Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Current Affairs Daily Update In Hindi & English- 12 March 2021
1. First Quad Leaders’ Summit to be held today
- The First Quad Leaders’ Summit will be held virtually today. Prime Minister of India, Australia, Japan and US President will participate in the first Leaders’ Summit of the Quadrilateral Framework.
- The Leaders will discuss regional and global issues of shared interest and exchange views on areas of cooperation towards maintaining a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific region. They will exchange views on contemporary challenges such as resilient supply chains, emerging & critical technology, maritime security & climate change.
- The Leaders will also discuss ongoing efforts to combat COVID-19 pandemic and explore opportunities for collaboration in ensuring safe, equitable and affordable vaccines in the Indo-Pacific region.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC Classes
The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue is an informal strategic forum between the United States, Japan, India and Australia that is maintained by semi-regular summits, information exchanges and military drills between member countries.
2. INS Karanj, third Scorpene-Class Submarine commissioned into Indian Navy
- INS Karanj, India’s third Scorpene-class submarine was commissioned into the Indian Navy in the presence of Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Karambir Singh in Mumbai.
- INS Karanj is part of six Scorpene-class submarines being built under Project-75 by Mazagon Dock Limited in Mumbai.
- The fourth and fifth Scorpene-class submarines- INS Vela & INS Vagir have been undergoing sea trials.
- Scorpene-class submarines are one of the quietest conventional submarines that are currently in service around the world.
Important GKToday Updates For Online Coaching For SSC CGL
Two Scorpene-class submarines- INS Kalvari and INS Khanderi have already been commissioned into the Indian Navy.
3. US Defence Secy General Lloyd J Austin to be on three-day visit to India from March 19
- US Defence Secretary General Lloyd J Austin will be on a three day visit to India from 19th of this month.
- During his visit, Secretary Austin is expected to meet Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and other senior dignitaries of the govt.
- Both Sides are expected to discuss ways to further strengthen bilateral defence cooperation and exchange views on regional security challenges and common interests in maintaining a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific region.
- Discussions regarding defence cooperation would also focus on how both countries could consolidate military-to-military cooperation and defence trade and industry cooperation.
4. Union minister Anurag Thakur appointed as Captain in Territorial Army
- Minister of State for Finance and Corporate Affairs Anurag Thakur became the first serving union minister to be promoted as Captain in the Territorial Army as a regular commissioned officer.
- He is promoted as Captain in the 124 Sikh regiment.
- The four-time BJP MP from Himachal Pradesh’s Hamirpur was commissioned into the Territorial Army as a Lieutenant by the then Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Dalbir S Suhag.
- The Territorial Army, the second line of defence in the hierarchy, comprises volunteers who are imparted military training for about a month in a year. The Territorial Army can be pressed into national service in case of any emergency.
5. Thomas Bach re-elected as IOC president until 2025
- Thomas Bach has been re-elected as president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for an additional four-year term until 2025 with his immediate focus on this year’s delayed Tokyo Games.
- Bach is a German lawyer and former Olympic fencer. He is the ninth and current President of the International Olympic Committee.
- The IOC President said that Tokyo remained the best prepared Olympic city ever and reiterated the games would open on July 23 despite restrictions imposed during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC Preparation Classes
Tokyo Olympics is scheduled to take place from July 23-August 8, 2021. The Games were postponed last year due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.