Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 11 Feb 2021 : GKToday Updates
1. Oscars 2021: Indian short film Bittu shortlisted in Live Action Category
- Indian short film ‘Bittu’ has been shortlisted for the 93rd Academy Awards in Live Action Category. India’s official Oscar entry Jallikattu has failed to make it to the International Feature Film shortlist.
- The short film, directed Karishma Dev Dube is based on a true story that tells the tale of a heart-warming friendship between two school-going friends.
- Bittu has emerged amongst the Top 10 candidates after the first round of voting, competing amongst 174 films from across the globe. The second round of voting will begin on March 5, 2021 and it would decide the top 5 films across the globe, making it to the final nominations to be announced on March 15.
Important GKToday Updates For Online banking preparation:
The film had recently won the honour of Best Asian American Student Filmmaker Award in East Region by the Director’s Guild of America. The short film has also made its presence felt in over eighteen film festivals across the world.
2. US Prez announces launch of China task force to counter challenges posed by Beijing
- US President Joe Biden has announced the launch of a new China task force that will provide recommendations on military strategy to the Department of Defense to counter growing challenges posed by Beijing.
- Mr. Biden said, the US needs to meet the growing challenges posed by China to keep peace and defend its interests in the Indo-Pacific and globally. He said, the new panel will look at strategy and operational concepts, technology, and force posture.
- The 15-member task force will have a broad portfolio, including defense strategy, Chinese technology and intelligence, and U.S. alliances and partnerships in Asia.
3. Bangladesh receives USD 200 mn from World Bank for safe water and sanitation services
- Bangladesh has received USD 200 million for Water Sanitation, Hygiene project for rural areas from the World Bank.
- The project aims to provide 3.6 million people access to hygienic sanitation facilities and about 6 lakh people access to clean water in rural areas.
- The funding will provide microcredits to both households and entrepreneurs for water and sanitation facilities. Over 3 lakh poorest households will receive fully subsidised toilets.
- The project also includes the construction of 3000 community piped water schemes and the installation of 312 public toilets and 2,514 hand-washing stations.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC Classes
The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans and grants to the governments of low and middle-income countries for the purpose of pursuing capital projects.
Headquarters: Washington D.C. US; President: David Malpass
4. Former US President Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial begins in US Senate
- Former US President Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial formally began in the Senate.
- The Senate has voted 56-44 to proceed for the first-ever trial of a former President.
- Earlier impeachments included former President Andrew Johnson’s trial in 1868 and Bill Clinton in 1998 for perjury and obstruction of justice and Trump in 2020 for abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC CGL Classes
Trump is the only President in US history to face impeachment trial twice.
5. World Pulses Day: 10th February
- World Pulses Day is observed every year on 10th February.
- The day has been established by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations to recognize the importance of pulses as a global food.
- In 2018, the UN General Assembly decided to mark 10th February as World Pulses Day.
- The Theme for the year 2021 is: “Nutritious Seeds for a Sustainable Future”.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC CHSL Classes
The first World Pulses Day was observed on Feb 10, 2019.