Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 8 August 2020 : Today Gk Updates
1. PM Narendra Modi to inaugurate Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra today
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra, an interactive experience centre on the Swachh Bharat Mission today.
- A tribute to Mahatma Gandhi, the Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra was first announced by the Prime Minister on 10th April 2017, on the occasion of the centenary celebrations of Gandhiji’s Champaran Satyagraha.
- Prime Minister will also interact with 36 school students, representing the 36 States and Union Territories adhering to social distancing protocols.
Static GK FOR IBPS RRB Online Classes:
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan or Clean India Mission was a country-wide campaign from 2014 to 2019, to eliminate open defecation and improve solid waste management in urban and rural areas in India.
2. DIAT bags 1st prize in Smart India Hackathon 2020
- Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT) has bagged 1st prize in Smart India Hackathon, 2020.
- It was held from 1st to 3rd August at Noida Institute of Engineering and Technology, UP. This 36-hour non-stop digital product building event was a national level competition for software edition, which was organized
- jointly by the Ministry of Human Resource Development and All India Council for Technical Education.
- During the competition, Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacted with the participants in a live event.
Static GK For Online bank coaching:
Six- member team of the institute received one lakh rupees as prize money for solving a technical problem using artificial intelligence.
3. Serum Institute of India signs agreement with Novavax for COVID-19 vaccine supply
- Serum Institute of India, Pune and United States-based Novavax have signed an agreement for the development and commercialization of Novavax COVID-19 vaccine candidate in India and other low and middle- income countries.
- The agreement signed between both the firms is expected to support a minimum of 1 billion doses of NVX-CoV2373 for India and other low and middle- income countries.
- As the agreement focuses on the commercialization of the COVID-19 vaccine only in middle-income countries, it excludes major upper-middle and high- income countries, for which Novavax continues to retain the rights.
4. Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal launches Delhi Electric Vehicle Policy
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched the ‘Delhi Electric Vehicle Policy’ under which the state government will waive road tax and registration fee and will provide an incentive of up to Rs. 1.5 lakh for new cars in the capital.
- The state government will also give incentives of up to Rs. 30,000 for autos, two-wheelers, freight vehicles and e-rickshaws.
- While addressing an online media briefing, he mentioned that the policy aims to boost the economy, reduce pollution levels, and create jobs.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc cgl:
The policy aims to constitute 25 percent electric vehicles by 2024, which is currently just 0.29 percent in the city.
5. India to host ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in 2021; Women’s T-20 postponed till 2022
- International Cricket Council has confirmed that the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2020 that was postponed due to Covid-19 will be held in Australia in 2022. India will host the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 as planned.
- Cricket’s governing body has also decided to postpone the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2021 in New Zealand till February – March 2022 because of the impact the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The format of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 will remain as it was for 2020 and all teams that qualified for that event will now participate in India in 2021.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc:
After ICC’s decision to postpone the T20 World Cup, BCCI decided to use the vacant window to announce the dates for the Indian Premier League. The IPL will be held in the UAE from September 19 to November 10.
6. National Handloom Day: 07 August
- National Handloom Day is being organised on 07 August by the Ministry of Textiles.
- 7th August was chosen as the National Handloom Day to commemorate the Swadeshi Movement which was launched on the same date in the year 1905.
- The objective is to generate awareness about the Handloom Industry among the public and its contribution to socio-economic development.
Static GK for Banking online classes :
The first National Handloom Day was observed on 7th August 2015 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.