Get Updated Test Series on Takshila Learning
Daily GK updates & current affairs For SBI PO Exam : 21st May 2019
Here is the Daily GK Update to get you acquainted with the top events that made the headlines today!
1. Indian Peacekeeper To Be Honoured Posthumously By UN
i. Police Officer Jitender Kumar, an Indian peacekeeper is among the 119 military, police and civilian personnel who will be honoured with a prestigious UN medal 2019 for courage and sacrifice in the line of duty.
ii. Police Officer Jitender Kumar made the supreme sacrifice while serving in the United Nations Organisation Stabilisation Mission in the Central African country of Congo.
iii. He will be honoured posthumously with the Dag Hammarskjold Medal as the world organisation observes the International Day of UN Peacekeepers.
Static/Current Takeaways Important For SBI Mains 2019:
- India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Syed Akbaruddin.
- India is the fourth largest contributor of uniformed personnel to the UN peacekeeping.
2. Kapil Sharma Acknowledged As Most Viewed Stand-up Comedian In India And Abroad
i. Comedian-actor Kapil Sharma has been acknowledged as the most viewed stand-up comedian in India and abroad by the World Book of Records London.
ii. Having started his career as a stand-up comedian, Kapil initially performed on several comedy shows.
3. Anti-Terrorism Day: 21st May
i. May 21 is chosen as Anti-terrorism day in India to commemorate the death Anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi died in a terrorist attack.
ii. On this day Anti Terrorism pledge is taken in all the government offices and other public institutions. He served as the prime minister from 1984 to 1989.
Static/Current Takeaways Important For SBI Mains 2019:
- Mr. Rajiv Gandhi was the youngest Prime Minister of India.
4. UAE Celebrates World Day For Cultural Diversity On May 21
i. On 21st May, the UAE celebrated World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development to highlight its efforts in promoting tolerance and cultural diversity.
ii. The event coincides with the country’s declaration of 2019 as the Year for Tolerance. The UAE has cultural relations with many countries and is an active member of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation, UNESCO.
Static/Current Takeaways Important For LIC AAO Mains 2019:
- UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, France.
- Director-General of UNESCO Audrey Azoulay.
5. Joko Widodo Elected President Of Indonesia For 2nd Term
i. Indonesia’s Joko Widodo has been re-elected as president of the country, beating rival Prabowo Subianto, a retired general.
ii. Widodo and his vice-presidential running mate Ma’ruf Amin won the election by a 55.5% to 44.5% margin over Subianto and Sandiaga Uno.
Daily Current Affairs & Gk updates for SBI PO & SBI Clerk online classes 2019
- Indonesia Capital- Jakarta, Currency- Indonesian rupiah.
- Ambassador of India to Indonesia: Pradeep Kumar Rawat.
6. NITI Aayog Pushes For Rs7,500-crore Proposal For AI Platform
i. Niti Aayog has circulated a cabinet note to provide Rs 7,500 crore for the establishment of AIRAWAT, a cloud computing platform along with research institutes.
ii. This is part of the policy think tank’s proposal to create an institutional framework for artificial intelligence (AI) in the country.
Daily Current Affairs & Gk updates for SBI PO & IBPS Clerk 2019 :
- NITI Aayog: National Institution for Transforming India.
- NITI Aayog CEO: Amitabh Kant, Vice Chairman: Rajiv Kumar.
7. Reliance Beats Indian Oil Corporation, Becomes Biggest Indian Company
i. Reliance Industries has toppled state-owned Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) to become the country’s biggest company by revenue.
ii. The Mukesh Ambani-led conglomerate, in the 2018-19 fiscal year that ended March 31, reported a turnover of Rs 6.23 lakh crore. In comparison, IOC posted a turnover of Rs 6.17 lakh crore for the fiscal.
8. SBI Ties Up With FMCG Arm Of The Art of Living
i. The State Bank of India (SBI) has announced a strategic partnership with the FMCG arm of The Art of Living – Sri Sri Tattva.
ii. Under this partnership, YONO users can avail a discount of 15% on the entire range of products offered by Sri Sri Tattva such as food, personal care, healthcare, homecare, BYOGI apparels and Shankara skincare products.
Daily Current Affairs & Gk updates for RRB exam online 2019 :
- FMCG stands for Fast Moving Consumer Goods.
- SBI Chairperson: Rajnish Kumar, Headquarters: Mumbai, Founded: 1 July 1955.
9. Brooks Koepka Returns To World No. 1 After 4th Major Title
i. Brooks Koepka (of USA) returned to the top of the world rankings after his nerve-jangling second straight US PGA Championship victory at Bethpage Black.
ii. The 29-year-old American has now won four major titles in his last eight starts and is the first man to ever hold back-to-back titles in two majors at the same time.
10. 3 time Formula 1 World Champion Niki Lauda Passes Away
i. The former Formula One driver and three-time world champion Niki Lauda has passed away at the age of 70.
ii. He hailed from Austria. Niki Lauda, who won titles in 1975, 1977 and 1984, was hugely admired, respected and liked within F1. He won two titles for Ferrari and one for McLaren.
Important Tags : Gktoday 2019 & Current affairs in Hindi & English / Gktoday / Today Current affairs / Daily Gk Updates / Daily Current affairs /News of the day / Today Current affairs in Hindi 2019 /Today GK updates /7th May 2019 /Important for LIC AAO Mains Exam/ Banking Online Classes