Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 10 Feb 2021 : GKToday Updates
1. PM Modi holds talks with Afghan President; Shahtoot dam agreement signed
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi holds summit-level talks with Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani via video conferencing on Feb 9.
- During the meeting, PM Modi expressed concerns over the rising violence in Afghanistan.
- MoU on Shahtoot dam proposed to be constructed on the Kabul river basin, which is one of the five river basins of Afghanistan was signed by Union External Affairs Minister Dr. Jaishankar and Foreign Minister Mr. Hanif Atmar.
- Shahtoot Dam will provide clean drinking water to two million citizens of Kabul and will also be used to provide irrigation water to nearby areas, rehabilitate the existing irrigation and drainage network, aid in flood protection and management efforts in the area and also provide electricity to the region.
Important GKToday Updates For Online banking preparation:
The Shahtoot dam is the second major dam being built by India in Afghanistan, after the India- Afghanistan Friendship Dam [Salma Dam].
2. 41.75 crore bank accounts opened so far under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
- A total of 41.75 crore bank accounts have been opened so far under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) out of which 35.96 crore accounts are operative.
- This was stated by Minister of State for Finance Anurag Thakur in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha.
- Under PMJDY, a bank account can be opened with any bank branch or Business Correspondent including those of Private Sector Banks.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC Classes
PM Modi had announced this scheme on his first Independence Day speech on 15th August 2014.
3. New Zealand Suspends Political, Military Ties with Myanmar after coup
- New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced the suspension of ties with Myanmar. Ardern said that the government will suspend all high-level political and military contact with Myanmar.
- They will also impose a travel ban on the military leaders of Myanmar and ensure its aid programme to the country will not include projects that benefit the military government.
- New Zealand’s Foreign Minister said that they does not recognise the legitimacy of the military-led government and called on the military to immediately release detained political leaders & restore civilian rule.
- Myanmar’s military last week detained Aung San Suu Kyi and dozens of other members of her National League for Democracy (NLD) party.
4. No sign of COVID-19 in Wuhan before December 2019: WHO Team
- WHO’s international team of experts who are currently investigating the origin of Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 in Wuhan, have ruled out the Wuhan lab-leak theory.
- The experts believe that the coronavirus disease, which has killed more than 2.3 million people across the world, originated in bats and could have been transmitted to humans through another mammal.
- The international team backed China’s position that there was no evidence of “large outbreaks in Wuhan” before December when the first official cases have been recorded.
5. Government to invest Rs 400 crores in Goa to make it fisheries hub
- The Union Fisheries Minister Giriraj Singh announced an investment of Rs. 400 crores in Goa for making the coastal state a fisheries hub in India.
- The plan of making Goa a fisheries hub also includes the creation of 30 fish landing jetties, so that fishermen will be able to anchor their boats near their villages.
- Out of the total amount, the Union Government has already sanctioned Rs. 41.7 crores to the state, which will help in reviving the fisheries industry and ensure safe fishing.
- The government is also planning to appoint ‘Sagar Mitra’ for each of the 70 fishing villages in Goa.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC CGL Classes
Goa Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari; Capital: Panaji; Chief Minister: Pramod Sawant