– The actor had revealed in March 2018 that he had been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, neuroendocrine tumour.
– Irrfan Khan was considered as one of the finest actors of Indian cinema and as one of its leading faces in the West.
– He has also been associated with many international films like Slumdog Millionaire, A Mighty Heart, Jurassic World and The Amazing Spider-Man.
Irrfan Khan made his Bollywood debut with Mira Nair’s Salaam Bombay in 1988.
4. Govt allows employees of IT companies to work from home till July 31
– Employees of Information Technology (IT) companies can work from home till July 31 as the government has extended the relaxation of VPN norms till the end of July. Companies were earlier not allowed to connect the office VPN to home infrastructure.
– IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad held a meeting with IT ministers from all states in which he communicated the decision.
– Other exemptions include the requirement of security deposit and agreement for WFH facility for IT and IT-enabled services.
– Whether employees are allowed to work from home or when they will be asked to return to office will be at the discretion of the company.
5. Home Ministry allows movement of stranded people including migrant workers, tourists
– The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has revised lockdown guidelines to allow inter-state movement of stranded people including migrant labourers, tourists and students amid the Coronavirus pandemic.
– The MHA issued the revised consolidated guidelines on April 29, 2020, which have to be followed by the concerned departments of the states and union territories.
– The Union Home Secretary Ajay Bhalla announced that buses shall be used to transport the groups of stranded people to their destinations. These vehicles will be properly sanitised and the people will be required to follow safe social distancing norms in seating.
6. Justice Dipankar Datta takes oath as new Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
– Justice Dipankar Datta took oath as the new Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court.
– Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari administered the oath of office to him at Raj Bhavan.
– In view of the coronavirus pandemic, a limited number of guests including Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray and a few judges of the high court attended the ceremony.
– Datta succeeds Justice Bhushan Dhamadhikari who retired as chief justice.