Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Today GK Updates : 5th May Daily Current Affairs
1. DRDO develops Ultraviolet disinfection tower “UV Blaster”
– An Ultraviolet (UV) disinfection tower has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
– It will help in the chemical-free and rapid disinfection of high infection-prone areas. The tower is known as ‘UV Blaster’ which is a UV based area sanitizer.
– It is designed and developed by the Laser Science and Technology Centre (LASTEC). LASTEC is a Delhi based premier laboratory of DRDO and the equipment was developed along with the help of New Age Instruments and Materials Private Limited, Gurugram.
Static GK for SBI Clerk Online classes :
The Defence Research and Development Organisation is an agency of the Government of India, charged with the military’s research and development, headquartered in Delhi, India.
2. Government to bring back Indian citizens stranded abroad in phases from May 7
– The Indian government announced that it will bring back all the Indian citizens stranded abroad in phases, starting from May 7, 2020.
– Many Indians who had gone abroad due to work or other reasons got stuck after nationwide lockdowns were announced across the world to combat COVID-19. The decision brings huge relief to the Indian citizens stranded abroad, as it opens the way for them to come back home in the wake of the deadly coronavirus pandemic.
– The government would be facilitating their evacuation in a phased manner. The citizens will be brought back using aircraft and naval ships.
3. UP govt makes Aarogya Setu app must for those in hotspot areas
– Uttar Pradesh government has made it compulsory to download Arogya Setu app for those living in hotspot areas of the state.
– State government has issued instructions regarding opening of offices, and resuming work in industrial areas.
– Administrative and health department officials have been directed for contact mapping of every case in the hotspot area.
– Five or more persons will not be allowed to gather at any point as part of the covid-19 management.
3. International Firefighters Day: 04th May
– International firefighters day is observed on 4th May every year in order to honour the work and sacrifice made by firefighters. The day also pays respects to those who have lost their lives while performing their duty.
– On this day, people sport a symbolic red and blue ribbon badge. These two colours denote the main elements of a firefighters work. The red colour symbolises fire while the blue is for water. The combination of red and blue is also globally recognised for representing emergency service.
Static GK For SBI Clerk 2020 :
The International Firefighters Day came into existence after five firefighters lost their lives while controlling a wildfire.
4. US President nominates Indian-American as representative to IBRD
– US President Donald Trump has nominated Indian-American Ashok Michael Pinto as a representative to the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
– Pinto was nominated as US Alternate Executive Director of IBRD for a term of two years. If confirmed by the Senate, Pinto would replace Erik Bethel, who has resigned from the post.
– Ashok Pinto currently serves as Counselor to the Under Secretary for International Affairs at the United States Department of the Treasury. He was Special Assistant and Associate Counsel to President George W Bush during private practice at two international law firms.
5. Russia to launch first satellite Arktika-M to monitor Arctic Climate
– Russia will be launching its first Arktika-M satellite to monitor the Arctic climate and environment later this year.
– The information was shared by Vladimir Kolmykov, the General Director of the Lavochkin aerospace company.
– The Arktika-M is a remote-sensing and emergency communications satellite. It will help collect meteorological data from the polar regions of the Earth. The data will help improve weather forecasts and enable scientists to better study climate change.
– The second Arktika-M satellite is also under development and its launch is scheduled for 2023.
Static GK For SBI Clerk 2020 :
Russia Capital: Moscow; Currency: Russian Rouble; President: Vladimir Putin