Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
TODAY GK UPDATES & CURRENT AFFAIRS – 11TH FEB 2020
1. 1st Khelo India Ice Hockey tournament won by LSRC
- Indian Army’s Ladakh Scout Regimental Centre (LSRC) Red team lifted Khelo India Ice Hockey championship 2020 (Men) trophy by defeating Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) team in final match by a score of 3-2 goals at NDS New Ice Hockey Rink.
- 13 teams participated in the first ever Khelo India Ice Hockey championship.
- The tournament was organised by District Youth Services and Sports in collaboration with Ladakh Winter Sports Club, Leh.
STATIC GK for SBI Clerk online classes :
Khelo India is an initiative started from 2018 taken by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to aware people about the importance of sports and fitness and to develop India as a sporting nation and to promote sports in the country.
2. SC upholds constitutional validity of SC/ST Amendment Act 2018
- The Supreme Court upheld the constitutional validity of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Act of 2018.
- The judgement was delivered on petitions, which argued that the 2018 Amendment to the SC/ST Act should be struck down, as it violates Articles 14, 19, 21 of the Indian constitution and was delivered by a bench comprising Justices Arun Mishra, Vineet Saran and Ravindra Bhat.
- The SC/ST Amendment Act 2018 excludes the provision of anticipatory bail for a person who has been accused of atrocities against SC and STs. Under the act, the investigating officer does not require the approval of any authority to arrest the person accused of such crimes.
3. Pullela Gopichand: 1stIndian to receive IOC’s ‘honourable mention’
- Top Indian badminton coach, Pullela Gopichand was awarded an “honourable mention” at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Coaches Lifetime Achievement Awards 2019 for his excellence and contribution in the field of coaching.
- He is the first-ever Indian to receive the prestigious honour.
- He is currently the Chief National Coach of the Indian national badminton team. He founded and runs the Gopichand Badminton Academy.
- Gopichand had received the Arjuna Award, highest sporting honour, in 1999 and the Dronacharya Award, highest sports coaching honour, in 2009.
- He was awarded India’s third highest civilian award, Padma Bhushan in 2014.
- He is the second Indian after Prakash Padukone to win the All England Open Badminton Championships (2001).
4. Armand Duplantis breaks the Pole Vault World Record
- Armand Duplantis, a 20-year-old Louisiana native, broke the world record in the pole vault with a jump of 20 feet 2 ¾ inches, or 6.17 meters.
- At an indoor meet in Torun, Poland, Duplantis edged by a centimeter the previous record set in 2014 by Renaud Lavillenie of France, the 2012 Olympic champion.
- Duplantis, known widely as Mondo, has already been selected to compete at the Tokyo Games.
- A vaulting phenom from the age of 7 with dual citizenship, Duplantis had to choose which country to represent in international competitions. And he represent Sweden, his mother’s home country, instead of the United States at the Olympics.
5. Top 20 Smart Cities to help bottom 20 as ‘Sister Cities’
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has decided to pair the 20 best performing smart cities as ‘sister cities’ with the poorly performing 20 smart citiesensuring the overall development of various cities in the world.
- According to the list, PM Modi’s parliamentary constituency Varanasi will guide Amritsar, and Ahmadabad will help to improve Chandigarh.
- The program of pairing the best performing smart cities to poorly performing smart cities as ‘sister cities’ is being called 20-20 formula. And these ‘sister cities’ will have to undertake a hundred-day challenge to help the other cities to enhance the ranks and performance of the bottom 20 cities.
- According to internal rankings, 20 best performing cities are – Ahmedabad, Varanasi, Ranchi, Udaipur, Nagpur, Bhopal, Surat, Kanpur, Visakhapatnam, Vellore, Tiruppur, Vadodara, Nashik, Agra, Dehradun, Davanagere, Kota, Pune, Indore, and Amravati.
GK TODAY UPDATES for SSC Online Classes:
Smart Cities Mission – Launched: 2015 – envisions developing an area within 100 cities in the country as model areas based on an area development plan.
6. Bangladesh beat India to win maiden U19 Cricket World Cup title
- Bangladesh beat India by three wickets to win maiden ICC U-19 World Cup title in Potchefstroom, South Africa by the Duckworth-Lewis method. India was unbeaten in the tournament so far, winning all five matches.
- Batting first, India was all out for 177 in 47.2 overs.
- Bangladesh boys created history by winning their country’s first global cricket title
- First time finalists Bangladesh, beat South Africa and New Zealand in their journey to the finals.
- In the semifinal, India defeated arch-rivals Pakistan by 10 wickets.
GK TODAY UPDATES for SSC CGL Online Classes:
ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup – First contested in 1988, as the Youth World Cup.
Number of teams:16; Champion: India (won 4 titles).
7. Well-known novelist – Giriraj Kishore passes away
- Padma Shri awardee andVeteran writer, academician and a well-known Hindi novelist Giriraj Kishore passed away.
- Giriraj Kishore was best known for his novel ”Pehla Girmitiya” that was based on Mahatma Gandhi”s stay in South Africa.
- He was formerly a member of the Sahitya Academy working committee, and the Railway Board.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri by the President of India and was the recipient of the Sahitya Akademi award.
- He was also conferred the Vyas Samman in 2000, and an honorary Ph.D. by Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj University in 2002.