Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 11 July 2020 : Today Gk Updates
1. WHO initiates Independent Panel to evaluate global response to Covid-19
– WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced the initiation of the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response (IPPR) to evaluate the world’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
– In remarks to WHO Member States, the Director-General said the Panel will be co-chaired by former Prime Minister of New Zealand Helen Clark and former President of Liberia Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.
– Operating independently, they will choose other Panel members as well as members of an independent secretariat to provide support. At the historic 73rd World Health Assembly in May, Member States adopted a landmark resolution that called on WHO to initiate an independent and comprehensive evaluation of the lessons learned from the international health response to COVID-19.
Static GK FOR IBPS RRB Online Classes:
Prime Minister Clark leads the United Nations Development Programme and President Sirleaf is a recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.
2. Govt launches AI-based ASEEM digital platform
– The Ministry of Skilled Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) launched Aatmanirbhar Skilled Employee Employer Mapping (ASEEM) digital portal which will help skilled people find sustainable livelihood opportunities.
– The step will improve the information flow and will bridge the demand-supply gap in the skilled workforce market.
– The Artificial Intelligence (AI) based system apart from recruiting the skilled workforce will also help in exploring job opportunities in the post-COVID-19 era.
– Through ASEEM, agencies, employers, and job aggregators who are looking for a skilled workforce in the specific sectors will have the required details at their fingertips.
Static GK For IBPS RRB 2020:
ASEEM is developed and managed by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) in collaboration with the Bangalore based company, Betterplace which specializes in blue-collar employee management.
3. Himachal Pradesh’s Nadaun Police Station ranked as one of best Police Stations of India
Nadaun Police Station of Hamirpur district in Himachal Pradesh has been ranked as one of the best Police Stations of the country.
Certificate of Excellence was provided to this Police Station by Union Home Minister Amit Shah.
The ranking of police stations is carried out by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India and the same was released by the Union Home Minister in a ceremony during DGPs Conference.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Online Exams
Capitals: Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter); Chief Minister: Jai Ram Thakur
Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
4. Asia Cup Cricket tournament postponed till June 2021
– The Asia Cup Cricket tournament, which was scheduled to be held in September this year, has been postponed till June next year by the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) owing to an upsurge in COVID-19 cases in the region.
– The Asian Cricket Council tweeted that after careful consideration and evaluating the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Executive Board of the ACC decided to postpone the Asia Cup tournament.
– Pakistan was to originally host the Asia Cup this time but due to security reasons, the tournament was later rescheduled to be held in Sri Lanka.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL Exams
Current champion: India national cricket team; Most runs: Sanath Jayasuriya (1220)
Most wickets: Lasith Malinga (33); Most successful: India (7 titles)
5. Cabinet approves 12 thousand 450 crore rupees investment in three public sector general insurance companies
– The Union Cabinet has also approved capital infusion in three Public Sector General Insurance Companies.
– 12 thousand 450 crore rupees will be invested in Oriental Insurance Company Limited, National Insurance Company Limited and United India Insurance Company Limited.
– The government had in the budget for FY19 announced its decision to merge these three general insurance companies.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL 2020 Exams
The union cabinet has decided to put on hold the proposed merger of these companies.
6. IOC receives Green Building Leadership Award
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced that its new headquarters in Lausanne has been awarded the European 2020 US Green Building Council (USGBC) Leadership Award.
Olympic House, which also holds the rigorous LEED Platinum certification, is one of the most sustainable buildings in the world.
The award recognises “those advancing the development of sustainable, healthy and resilient buildings, cities and communities in regions around the world”.
The building is powered by renewable energy, part of which is produced on-site. Ninety-five per cent of Olympic House construction waste was recycled, and more than 95 per cent of the former IOC building was recycled or reused.