Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 14th FEB 2020
1. Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra renamed as Sushma Swaraj Bhawan
- Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra was renamed as Sushma Swaraj Bhawan and Foreign Service Institute was also renamed as Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service announced by the External Affairs Ministry.
- The move aims to pay tribute to Swaraj’s invaluable contribution as former External Affairs Minister, to honour her legacy and decades of public service.
- Sushma Swaraj was India’s first full-time woman foreign minister and the second woman-ever to hold the post after Indira Gandhi.
- She was a seven-time Parliamentarian and three-time member of legislative assembly. She had served as the fifth Chief Minister of Delhi in 1998 for a short term.
- She passed away on August 6, 2019 due to cardiac arrest at the age of 67 years.
- She was awarded the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second highest civilan award, posthumously in the field of public affairs in 2020.
STATIC GK for SBI Clerk online classes :
Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra was established in 2011 for networking between India and the Indian community aboard.
Foreign Service Institute was set up in 1986 by the Union External Affairs Ministry.
2. New One Rupee Currency Note
- The Government of India will soon release a new one rupee currency note as per the notification of Ministry of Finance which will be equipped with various watermarks.
- The size of this one rupee currency note will be rectangular 9.7 x 6.3 cms.
- It will have the symbol of grains as a sign of agricultural dominance of the country.
- The colour of the note will be pink-green from the front.
- There will be multi-tonal watermarks with Ashoka Pillar and without Satyamev Jayate.
- The value of note would be written in 15 Indian languages. An image of the oil exploration platform ‘Sagar Samrat’ will also be there.
- The printing of this note was first stopped in 1926 because its printing was costlier than its value. After that, its printing was resumed in 1940 which continued till 1994. Once again, its printing was started in 2015.
GK TODAY UPDATES for SSC CGL Online Classes:
One rupee currency note is signed by the Finance Secretary while the other notes are signed by the Governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
Finance Secretary: Atanu Chakraborty.
3. President Ram Nath Kovind presented President’s Colour
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented President’s Colour to Indian Navy’s INS Shivaji.
- INS Shivaji is commanded by Commodore Ravnish Seth and it has served the Indian Navy for 75 years.
- INS Shivaji was established in 1945 and it is one of the leading training establishments of the Indian Navy. The naval unit mainly imparts training to the officers and sailors of the Indian Navy, Indian Coast Guard.
- INS Shivaji also imparts training to friendly foreign naval units in marine engineering, nuclear, chemical and biological defence, main and auxiliary controls and damage control and fire fighting.
- On the occasion, a special cover marking INS Shivaji’s platinum jubilee was also released by the President.
Today GK Update for SBI Clerk online classes :
The President’s colour is the highest honour bestowed upon any Indian military unit.
4. Union Cabinet approves Pesticide Management Bill 2020
- Union Cabinet has approved the Pesticide Management Bill 2020 to promote the use of organic pesticides in the country. The Pesticides Management Bill, 2020 aims to replace the existing Insecticides Act of 1968.
- Under Pesticides Management Bill, 2020, the farmers will be compensated in case of losses of crops due to the use of spurious agrochemicals.
- The farmers will be provided with the information regarding pesticides including their strengths and weaknesses and the risk and alternatives involved and would be made available in all languages.
5. New ICAI President
- Atul Kumar Gupta will be the new President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICAI) for the year 2020-21.
- Nihar Niranjan Jambusaria has been elected as the Vice President of the ICAI for 2020-21.
- Atul Gupta, who has served the chartered accountancy profession for about two decades, was the Vice President of ICAI for the term 2019-20.
- ICAI will first set up an in-house ‘sustainable accounting standards board’ with members from all economic regulators to frame suggestions regarding what more disclosure should companies make in this context and will share that with the global accounting rule maker International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) for adoption.
Today GK Update for SSC CGL Online Classes:
ICAI – Founded: 1 July 1949; Headquarters: New Delhi.
ICAI is the second largest professional Accounting & Finance body in the world.
6. School Health Ambassador Initiative launched
- The central Government launched the School Health Ambassador Initiativeas a part of Ayushman Bharatto spread awareness about the preventive health aspects.
- Under the initiative, two teachers will be identified in every government school as ‘health and wellness ambassadors’.
- Union HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal and Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan jointly released the curriculum for the School Health Ambassador Initiative in New Delhi.
- In the first phase, the programme will be launched in all government primary, secondary and senior secondary schools of aspirational districts. It would be implemented in all the remaining districts in the second year.
- It aims to foster growth, development and educational achievements of school-going children by promoting their health and well-being.
- Two teachers will be selected as ”health and wellness ambassadors” in every government school to raise awareness about preventive health aspects.
- The NCERT has constituted a National Resource Group (NRG) comprising 40 members who have sound training skills and experience in adolescent health.
The School Health Programme (SHP) was launched under Ayushman Bharat by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 14, 2018 in Bijapur, Chhattisgarh as joint collaboration between the Union Ministry of Health, HRD Ministry and the Department of School Education & Literacy.
7. President of Portugal arrived in New Delhi
- President of Portugal Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa arrived in New Delhi on a four day visit to India. This will be President Marcelo’s first visit to India. The last visit by a President of Portugal to India was in 2007.
- During the visit, President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa will be accorded a ceremonial welcome at Rashtrapati Bhavan followed by a visit to Rajghat.
- President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa will also travel to the states of Maharashtra and Goa during his visit.
Portugal – Capital: Lisbon; Currency: Euro.