Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 12 August 2020 : Today Gk Updates
1. PM Modi interacts with CMs of 10 worst Corona affected States
- The Prime Minister reviewed the Coronavirus situation with the Chief Ministers of 10 worst affected states through video conferencing.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said that India will win against coronavirus if these 10 states defeat it as they account for over 80 per cent of the active COVID-19 cases in the country.
- Mr Modi said, we need to follow a new mantra – all those who have come in contact with an infected person should be traced and tested within 72 hours.
- He also stressed on the urgent need to ramp up testing in Bihar, Gujarat, UP, West Bengal, and Telangana.
Static GK FOR IBPS RRB Online Classes:
This was the seventh such interaction with Chief Ministers on the coronavirus crisis.
2. Russia has launched the world’s first COVID-19 vaccine
- Russia became the first country in the world to launch its very own coronavirus vaccine.
- The announcement was made by President Vladimir Putin during a televised video conference call with government ministers.
- The announcement came in the wake of the rising novel coronavirus pandemic that has infected more than 20 million people and killed nearly 750,000 worldwide, thus, crippling world economies.
Static GK For Online bank coaching:
Currently, there are more than 160 vaccine candidates in different stages of production and 27 of them have reached the human trials.
3. Industrial production declines by 16.6 % in June: Govt
- Industrial production declined by 16.6 per cent in June, mainly due to lower output of manufacturing, mining and power generation.
- According to the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) data, manufacturing sector production registered a decline of 17.1 percent, while the output of mining fell by 19.8 and power sector fell by 10 percent.
- However, on a monthly basis, the Index of Industrial Production has shown improvement. The index, which was 53.6 in April, improved to 89.5 in May and 107.8 in June.
- With the lifting of restrictions in the subsequent periods, industrial activity is now resuming.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc cgl:
The IIP for April-June period has contracted by 35.9 per cent, according to the data. It had registered a growth of 3 per cent during the same period last fiscal.
4. EU announces €1.65 million humanitarian aid to flood hit people in South Asia
- The European Union has announced €1.65 million humanitarian aid to support those affected by severe flooding in South Asia, most notably India, Bangladesh and Nepal.
- Out of the total €1.65 million, €500,000 will be used in India to provide food and livelihood assistance and emergency relief supplies and water and sanitation services.
- The support is in addition to the €1.8 million aid announced earlier this year by the EU to support families affected by a series of disasters, including Cyclone Amphan.
The current aid brings the total EU support to victims of disasters in the South Asia region to €3.45 million.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc:
The European Union is a political and economic union of 27 member states that are located primarily in Europe.
Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
5. Education Minister Launches Architectural Education Regulations
- Union education minister, Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank, virtually launched the “Minimum Standards of Architectural Education Regulations, 2020“ in New Delhi.
- While addressing the meeting, Mr Pokhriyal highlighted about unique architectural beauty of India, its monuments and temples.
- The minister said these Regulations, which have been prepared by the experts of the Council of Architecture (CoA), will be able to address the major concerns and challenges lying in the area of human habitat and built environment in the country and propel India to a new high in the areas of innovation and skills development.
6. Renowned lyricist & poet Rahat Indori passes away
- Noted Urdu poet and lyricist Rahat Indori died of cardiac arrest in Madhya Pradesh Indore on 11th August. He was also tested positive for COVID-19.
- The 70-year-old poet was undergoing treatment at Sri Aurobindo Institute of Medical Sciences in Indore where he died after suffering two heart attacks.
- With a 50-year career in poetry, Rahat Indori, an Urdu scholar of great repute, was one of the biggest mushaira (poetic symposium) stars in the country.
- Indori was also known for the lyrics of hit films like Munnabhai MBBS, Kareeb, Ghatak and Ishq.