Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Today GK Updates : 9th April Daily Current Affairs
1. UP Government to ‘completely seal’ off 15 districts till April 13
– The Uttar Pradesh state government has decided to ‘completely seal’ off 15 districts in the state from 12 am on April 9, 2020 till April 13, 2020. The announcement was made by UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
– The 15 districts include the state’s capital Lucknow and other prime districts such as Ghaziabad, Varanasi, Kanpur, Agra, Firozabad, Saharanpur, Bareilly, Meerut, Bulandshahr, Shamli, Gautam Buddh Nagar, Basti, Maharajganj and Sitapur.
– During this time, no person will be allowed to move out of their homes. Only stores with essentials and medicines will be allowed to remain open and all essential services will be delivered at home.
GKToday For SSC CGL Exams
UP Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath; Governor: Anandiben Patel; Capital: Lucknow
2. UN Chief suspends rotation, deployments of peacekeepers until 30th June
– UN Chief Antonio Guterres has suspended the rotation and deployments of the peacekeepers until 30th of June to mitigate the risk of transmission of the novel Coronavirus.
– UN Chief’s spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said that to ensure the COVID-19-free status of incoming uniformed personnel, and mitigate the risk that UN peacekeepers could be a contagion vector while simultaneously maintaining their operational capabilities.
– Mr Dujarric said to prevent and contain the risk of transmission, rotation and deployments of individual officers, police and military units has been suspended until June 30. India is among the largest troop contributing nations to the UN peacekeeping operations.
Daily Current Affairs for SBI CLERK Exams
The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization that aims to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations and achieve international cooperation.
Headquarters: New York, United States
Secretary General: António Guterres
3. Global trade growth expected to plummet by up to third amid Coronavirus pandemic: WTO
– The World Trade Organisation today said that global trade growth is expected to plummet by up to a third in 2020 due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
– It has warned that the numbers is expected to fall by between 13 percent and 32 percent in 2020 as the COVID-19 pandemic disrupts normal economic activity and life around the world.
– In its main annual forecast, the 164-member WTO pointed out that trade had already been slowing in 2019, before the emergence of the novel coronavirus.
GKToday for SBI PO Exams
The World Trade Organization is an intergovernmental organization that is concerned with the regulation of international trade between nations.
Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
WTO Director-General: Roberto Azevêdo
4. MHRD launches ‘Samadhan’ challenge to invite ideas to fight COVID-19
– The Innovation Cell of the MHRD and AICTE have launched a mega online challenge ‘Samadhan’ to test the ability of students to innovate and offer a quick solution to the Coronavirus pandemic and other such calamities.
– Under the “Samadhan” challenge, the students and faculty will be motivated for doing new experiments, discoveries and provide them with a strong base leading to the spirit of experimentation and discovery.
– Students participating in this challenge will search and develop measures that can be made available to the government agencies, health services, hospitals and other services for quick solutions.
GKToday For SSC CGL Exams:
Union MHRD Minister: Ramesh Pokhriyal
5. CCI approves Hitachi’s proposed acquisition in power grid business of ABB Limited
– The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approves the proposed acquisition of 80.1% stake by Hitachi in the power grid business of ABB Limited.
– Hitachi, headquartered in Japan, is the parent company of the Hitachi group of companies.
– It is active in a variety of business segments including IT Solution, Energy Solution, Industry Solution, Mobility Solution, and Smart Life Solution.
GKToday For SSC CHSL Exams:
Competition Commission of India is a statutory body of the Government of India responsible for enforcing The Competition Act, 2002 throughout India. It was established on 14 October 2003.
6. Indian-American journalist Brahm Kanchibotla dies of COVID-19 in New York
– Indian-American journalist Brahm Kanchibotla has died of COVID-19 that is ravaging New York, the epicentre of the pandemic in the US. The journalist died in after nine days in a hospital.
– Brahm Kanchibotla, 66, was a correspondent for United News of India. During his 28-year career in the US, he had worked for 11 years as a content editor for Merger Markets, a financial publication, and also did a stint with News India-Times weekly newspaper.
– He had emigrated to the US in 1992 after having worked for several publications in India.
GKToday For SSC CGL Exams:
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) is the name given to the 2019 novel coronavirus. COVID-19 is the name given to the disease associated with the virus. SARS-CoV-2 is a new strain of coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans.