Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 10 August 2020 : Today Gk Updates
1. India bans import of 101 defence items to promote ‘Make in India’
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh announced that the Defence Ministry has decided to ban the import of 101 defence items ‘beyond the given timeline’ to boost the indigenous production.
- As per the Defence Minister, with this move, the domestic industry will receive contracts worth Rs. 4 lakh crores within the next six to seven years as the embargo will be implemented in phases between 2020 and 2024.
- The decision by the government will offer an opportunity to the domestic defence industry to manufacture the items by using their own designs and development capabilities or even adopting the technologies designed and developed by the DRDO.
Static GK FOR IBPS RRB Online Classes:
Officeholders: Rajnath Singh (Minister), Subhash Bhamre (Minister of State)
2. Railways to observe cleanliness week from today to mark Independence Day
- Railways will observe cleanliness week from today to mark the Independence Day. During the week, a special cleanliness drive will be launched to clean the railway stations, trains, tracks, toilets, colonies, work sites and other areas near railway premises and special focus will be given to plastic waste collection along with other waste.
- With a lesser number of passenger trains running on tracks, the opportunity will be utilized to clean the tracks with visible results.
- During this period, awareness drives will also be launched and railwaymen will urge the passengers and general public to keep the trains, stations and tracks clean.
Static GK For Online bank coaching:
Officeholders: Piyush Goyal (Minister), Rajen Gohain (Minister of State)
3. PM Modi inaugurates submarine optical fibre cable connecting Chennai, Port Blair
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates the submarine Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) connecting Chennai and Port Blair to the nation through video conferencing.
- The submarine cable will also connect Port Blair to Swaraj Dweep, Little Andaman, Car Nicobar, Kamorta, Great Nicobar, Long Island and Rangat.
- This connectivity will enable delivery of faster and more reliable mobile and landline telecom services to Andaman and Nicobar Islands, at par with other parts of India.
- At present Andaman and Nicobar Islands have very weak telecom systems that hamper communications with the mainland and within the islands.
4. Dr. Pradeep Kumar Joshi takes oath as Chairman of UPSC
- Dr. Pradeep Kumar Joshi took oath as Chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). He served as Director of the National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration. Dr. Joshi joined the Commission as a member in the year 2015.
- He taught for more than 28 years at postgraduate level and held many important positions in various policy making, academic and administrative bodies.
- He succeeded Arvind Saxena who completed his term as UPSC chairman.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc cgl:
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is India’s premier central recruiting agency. It is responsible for appointments to and examinations for All India services and group A & group B of Central services.
5. World Tribal Day: 09th August
- International Day of the World Indigenous People or World Tribal Day is observed every year on 9th August.
- The day is aimed at promoting and protecting the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
- This year the World Tribal Day celebrations are focussed on preservation and documentation of tribal languages.
- The theme for 2020 year is: COVID-19 and indigenous people resilience.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc:
The date recognizes the first meeting of the United Nations Working Group on Indigenous Populations in Geneva in 1982.
6. Mahinda Rajapaksa sworn-in as Prime Minister of Sri Lanka for the fourth time
- Former President of Sri Lanka, Mahinda Rajapaksa took oath as the Prime Minister of the country for the fourth time on August 9, 2020.
- He was administered the oath by his younger brother and President Gotabaya Rajapaksa at a ceremony held near Colombo.
- Mahinda Rajapaksa had served as President of Sri Lanka from 2005 to 2015. Earlier than that, he also served as the Prime Minister from 2004 to 2005.
Static GK for Banking online classes :
Mr. Rajapaksa has been credited with ending the decade long LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) war in 2009 under his presidency.